Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 - Clutch biting point has moved.. inwards! - Metropolis.

V Reg car, 130,000 miles on the clock. I was driving on the motorway recently, steady speeds in 5th gear for about 3 hours straight. The clutch biting point has been right on the edge since about 70,000 miles (thats as far as i can remember..)

Pulling off the motorway the other evening it moved to within an inch of the floor. What could cause this? I drove it the next day and the biting point was still in this odd place. The pedal had a totally dead feeling (hard to describe) above the new biting point. Drove again today and the clutch is back in its normal place. Any idea what would cause this?

Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 - Clutch biting point has moved.. inwards! - Big John

Hydraulic/air leak? Check for evidence of clutch fluid on master or slave cylinder

Any air in the system would cause this and "self bleed" overnight as air bubbles rise

Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 - Clutch biting point has moved.. inwards! - Metropolis.

Thanks I will check! I drove it this evening and its right down the bottom again. Otherwise a very reliable car!

Checked the brake reservoir, couldnt see anything in it so limped over to Halfords and all fixed after a healthy dose of DOT4. Much better, serves me right for not checking the obvious!

Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 - Clutch biting point has moved.. inwards! - Peter D

Where did the fluid go. You must have a leak somewhere. Regards Peter

Good question. I'm hoping I can keep it topped up till I can book it in, probably needs a new master/slave cylinder.

Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 - Clutch biting point has moved.. inwards! - Big John

As mentioned further up, pull back the outer seal of master/slave if you can get to them to look for evidence of brake fluid