Selling used mini privately - strange but true
Hi, I'm leasing a car soon so have time to advertise my Mini Cooper d at my leisure.
I've got a colleague who is going to store it at their business premesis so he can do test drives with prospective buyers( near to me so I can be present if necessary)

I haven't sold a car for years so any tips or threads on the subject to read.
Thanks.
Selling used mini privately - RT

Make sure that prospective buyers arrange insurance to test drive your car - even if they have "driving other cars" on their normal policy, that won't cover any damage to your car.

Day rate insurance isn't difficult to organise.

Thanks.
Also, how do I work out how to describe the condition of the paintwork, and what price to ask?
Thanks. Also, how do I work out how to describe the condition of the paintwork, and what price to ask?

Clean and polish the car, inside and out - get an online estimate from WBAC then make an appointment for inspection and get their price - that'll give you a bottom line to go up from if yopu sell privately.

Selling used mini privately - RobJP

First off, be honest in your description of the paintwork.

There is nothing more annoying than going to see a car that is advertised as being in 'immaculate condition', only to find it looks like it's had every panel kicked or scratched to death. Also, if you lie about that, a prospective buyer will assume you'd lie about everything else too. And a lot of people will walk away at that point.

So that's it. If it's got a few bonnet chips, say so. You don't need to list every single one, just say that they are there, and a minor parking dent on one side, list it too.

As to price, you could go here to get an idea : www.honestjohn.co.uk/used-prices/ Though do bear in mind that private sale prices are generally 10-15% lower than 'retail' prices. After all, the CRA doesn't apply to private sales, so if the car blows up in 3 weeks they've got no comeback.

Another good idea is ebay for vehicle pricing. On the left hand side, check 'completed listings only', and look for prices in green. Those are sold prices, so the most realistic.

Finally, don't forget webuyanycar, or other such. They are often pretty good for prices (though sometimes try it on), and there is no grief with timewasters, scammers, etc.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion about getting the wbac quote too.

Are you saying I could get more selling to the likes of we buy any car than privately?
The problem with the condition is just that I don't know what constitutes good condition.

The last time I sold a car lots of people ring up saying " what's the least you'll take?"
How do you deal with them ?

Edited by strange but true on 11/05/2016 at 20:51

For people like that, say "It's for sale at (the price). I'm obviously open to offers. If you're serious, come and see it and then you can make an offer".

Put it back on them to adjust from the asking price. Not you.

Most people like that are trader timewasters. Trying it on, hoping to pick up a silly cheap car from a desperate seller, that they can then 'flip' for a higher price

Thanks. Thanks for the suggestion about getting the wbac quote too. Are you saying I could get more selling to the likes of we buy any car than privately? The problem with the condition is just that I don't know what constitutes good condition. The last time I sold a car lots of people ring up saying " what's the least you'll take?" How do you deal with them ?

No - you'd almost certainly get more by selling privately - but you've got the added aggro from timewasters, scammers and fraudsters. The "value" of WBAC is getting a valuation based on inspection, without any obligation.

If punters ring up and ask your lowest price, before looking at it - just respond with "make me an offer once you've seen it".

Selling used mini privately - Galaxy

Personally, I myself wouldn't buy or sell any cars privately these days.

Both are too risky and potentially too much aggravation. It's just not worth it.

Edited by Galaxy on 11/05/2016 at 23:07

Selling used mini privately - gordonbennet

Lowest price you will take question gets short shrift here, the vast majority of those who ask that question outright are not worth the time of day.

If you bothered to continue the conversation you'll find they can invariably buy a newer car higher spec fewer miles in immaculate condition cheaper than yours with variations along the same theme, wonder why they're bothering about yours then?

I'd get it on the market whilst you are still using it, that way storage isn't a problem, its currently insured and taxed...if you price it sensibly and it sells quickly just rent or buy a cheapy worth scrap money till the leaser turns up.

Car at your colleagues premises not at the regd address is going to put genuine buyers off.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/05/2016 at 23:14

Selling used mini privately - bathtub tom
The last time I sold a car lots of people ring up saying " what's the least you'll take?" How do you deal with them ?

When I sell my cars I price them on the lowish side to attract more potential buyers. Let's face it, you want to get rid of it! The price I ask is the price I get, I don't accept offers.

If a potential buyer has been around for ten minutes or more, or if they've been out for a test drive, I get the wife to ring the landline number it's advertised on. She'll then shout "it's someone about the car". I reply, "get their number, tell them someone's looking at it now and I'll call them back".

