Audi A4 2.0 TDi SE 4dr 170 (07 reg) - Timing belt change interval - Muksie

Hello Experts,

I am looking to buy my first car and so far it seems it is going to be Audi A4 with 79k on the clock (07 reg).

It has got full AUDI service history available which makes me feel a bit less concerned however when i asked about the timing belt history dealer said it is not due at this point in time. Timing belt is due in a years time. I am not sure if i should believe that as on a lot of forums and websites i can see that at 75k miles generally cambelt is due.

Please assist.

Thanks in advance,

Muksie

Audi A4 2.0 TDi SE 4dr 170 (07 reg) - Timing belt change interval - Railroad.
Service and maintenance intervals no longer apply to cars of this age because no one can tell what kind of stresses and strains it's been subjected too during its life so far. You need to use common sense. On a car of this age, and if it's not been changed I'd say do it. And change the water pump at the same time. The cost of the job will be a lot less than the cost of repair following a cambelt failure, and no one without a crystal ball can tell you when that will happen, but as sure as night follows day one day it will.
Audi A4 2.0 TDi SE 4dr 170 (07 reg) - Timing belt change interval - RobJP

Agree with Railroad. If you buy it, get timing belt, waterpump and all tensioners and rollers changed. I seem to recall that it should cost somewhere in the region of £300 or so. Negotiate the amount off the purchase price.

Not getting it done is playing russian roulette.