Opinions required - CB06

I am looking for a new car. I do 18-20k a year, 80% of that is motorway/dual carriageway. The other 20% is up and down country lanes that are not in the best state of repair/pot holed/muddy/bumpy etc. I have a tall husband and two medium sized dogs (the dogs go in the boot) . I also have kit I need to get in and out of the back seat (so need 5 doors) The car park at work is not spacious. I don't want a large car. I would like low running costs, I don't need a high performance or prestige car, I just want a reliable car!

Unfortunately my luck with cars is not good, I did have a Freelander bought new in 1999 that unlike many of its type ran for years, and was still going strong 10 years later having trekked across Europe and done over 120k (though it did need its wiring loom totally redone) and did leak a little bit of oil (but its a Landrover..). I then had a Kia Sorento which I loved (at that point I used it for towing), that was a super car and never had a fault (except the head light bulbs would frequently blow).

Then I got a Kia Cee'd, it was a couple of years old but quite low milage, 2 years later and another 40k on the clock and it was struggling with a few issues and wasn't holding up to my daily journey. I then got a 13 plate Toyota Yaris, with 8k on the clock, 2 years on and an extra 40k on the clock and that is having issues with the DPF.

So, firstly does PCP make any sense in my situation (have worked out the sums and that is fine, including the extra for additional mileage) as it would mean I could keep switching the car (as they seem to keep getting problems when they hit higher mileage)

Secondly, what car would you recommend to me? Either new, nearly new or second hand. Budget is not massive but would like to buy a car that will last

Opinions required - gordonbennet

Whilst in theory your mileage is fine for Diesel, you've encountered problems so maybe petrol.

If you're going new on lease or PCP then within reason it doesn't matter what you get so long as its under warranty...though DPF probs may not be covered.

I'd, predictably, buy a used petrol engined Subaru Forester/Outback and maintain it impeccably, after converting it to LPG with flashlube, but thats my thing and not suggesting it might be a route for you.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/05/2016 at 11:30

Opinions required - craig-pd130

A Skoda Fabia estate might fit the bill - lots of room for dogs / luggage / spouses while maintaining a fairly compact exterior shape & size.

They're pleasant to drive and have a good choice of petrol engines.

Opinions required - Avant

It would help us to help you if you'd tell us what your budget is, but I agree with the suggestion of the Fabia estate. You shouldn't be having DPF problems with your mileage and type of driving, but the Fabia can come with a lively and economical 1.2 litre petrol engine which would suit your needs.

If it isn't big enough, try the Octavia estate, perhaps with the 1.4 petrol engine. Another thought, if you want a smaller 4x4, would be the Suzuki Vitara.

Some people don't like PCPs but I've used them for years and they work very well for my wife and myself. The big advantge of a new car in terns of reliability is that you have the full manufacturer's warranty and you don't have the risk of the car having been neglected or abused by a previous owner.

Opinions required - CB06

thank you for the suggestions so far.

Am thinking about 200-250pcm for the finance if PCP, which would cover the following on first basic search:

Nissan Juke (need to check boot size)

Renault Captur

Fiat 500x

Honda HRV

Mazda CX5

Mitisubushi ASX

Ford Focus

Skoda Fabia

Seat Leon

Mazda 3

Suzuki Vitara

or going second hand, then Golf, Leon, Focus

I know I shouldn't have DPF issues with my driving, but the Yaris has, and the Cee'd should have been brilliant as gets rave reliability reviews, but I think its bad luck in the cars I get and the mix of driving that I do (they do all get full services as and when required etc). Which makes me a little nervous about the next car!

So it comes down to petrol vs diesel, and second hand vs new (do I go PCP and take a hit on the excess mileage, or get second hand and write off the depreciation). My conern about second hand is not only adding on the miles but running out of warranty. Ideally a crystal ball would be perfect to choose my car!

The crossovers look interesting as with higher ground clearance they in theory would cope better with the pot holey bumpy lanes, but not sure how they will cope with the daily motorway trek. Too many options and not sure which models to trust.

Opinions required - Falkirk Bairn

Some of the cars mentioned above can be had for £200-£250 per mont on PCP BUT often the mileage covered is 10K or less - even 6K in some cases - you said yours was 20K so the cost per month will rise.

You could probably still get a car for £200-£250 for 20K/ year BUT this would entail a significant deposit (in the £thousands)

Opinions required - bazza

There's no room in the boot in a Juke. A Qashqai would suit dogs better, what about the 1.5 dci or there's a decent turbo 1.2 petrol.

Other suggestions-- an Auris Sport tourer petrol or petrol hybrid. Long 5 year warranty.

Although I think leasing/PCP is expensive transport, it might suit your situation fairly well, although check the mileage premium. Maybe a diesel or petrol hybrid would offset that in fuel savings?

Opinions required - catsdad

As an occasional dog-walker I find the Honda magic seats very useful if I want the dog(s) in the cabin rather than the boot. Or if the boot is used for the dogs then the magic seats still allow plenty of room for cargo.

Opinions required - Happy Blue!

I really like the Captur and the diesel engine is meant to be very good accoring to HJ - BUT the ride is firm OK for motorways etc, but if you have lots of rutted roads you might wish you hadn't...take one for a drive. Nice driving position, sliding rear seat makes the boot bigger and you can awsah the seat covers in the washing machine.....

Usually some good 0% HP deals for new cars at the Renault dealers.