VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - oldgit

I have been prevaricating about buying this new Golf for about 3 years now as I was worried about the Electronic Hand brake system. A road test this week completely allayed my fears and found it a delight although was not able to try it on very steep hills.

However I was surprise to find that my dealer in Sevenoaks had exactly the car I wanted in stock in Relfex Silver so bought it there and then and pick it up next week. But what worries me now, having put a £1000 deposit down is what is the best way to pay the balance.

Others and indeed the garage have said that using one's Debit Card is the best way to go and indeed i have transferred the necessary money to my Current Account but doubts exist as to whether such a large sum will ring bells with Debit Card system.

My bank's Customer Service dept (in India, I think) having giving me some sort of assurance but one person said I can only pay in £5k blocks so therefore several payments via the card reader would be necessary. Someone else said they will leave a note against the day and for the amount being transacted. The alternative would be an electronic bank transfer but the main dealer said that all their 'cash' transaction are done successfully using a Debit card. Hmmmm

Any advicee to allay my always present anxiety.

VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - Graham567

I paid £11,500 on a visa debt card for my last car and it went through without a hitch.I didn't even inform my bank beforehand about the transaction which is possibly a bit worrying.Stop worrying and enjoy your pick up day.

VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - Big John

I don't buy cars very often but:-

In 2005 when i bought my just over year old Superb I (£8.5k) I used my debit card but had to inform my bank beforehand

In 2015 when I bought my just over year old Superb II (£10.5k) I used my debit card - but couldn't inform my bank anymore

In both cases transaction was as simple as buying a pack of polo's

VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - daveyjp
My last car required a 5 figure payment. Paid on debit card without any problems.
VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - galileo

Bought last three new cars with Debit card, no problems / restrictions with my bank or dealers.

VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - Avant

It should be fine: you may get a phone call or a text from your bank's fraud department following the payment, asking if it was genuine.

But no harm in asking your bank beforehand if you want to be sure: they should have a telephone helpline.

VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - RobJP

When we picked up the new Z4 last year the entire sum was paid via debit card. No problems at all.

Thanks guys, for all your feedback. Think I'll visit my branch tomorrow or Tuesday.

VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - Steveieb

Perhaps the best way to pay for a car especially a second hand car is to pay the initial deposit , or at least £100 on a credit card , and then the balance on a debit card.

This way it makes the credit card company jointly responsible for the deal. and this could make things a lot easier if there are problem with the car during the first six months.

I used this method recently and the garage paid for a replacement battery even though these items were specifically excluded from the warranty.

VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - FP

I have also paid for a car by debit card whilst sat in the dealer's. The payment didn't go through initially; then I had a phone conversation with the bank and all was well.

I get the feeling that this sort of thing is pretty routine.

VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - catsdad
Like others on here I paid for my last car on debit card, c £12k. No problem and no need to call my bank. Had to wait 5 days for building society cheque to clear in my account before I could use the card (welcome to the nineteenth century) but otherwise a breeze.
Looking at the original post I suspect repeated payments of £5k would in fact trigger a fraud alarm rather than avoid one.

Thanks again. I went into by Natwest branch this morning but they said it should be alright and there's nothing they could pre-arrange to completely eliminate a subsequent notication from the fraud dept. I was given a phone number to phone if needs be but this was just their the standard CS one!

I should say that I have already put a £1000 deposit by Debit Card last week and so repeat transactions at the same main dealer should indicate a genuine purchase, surely? Anyway I went online to my bank and registered my mobile number with them by which they can send alerts covering several things.

VW Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Match Edition - Buying new car on Thursday - Smileyman

No - repeated transactions will trigger a fraud alert (eg 3 @ £5,000), however a deposit last week and a final payment this week is not a repeat transaction so should be fine.

If you are worried then take with you the CS telephone number for your bank - and don't be afraid to ask the garage to borrow a 'phone to call the bank - the garage may well have seen this sort of issue before and do want you to complete the payments so ought to be keen to assist.

My bank, yesterday, did give me the telephone number of CS, whom I had phoned last week, anywat. It's a pity I cannot talk to the Fraud dept and tell them to be prepared so to speak but that was never suggested.