Vollkswagen Golf Plus - TSI Engine - scot22

I am going to test drive a VW Golf Plus SE 1400 TSI 2008 petrol with 61,000 miles on the clock - full service history and 2 owners.

I have a vague memory of a mechanic once advising to avoid TSI engines potentially expensive repairs. However, not sure and I would value any comments for or against the car. Hoping to be well informed before going.

Vollkswagen Golf Plus - TSI Engine - elekie&a/c doctor

I think these suffer major timing chain issues.HJ is not impressed;www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-plus.../

Thanks, interesting reading.

Vollkswagen Golf Plus - TSI Engine - Big John

How powerful is the Golf Plus tsi?

The more powerful twin charger version of this engine was initially a disaster (timing chain/tensioner, pistons, oil jets) although later mods much better (Look at rear of car for soot/oil on boot lid as early twins can be bad oil burners)

The lower power version (122-125 bhp ) were much better although there have been some reports of timing chain & tensioner issues on earlier versions. Later versions revised and OK

They also like a diet of higher octane petrol

Not all bad though:-

1) They drive really well - suprisingly sprightly from 1500rpm

2) Economy is pretty good is real life

3) Many (not all) have SMF

4) External clutch slave cylinder on the 6 speed manual (not the troublesome concentric slave)

5) Water pump on Aux belt

6) Block/bores robust - liked by engine tuners

HOWEVER - 2008 pre-dates any revisions

I have a 2014 version of this engine in a Skoda Superb (125 bhp) that doesn't need topping up with oil between services and overall economy (tank to tank) is about 46mpg

Edited by Big John on 16/06/2016 at 00:04

Very much appreciate such an informative post, takes time and knowledge. Since I am really looking on it as a second car it appears to have the potential to be a money pit. I am in no hurry and may consider later model when changing cars.

Thanks again

Main dealer has confirmed it is the 2009 engine, alloys etc. Detailed service record, bills for work, two owners.

Are there any big jobs which will come up in service schedule ? I have tried to find schedules myself on internet but not come up with anything.

Any comments appreciated.