Fitbit device - Henry the 9th

I am wanting to obtain a device which counts just the number of paces which I take each day.....I believe the recommended amount is 10,000 !

The Fitbit device gives far more information than I require and is far more expensive than I wish to spend.

Please can someone suggest a device which will do what I require?

There is a name for such things but I cannot bring it to mind. My wife has a pacemaker but that serves a different purpose :o)

Thanks in anticipation.

Fitbit device - RobJP

A pedometer.

I've got a Vivofit - which is a watch and pedometer all in one.

Far better than a seperate pedometer, which is another thing you've got to carry.

Far better than using your phone as a pedometer (lots can do it due to accelerometers, but again, you've got to carry it all the time).

Great battery life (mine is on 18 months now, we changed my wife's Vivofit battery a few weeks ago, both the same oge), easy to change battery.

Basically, it is a watch with a single button. The button cycles through time - date - steps taken - steps to go - miles covered - calories used - back to time.

It also has a red 'bar' that fills up if you are inactive, a 'move' reminder, if you like.

You have to connect it to the computer every 6 months to update, when the hour changes. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Thank-you Rob for that very interesting information.

I certainly like the idea of not having to use a device which is additional to my watch.

Bearing in mind that the only information which I want is: How many steps have I taken? would it really be necessary for me to get involved with going on to the Garmin web site?

My reasons for asking this is (1) I am a very OAP and not a computer techie and (2) I have spotted a second hand Vivofit online at less than half the price of a new one (which appeals to me!) but it is without the original box and probably will not include a dongle.

Does the record of how many steps one has taken during the day automatically revert to zero at midnight or does the owner have to put it to zero manually?

Thanks again for responding to my enquiry.....much appreciated.

Fitbit device - RobJP

I'll answer out of order ...

The number of steps re-sets at zero every midnight. The 'target' number of steps for you will vary.

For example, say when you set it up, you put in that you are moderately active. It will set a target of 7500 steps per day. Consistently beat that, and it will up the target by 150 steps. If, conversely, you have a lazy day and fall well short, it'll reduce the next day's target too.

Sadly, yes, you'd need to set it up to use it. If, however, you've got a modern smartphone with bluetooth, then you don't need the 'dongle', which is just for desktops. You can then set up your profile on the Garmin website / app on the phone, and away to go.

I'm not hugely 'techie' myself. My iphone is used for phone calls and a few texts, and if I desperately need to look something up online. But if you can use a computer to log into here, then you're techie enough to set up and use a Vivofit. My mum has one, and she's 78.

EDIT and expand : you can pair your Vivofit with your phone every few days, to see how well you've done, keep track of your targets and goals, etc. Or you can do what I do, which is log in when the hour changes to update the Vivofit and get the hour changed on it !

Edited by RobJP on 01/08/2016 at 23:00

Many thanks, Rob, for that further information.

Fitbit device - tourantass
Hi, I looked at the wearables for tracking activity but were either too big on my wrist or too complecated to sync etc so as I take my iphone on all my bike rides / walks, I use the "ibiker" app (there are others) it maps distance covered, callories, and shows route, however if you just want to count steps the iphone etc will do just that, the advantage (or disadvantage) is I am always contactable :-)