MPV required - Car hire in USA/Canada - OMG what a dismal choice - guygamps

Hi, we are a family of 6, some grown up and left home, but we are holidaying together in Toronto region soon. We want to hire something like a Ford Galaxy.

We had one for years, then a Mitsubishi Grandis - in both cars you can travel 6 + plenty of luggage because you can arrange the seating 2 in front, 3 in middle, 1 in back with 7th seat folded down to give luggage space, so for 6 people the seating is 2+3+1. Same with pretty much every MPV in Europe. I am just off the phone to Avis in Toronto. Every MPV there (from the USA market) is 2 in front +2 in middle plus bench or small 3 seats in the back, meaning it is impossible to hire a car that will take 6 people plus luggage! - you can't even carry 5 people without using the 3rd row, and certainly not 6 plus luggage.

Next we looked at hiring 2 x mid sized cars, something like a Golf, preferably an Estate... with 2 of them we could seat 6 between 2 cars easily with plenty of luggage space. NOT IN THE USA (or Canada) forget it, they only do "sedans" which have s*** about of boot space.

Its not as if Vauxhall and Ford aren't USA owned ! This has the potential to ruin a holiday 3 years in the planning, right now I am in despair, don't know what to do. Any tips? anyone know the USA/Canada rental scene and know of something we should rent?

Thanks

Guy

Edited by guygamps on 08/07/2016 at 21:40

MPV required - Car hire in USA/Canada - OMG what a dismal choice - dan86

What about hiring a 12 seat van like a chevrolet express. I know it's bigger than you are looking for but will have the space for all 6 plus luggage.

MPV required - Car hire in USA/Canada - OMG what a dismal choice - RT

North Americans are bigger than Europeans, by quite a way - so each seat takes up more space.

The Ford Galaxy is current a Ford Europe-only model.

MPV required - Car hire in USA/Canada - OMG what a dismal choice - gordonbennet

Is there still the equivalent of the 70's/80's Ford Econoline Dayvan around, or maybe a proper camper van.

Alternatively are the US own market twin cabbed pick ups or Toyota Tundra wide enough to sit 3 abreast, if so one with hardtop over the bed, sorted.

I don't know, just making some suggestions to investigate.

Possibly more enjoyable than a standard mini bus.

twin cab, seating 3+3 is an interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion, I will investigate

Well I am tied to AVIS (long story) and they offer the FORD F150 SUPER CREW PICK-UP which is twin cab, but despite it's vast size it seats only 5.

:-(

Nothing like a Mercedes Vito being offered either.....

Its not just that the Galaxy is a Europe only model, the whole genre is Europe only, there are SO many MPVs in europe that are 2+3+2 with individual folding / tumbling seats, and not even one in the USA.

MPV required - Car hire in USA/Canada - OMG what a dismal choice - RT

Its not just that the Galaxy is a Europe only model, the whole genre is Europe only, there are SO many MPVs in europe that are 2+3+2 with individual folding / tumbling seats, and not even one in the USA.

To make a vehicle big enough for 2+3+2 North Americans needs a truck!

looking at Enterprise and Thrifty, it doesn't get better, no hatchbacks or station wagons, so a VW is a Jetta but I did find "Chevrolet Tahoe or similar", but yet again it is 2+2+3 so to seat 6 you pretty much have to fill the car. The yanks have no idea about efficient interior packaging at all!

MPV required - Car hire in USA/Canada - OMG what a dismal choice - Graham567

Have a look at this...

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k628252...l

Although you might need to hire 2 of them in order to fit a large amount of cases in.

thanks unfortunately that just confirms how carp the position is... we have a LONG journey from Toronto, I think we will hire 2 largish cars...

The Hyundai Sonata is not bad value and I think it is basically what here we call the i40, so Mondeo sized.....

I am really surprised none of the car rental companies offer anything like a Vito or Caravelle...

Thanks to Honest John... i followed this thread. The Tripadvisor link mentioned Toyota Sienna (which is not offered by Avis, Herts, Enterprise, Alamo), so I googled "Toyota Sienna rental toronto". I have now found 2 companies who offer it and also offer Honda Odysee, Both look like they could take 6 plus luggage. Both companies are offering these very large vehicles at a price far lower than those established big names are offering cars that in fact aren't suited.

Thank you forum members....

MPV required - Car hire in USA/Canada - OMG what a dismal choice - Avant

I think the Americans call a minibus a 'minivan' so googling this might help.

I think the Americans call a minibus a 'minivan' so googling this might help.

A minivan is what we call a MPV they just call a minibus a van like the coverlet exspres and GMC savana

MPV required - Car hire in USA/Canada - OMG what a dismal choice - twitcherman

Recently hired in Canada (Enterprise) - specified standard SUV, got a Dodge Durango with 3rd row of seats and plenty of luggage room. Very comfortable, drove Ottowa-Point Pelee-Bruce Peninsula-Ottowa (3500km) no problems.

MPV required - Car hire in USA/Canada - OMG what a dismal choice - Metropolis.

For the NA market, try a Chevrolet Suburban, they have 7 seats plus an enormous boot even with all the seats up, or as others have suggested, get an American van. They are lovely, Either Ford Econoline or Chevrolet/GMC Express. Acres of room inside those and a lovely v8 engine.

For the NA market, try a Chevrolet Suburban, they have 7 seats plus an enormous boot even with all the seats up, or as others have suggested, get an American van. They are lovely, Either Ford Econoline or Chevrolet/GMC Express. Acres of room inside those and a lovely v8 engine.

The add to this post the chevrolet Suburban can also be a 9 seater in some models.