Bad Garage guide ! - RobJP

Following on from the 'Lamborghini' thread the other day, I see in the 'Ask HJ' section today, the following :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/67936/engine-cle...e

The question :

Hi John, I had browsed your previous answers and found only a couple of queries on this. 'Exhaust Inspection System' warning light in my car flashed in the dashboard and the car care centre suggested to replace a sensor. The warning light had gone however I noticed a considerable reduction in power. After a few days when I took the car to the motorway and when I tried to speed up after a few miles there was a thud and the engine sounded more noisy(with a further reduction in power). I had to call recovery services and they mentioned that Turbo hose was not fitted firmly(after sensor change in garage), causing oil leak into the engine and surrounding area. However they fixed the hose and straight away power returned to the car. I took the car back to the car centre and they are now suggesting an engine clean which they don't do apparently! My question is, is this the right thing to do? And if yes, are there any good firms doing this? I am worried that if I go to the wrong guys again, this could end up in real trouble! How much does this cost? Any pointers will be much appreciated. Thanks!

The answer :

Why do people take cars to 'car care centres' that don't know what they are doing? This one is liable for the oil spill so you can tell them that if they don't pay for the clean-up you will get it done elsewhere and will sue them for it. Your rights here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

It's all well and good telling people to avoid the bad garages, but if any negative reviews are deleted or censored, then it's impossible for people to know which ARE the bad garages !

Bad Garage guide ! - RT

I agree - and some of the workshops in HJ's Good Garage Guide would be in my nomination list for Bad Garages !