Any - British Airways - nick62

Just realised why I do not use British Airways very often!

Anyone who flys reasonably regularly and lives in the North West (Manchester Airport) knows that the vast majority of BA flights require a change at Heathrow (or Gatwick), thus 95% of my journies are with Lufthansa or KLM.

I need to get to and from Geneva next week and unfortunately for me the BA schedule is the best one (Easyjet is full). Well that appeared to be the case until I booked it and needed to speak to customer services. Why does BA use non native English speaking staff in it's call centre, it is crazy!

I have made three calls and I have not been able to understand any of them so thick is their sub-continental English accent.

And which other airline would try and charge an additional £24 for a seat reservation on a fully flexible business class ticket (£940)!!!

I'm flabbergasted.

Edited by nick62 on 26/05/2016 at 18:13

Any - British Airways - Falkirk Bairn

BA & their predecessors BOAC & BEA are/were a law unto themselves.

Hang the customer "we have an airline to run"

In 1971 I paid £220 to fly home (roughly £4000+ in today's money) for a week's holiday - 1 change only @ London.

Cabin Staff went on strike & instead of 11 hours door-to-door it took 2 days - 5 legs, 4 different airlines & no accommodation offered.

Subsequently worked all over the UK for 30+ years and flew 3/4 times per month - I'd wait for another airline rather than fly BA.

Any - British Airways - Wackyracer

I've found BA to be terrible but, unfortunately I end up using them because they are usually my only option due to times and locations I require.

A while back they kindly cancelled my flight and put me on a later flight with just £10 compensation and were completely ignorant to the fact that I'd end up spending a night in Kiev as I would miss the only train of the day that I was booked to travel on.

Then on my regular trips they changed the food from hot food to a sandwich. Everytime I spoke to them about this was like talking to a brick wall. last time I even asked when I checked my baggage in and was shown the screen which showed hot breakfast would be served, on the plane I was given a cold cheese roll.

Any - British Airways - Avant

BA = Baggage in Amsterdam.

Any - British Airways - concrete

It is not just BA. Sleazyjet and others of their ilk are capable of being very customer unfriendly. We seem to get in the way of the smooth running of the airline! Practicality dictates that I pick the airline with the most suitable timetable for my journey, and hope for the best.

An old friend who still lives in North Yorkshire, and flies quite frequently worldwide always completely ignores BA and the others. He takes advantage of the daily flights from Teesside to Shcipol Amsterdam. The reason KLM run a daily service to Amsterdam from several northern airports is simple. They realised that any sane person north of Watford can be in Amsterdam and then pick up a forwarding flight to anywhere, instead of being coralled into the Heathrow/Gatwick hub. Having tried it myself it really works. Check your luggage through, have a coffee and read the paper in Amsterdam and get your connecting flight, simples, and a lot more pleasant than Heathrow/Gatwick. It is always full of Brits in transit which proves KLM are giving customers what they want, or sensible customers are making the right choices.

Cheers Concrete

Any - British Airways - SteVee

I've had many pleasant flights with BA - I used to love the small upper cabin on the 747-200 (all gone now). My recent flights with BA (long haul & short haul) have all gone well. I choose them because I think their flight crews are amongst the best trained - I've been on planes which have had problems, and been impressed with how the problem was handled.
I'd put KLM in the same group as BA for flight crews and can easily understand why someone would change at Schiphol rather than Heathrow; it might have travel tax reductions also.

Fortunately, I don't have to rush around in business these days (thanks (?) to the internet)

Any - British Airways - nick62

I totally agree as 90% of the flights I use are either KLM or Lufthansa out of Manchester.

It was even better about 3 years ago when KLM offered a 3 per day service to Schipol from Liverpool, but it only lasted a year which confused me at the time as it was well used.................................. I found out recently that it was taking business from the Manchester schedule (apparently), so naturally they axed the Liverpool flights!!!!

The great thing about Schipol, is you can walk from one end of the terminal to the other (and there is ONLY ONE TERMINAL).

I once landed early at T2 Heathrow (11:45 to be precise) and found it was not possible to catch the 13:30 shuttle to Manchester. It actually took me more than TWO HOURS from leaving the plane at Heathrow T2 to getting to the gate at T5..................... utterly crazy airport, and they want to build another runway there. Barmy!

Edited by nick62 on 27/05/2016 at 16:59

Any - British Airways - Avant

That must have been before they extended the Piccadilly Line. This is now the quickest way between the terminals I would think.

Any - British Airways - concrete

I suppose air travel has come on a bit since the 70's. The main obstacle for me now is the airport terminal experience. The flight is a minor consideration compared to the rigmarole of check in and security. Also sleazyjets' infuriating habit of not announcing the departure gate until only 15 to 20 minutes before a flight, which makes it a little tight to complete the usual 20 kilometre walk to it!!!!

I used to love British Caledonian, in and out of Libya in the 70's. The worst was Air Algerie to Algiers/Oran. The big treat of the flight was when they brought round a tray of sweets and you were allowed one! The best was Gulfair to Bahrain. Free everything and lots of pretty stewardesses. And they say things improve!!! Cheers Concrete