Road Fund Licence (again) - Mark (RLBS)
Given the new regs around not being able to get road fund licence without the V5, I wonder how long before you are no longer able to sell/buy a car with tax ?

M.
Road Fund Licence (again) - John S
Mark

Unlikely. Whilst the seller could whip the disc off the screen as he hands over the keys, it makes it difficult for the buyer to drive the thing away legally. The buyer can't tax it before purchase - no V5, and surely not an exemption for tax 'as I've just bought the car, officer'.

Regards

John S
Road Fund Licence (again) - clariman
Did you mean ..........

"Given the new regs around not being able to get road fund licence without the V5, I wonder how long before you are no longer able to sell/buy a car withOUT tax ?"

Makes more sense, as I don't understand the context of your original post!

(Or am I being thick?)

clariman
Well, they want people to register it in their own names. They want them to have to declare their address, which is the only way they get the V5 back in their name.

If you keep buying cars with 9 months tax, then they'll never catch you.

So I wondered if they would then make the RFL owner oriented some how, so that you would HAVE to change it, therefore ensuring that you register the car in your name.

And *I* know the ways around the V5 nonsense, but the authorities don;t seem to have considered that.
Road Fund Licence (again) - PB
>>And *I* know the ways around the V5 nonsense, but the authorities don;t seem to have considered that.<<

Please do tell. I'm after another at auction tomorrow and my preferred car has no V5 as usual.
thanks
PB.
Road Fund Licence (again) - Cliff Pope
So why not make the RFL entirely personal? You buy tokens at £160 per car, and are then free to put one in the window of any car you like. Any car not displaying one would be towed away and confiscated.
You would also be obliged to display an insurance disk in the window, with the same penalty for failure to display.
Road Fund Licence (again) - Dave_TD
Hmmm, but the police don't seem to do anything very much about untaxed cars as it is! Certainly not around our way, anyway.
And how difficult would it be to forge this "insurance disk", or indeed an "MoT disk"? No more difficult than forging a RFL disk, which most people don't seem to bother with because they know they won't get caught.
Road Fund Licence (again) - CM
So why not make the RFL entirely personal? You buy tokens
at £160 per car, and are then free to put one
in the window of any car you like. Any car not
displaying one would be towed away and confiscated.
You would also be obliged to display an insurance disk in
the window, with the same penalty for failure to display.

Because your car would be broken into every 5 seconds and have the non-vehicle specific "token" stolen.
Road Fund Licence (again) - Cliff Pope
Because your car would be broken into every 5 seconds and
have the non-vehicle specific "token" stolen.

Yes, good point. I was just thinking aloud around this idea of making RFL user specific rather than vehicle, and so overcoming the difficulties associated with transfering vehicles.
On reflection increasing fuel tax and abolishing RFL seems the simplest, and catches non-payers. But I see there are other economic arguments.
Scan, edit and print a V5. You don\'t really think a post office checks for watermarks do you ?

Give a local pub/hotel, having explained that you\'re only in the area for a week or two, as the correspondance address and then pick it up.

Give totally the wrong address, mooch around to that address, say that you have been advised that the V5 has been sent to their address in error and if they could hang on to it when it arrives you\'ll pick it up in a few days and get it changed.

It goes on........
Road Fund Licence (again) - Tomo.
I still can't understand why they don't just put a bit more on the petrol and scrap the licence fee, and a late leader of the Labour party, John Smith, then my MP, agreed with me on that (!). The SORN system now implemented could be adapted to keep track of all vehicles.

I admit to an element of special pleading; the bills for Maggie Magentis (utility) and Toad Supra (hobby) come in together and I have just written a cheque for £315, for about 3,000 miles on the one and less than 1,000 on the other over a full year (OK, why do I have both taxed for the full year? - firstly for backup and secondly when I want to put one in my garage the other has to come out on the street).

Anyway, as I believe I would be entitled to something or other at 75 if I ever used public transport, which I don't, the fact that I get a free TV licence should be a precedent!

Tomo
Road Fund Licence (again) - PB
Mark, I guess I could make a V5, especially an old one (newer ones have the details also printed as a very clear 'background' watermark.
But I am lost with the idea of using a different address. How does that help me... can I do a change of address without the V5?
thanks.
PB.
Road Fund Licence (again) - eMBe {P}
>>> And *I* know the ways around the V5 nonsense, but the
authorities don;t seem to have considered that. <<<

They do consider it but cannot be bothered to introduce measures combat serious fraud. Most countries have compulsory photoIDs but not here in the UK. Witness the fact that the scam for obtaining false passports/ID was revealed in "The Day of the Jackal" by Frederick Forsyth (FF) a few decades ago; and the loophole has still not been closed!! This continuing problem was recently exposed on BBC when the reporter obtained birth-certificates, passports, driving licence and numerous credit-cards in the name of FF and surprised FF at a restaurant by claiming that he (the reporter) was a "clone" of the "real" FF.

As we all probably know by now, Laws are generally there for the law-abiding to obey, or occassionally to deter the "opportunist" criminal. Whether it is RFL, Parking, Speeding, or congestion charges, it is the law-abiding citizen who normally pays up.
Road Fund Licence (again) - Trisha TR
As an owner of an everyday car plus a 27 year old classic (it is trust me!) I have to pay two lots of car-tax. Can I drive both at once?

Stick the tax on petrol then you ensure low-users aren't hit with the same £160 stick as the rest. Plus it means people like me don't get really narked off and tempted (tho' not done or condoned) to swap the disks over for short journeys. The main reason for the tax is to check that Insurance and MOT doc's are in order, with the introduction - shortly - of chipped reg plates this necessity will be removed.

With the chip-in-plate being a few years off, before coverage is 100%, a personal tax disc would be the best option (I can't see it going on petrol with need to check Ins & MOT). They should replace tax & Insurance, and (trickier)MOT certificates with something along the lines of a credit card, thus making removal of the items easier.... If they are easier to remove then people will take them with them rather than leaving them in the vehicle thus theft becomes less, not more, likely. Sure there'll be a learning process but this is shortly to happen with the PIN coded credit cards... peeps will learn.