2004 VW Touran Diesel Difficult Shifting When Cold - enigalive

2004 VW Touran Diesel Estate 2.0 TDI PD Sport 5dr - 6 gear Manual Transmission - Difficulty Shifting When Cold

The problem suddenly started on a Monday morning about a month ago. I tried all possible ways but the gears were so stiff I could not shift at all. After leaving the engine running for about 15 minutes I've managed to shift the gears. Since then it’s now happening on every morning. I think the problem is getting worst now.

Shifting gears has never been a problem since I bought the car in December last year and was all fine during the winter months. I've had a full service at my local Halfords in April so I am wondering if it has got anything to do with the issue. They changed engine oil with full synth but transmission oil was not changed.

Gears shift perfectly fine when the engine is off.

It’s so stiff sometimes as it’s impossible to put it into reverse or first gear. Third gear seems to be ok. So as a workaround I shift the gear first and then start the engine. Problem seems to get sorted itself after about 15-20 minutes’ drive. I have been Googling and found that so many people have complained similar issues. But I was unable to find a proper solution anywhere. I am going to get my local garage to have a look first any may be try with changing transmission oil first.

I would like inputs from our experts here.

Thank you.

Sam.

2004 VW Touran Diesel Difficult Shifting When Cold - RobJP

Transmission oil change as first step, yes - if that fails to solve the problem, then it's most likely a synchro ring in the gearbox.

2004 VW Touran Diesel Difficult Shifting When Cold - Peter D

If you can select gears OK with the engine off then you have a clutch drag problem. Where is the bite point on the clutch pedal.

You hay have a failing Dual Mass Flywheel.

Regards Peter