HGVs and Premium Diesel - the_bandit

Assuming all the benefits of using a 'premium' diesel are accepted, why don't HGVs use it?

HGV's at my local Shell fill up at their dedicated 'Fuel Save' pumps.

HGVs and Premium Diesel - gordonbennet

Fuel and other sytems have to be up to the mark with the bog standard fuel available in the market they are sold in, commercial vehicle marques that get good reputations do so by proving themselves long term dependable and economic in use, not by hype or clever advertising...though it must be said image does play a large role in some fleets.

Most lorries are now on a 3/5 year lease often with full repair and maintenance packages included in the lease, any problems are for the maker to sort and not user chargeable.

I wonder if cars were expected to cover around 800,000 kms over 5 years, with the maker responsible for fixing all non accident/abuse/neglect issues, whether car fuel systems would be a bit more durable.

Not aware of any fleets that have experimented with buying in premium fuels in bulk, that would make for an interesting study, somehow i can't see my gaffer authorising a few gallons of Millers in a glorified Redex shot can (remember those?) to be set beside the pumps..:)

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/08/2016 at 07:27

HGVs and Premium Diesel - oldroverboy.

I wonder if cars were expected to cover around 800,000 kms over 5 years, with the maker responsible for fixing all non accident/abuse/neglect issues, whether car fuel systems would be a bit more durable.

GB... Cars are already made to last 5 years, and some have a warranty to reflect this.

A friend has just traded his ohdear TT quattro for a newer one as the transmission (DSG) warning light was coming on intermittently, still got top book and was told, it will be sent to auction as out of warranty (he told the salesman about the intermittent fault.)

Even a main dealer does not want to fix it!

Car in lovely condition but now (you've guessed 5 years old ) fully audi serviced and extended warranty expired.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/08/2016 at 08:51

HGVs and Premium Diesel - galileo

GB... Cars are already made to last 5 years, and some have a warranty to reflect this.

ORB, 800,000 Km over 5 years is 100,000 miles per year, 2000 miles per week, 330 miles per day for a 6 day week.

Not many cars will do this many miles, admittedly Hyundai warranty is 5 years unlimited mileage, but allowing time for meal breaks, servicing, tyre changes etc several times a year it will be unusual to run that far.

HGVs and Premium Diesel - oldroverboy.

ORB, 800,000 Km over 5 years is 100,000 miles per year, 2000 miles per week, 330 miles per day for a 6 day week.

And trucks have a servicing regime to go with it!

I am sure gordonbennet can enlighten is on that subject,

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/08/2016 at 15:16

HGVs and Premium Diesel - skidpan

Assuming all the benefits of using a 'premium' diesel are accepted,

Please tell us when they were accepted. We ran 1 and sometimes 2 diesels in our household for 20 years and never used premium diesel. In that time we never had a fuel related issue and never had a DPF problem.

I have tried the higher octane petrol on a couple of occations and did not notice any difference to the way the car felt or performed and the fuel economy.

We just buy the standard stuff from either Asda or Tesco and drive.

HGVs and Premium Diesel - the_bandit

Assuming all the benefits of using a 'premium' diesel are accepted,

Please tell us when they were accepted. We ran 1 and sometimes 2 diesels in our household for 20 years and never used premium diesel. In that time we never had a fuel related issue and never had a DPF problem.

I have tried the higher octane petrol on a couple of occations and did not notice any difference to the way the car felt or performed and the fuel economy.

We just buy the standard stuff from either Asda or Tesco and drive.

I'm unable to give you any information about when this was accepted. That's why my question was based on acceptance as an assumption, i.e. something accepted as true without proof. Just one of those 'what if' questions. I'm even using the word 'premium' loosely as this too would appear to be marketing spin!

Edited by the_bandit on 03/08/2016 at 14:45