Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - yeelesi
Can any one help? I have an A6 2.5 tdi (155bhp)with a multitronic transmission which is delightful in all respects bar one. In cold weather (usually below 2 centigrade) the vehicle won't drive against even a slight incline until the coolant temp hits 20 centigrade (according to Audi, there is a torque limiter) This renders the car a pain to drive on frosty mornings and has left me stranded in multistorey carparks, on cambers etc until the engine warms up. I have driven the same vehicle in minus 10 centigrade in northern europe - no problem. New A6's have been upgraded to 163bhp so the problem is resolved. Not so for the "old" (2002) ones like mine. Audi have been courteous and efficient, declare it as known problem, but say they cannot fix it. Any suggestions? It was minus 2 centigrade this morning....great start to the day!
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - 200SXAndy
Hi Yeelesi
Yes my 2003 A4 2,5tdi 163ps Multitronic is the same, except it will move but I have to rev it like mad to move it at all.

It is going in for a whole week with Audi main dealer in Jan 06 who are going to change the multitronic 6 pack clutch pack for a 2005 spec 7 pack clutch under warranty.

Hope you get to see my response in case you still have the car.
Andy
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - Dulwich Estate
Not a cold weather problem but I'm keen to pick the brains of other multitronic owners. At around 60mph and usually (but not always) if I very gently lift off the throttle it gives a slight jerk. At first I thought it was as though there was a momentary electrical problem, then maybe fuel being cut-off, but now I'm certain it's the transmission. Is it a slip of a clutch or the belt(s)? Over 21,000 miles it's gradually worsened and now sometimes happens at around 40mph. It doesn't seem related to any particular value of engine revs and does it in "manual" mode too. The dealer can find nothing on his diagnostic test and suggests I bring it in for a few days of test driving which I'm reluctant to do just yet. Is this a known problem? It's still under warranty but I'm going to have to deal with it or sell it at 3 years (18 months time).
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - Audikid

Got the multitronic transmission on a 1.8T cabrio and at first didn't like it! I've now done 48k miles in about 19 months and love it. No cold weather issues and I haven't experienced your slight jerk at 60 mph. The only issues I have had is sometimes at parking speeds the transmission is a bit jerky. Usually happens if the car has been left for a few days and I have to edge backwards and forwards to get out of a parking space on our London street. After moving a few feet backwards and forwards to get out of the space when pulling away the transmission can feel very jerky but clears quite quickly.

Fortunatly the car is provided by my office but I would be reluctant to run one out of warranty. Every interaction with a selection of Audi dealers in the SE has been a fairly unpleasant experience and has usually ended with either a big warrenty bill or service charge back to the leasing company :-(

Good luck !
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - Dynamic Dave
Hi Yeelesi
Hope you get to see my response in case you still have the car.

Unfortunately the last time he Last visited the forum was Mon 24 Mar 2003
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - Aprilia
I think its a brave man that would take on one of these contraptions out of warranty. I'm all for new transmission developments, but when it comes to paying for the work out of my own pocket then I'll let others foot the bill first until the technology is proven. I suspect fault-finding 'dynamic' problems on these is a nightmare, and price of parts will be very high. Due to complexity of the transmission, any repair is going to be labour intensive.
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - Audikid
The official line on the durability of the multitronic from Audi is the gearbox oil needs changing every 40k - mine was done at the last service and the cost was about £100 and the steel belts need replacing at 120k - unsure on the cost but you can bet your last £ it won't be cheap at the local Audi Palace.

In humble non technical terms I can't believe the system is that far removed from the old DAF technology - adding steel belts rather than elastic ones mixed up with some computing technology. Although in driving terms the system feels a world away from a DAF derived Volvo 340 auto I had the misfortune of running whilst a (very) poor student circa 1989. It was utterly awful.......but served loyal(ish) cheap service for 3 years.
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - alieneyes
Andy - thanks for your reply. I no longer have the car, having passed it back into my company fleet rather buy it and I now own a E320 Mercedes - however, until recently, I have still had contact with my poor old A6 as it has been run on the fleet as a loaner and only just disposed of. The only observations I would continue to make are as follows;
- It is now a very notchy 6 speeder at 90,000 + miles - the multitronic is long since past its best
- Other A4 +6's on our fleet have been randomly but severely afflicted - some have been fine, others have had entire transmissions replaced. One A4 has had two transmissions in 45,000 miles
- Audi don't give a hoot [which is why I went for an e class this time as I have opted out of company cars and it was my money]
- Never think that an ex company, high mileage Audi is a good buy. The extended life service intervals that our lease company specifies means that an 80000 mile car has had three oil changes in its entire life!

I hope the 163 bhp versions are improved and fixable!

regards yeeles aka alieneyes
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - Aprilia
- Never think that an ex company, high mileage Audi
is a good buy. The extended life service intervals that
our lease company specifies means that an 80000 mile car has
had three oil changes in its entire life!

Well said. There seems to be a rather curious notion on this (and other) sites that high-mileage 'doesn't matter' and a high-mileage ex-co car is a good buy. Having bought many cars at auction over the years (to re-sell) IMHO this is definitely not always the case. A high mileage (i.e. 100K+) 'prestige' car will often turn out to be a nail, with saggy suspension. worn transmission etc etc. Often the paint and trim will look good, but that is not much consolation.
As you rightly point out, VAG cars on variable servicing can turn out to be rather 'neglected' in many ways.
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - madf
"As you rightly point out, VAG cars on variable servicing can turn out to be rather 'neglected' in many ways."

Too right.
I looked at a local Audi A3 with 61k miles (quatrro 130 TDI).

Last service was at 37,000 miles!

And cambelt change was due at 60,000 miles

And the turbo was (unsurprisingly) very noisy.

Sounded a bag of trouble waiting to happen...
madf
Cold weather and Audi Multitronic auto - kelbags

Hi 200SXAndy

I have exactly the same problem with my 2003 A4 2.5TDI 163BHP.

I took it to Audi in December 2005 for the same fault (revving the hell out it on a cold morning) to be told that they couldn't find anything wrong with it!!

However when we had the snow in December I tried to go out in it however I was going up a slight incline on snow /icy road and found that the wheels where just spinning so I had to go home.

So I took it back into Audi in January 2006 they had it for 9 days it came back Friday 10 Feb with a gear box oil change. But have found out this morning it still doesn't feel any different!!!

Have you got your Audi back yet and has your problem been resolved??
Kind Regards
Kelly