Selling used mini privately - catsdad
There is good advice accessible from the home page. FAQ 119 covers accepting payment and under the "Advice" tab there is info on selling a car.

On the specifics in this case it's not clear why the OP wants to store it somewhere else but if the intent is to not tax or insure it then it would need to be SORNd which means it can't be test driven.
On the other had if it's kept insured then he ought to advise his insurer of the new parking address as they would regard it as a permanent change even if the intent is not to keep it there long. The point is it's never coming back to where it's registered now so it's "permanently" moved.
I believe DVLA are a bit more accommodating the registered address just has to be one you can be readily contacted at rather than where the car is stored.

Driver insurance is trickier. Not all policies nowadays allow you to drive another car third party. Even if they do then the car still has to be insured in its own right. As stated in an earlier reply they can arrange day insurance but even a genuine buyer might be reluctant to incur this cost on an unseen car. Maybe they could do so online after a demo by the seller as a final step in the deal to allow them to test. An alternative would be for the seller to insure it for "any driver" for a few days.

However you cover the insurance required for testing you need to see proof that any driver is who they say they are and that they are proven to be covered. Socially this can be awkward but this is a business transaction and the risk of being unisured sits with you as well as anyone you let drive.

i suspect that many sellers don't consider these points in much detail or just risk it. Mostly they will get away with it but you can envisage it all going pear shaped. I sold to a trader recently who test drive from my house and I was the first person for weeks to ask to see his documents.

All things considered it's easy to see why WBAC and similar sites appeal to the cautious seller.
Selling used mini privately - bathtub tom
Not all policies nowadays allow you to drive another car third party. Even if they do then the car still has to be insured in its own right.

Where have you got that information from?

Not all policies nowadays allow you to drive another car third party. Even if they do then the car still has to be insured in its own right.

Tom, Not sure where I first learned of these points so did a bit of digging. The first part about cover for other vehicles varying is readily found in guidance on insurance sites such as confused.com or individual insurers. The second point about it's having to insured in its own right is harder to cite authoritative sources for. Perhaps I ought to have said that this too was subject to the detailed terms of individual insurers which is the googled consensus view. Given the expertise on this site I am sure someone can quote an authoritative source either way. I am not sure how the police regard this but one risk you run (if the car itself is not on the insured database) is ANPR picking it up as uninsured during a test drive and the keeper getting a prosecution through the post. If the police do accept the drivers cover as being a valid defence you still face the hassle of getting the test drivers insurance details and corroboration. What if he won't play ball? Or if for some reason his cover is invalid, the owner is up the creek. Sorry, I didn't intend to potentially mislead. It just shows what a minefield this can be.

Edited by catsdad on 12/05/2016 at 14:13

Sorry folks. Above had paras when I sent it in and re-editing to double the para spacing has still not sorted it.
Selling used mini privately - Gibbo_Wirral

Depending on where you sell it, make sure you add as many pictures as you can, as large as possible, and covering all aspects of the car. There's nothing worse than seeing an advert with a dozen exterior shots and not one of the inside, the boot or under the bonnet.

That isn't a blanket restriction - it may apply to many "driving other cars" clauses, but not all - mine doesn't.

The legal requirement to insure any vehicle on the road falls on to the registered keeper - not someone driving it under that clause.

I'm leaving it at a friends because I don't fancy doing a test drive with a stranger.
I would keep it insured until it was sold.

Edited by strange but true on 12/05/2016 at 16:35

I'm leaving it at a friends because I don't fancy doing a test drive with a stranger. I would keep it insured until it was sold.

Think of it this way (putting yourself in the shoes of a prospective buyer)

You go to see a car. The person showing it to you is not the registered owner. The car is not being kept at the registered address.

Those are 2 absolutely essential steps to avoid being scammed. This website even goes through that :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/scams/scams/top-10/top-10-tip...3

And when viewing for a private sale, insist on seeing the car at the seller’s address – where the car should be registered

So it may not be a scam. But it looks like one. And to most private buyers, that's enough to send them packing.

Far better for you to keep it at your place, and ask your friend to come over when someone is coming to look at the car.

I will get myself down to the premesis if a buyer is coming.its a highly reputable medium sized business with 5 branches-not likely to get involved in a scam. In think most people would view the risk as manageable.
I can take the buyer to the registered address which is nearby. I don't really Envisage a problem.
Selling used mini privately - focussed
The last time I sold a car lots of people ring up saying " what's the least you'll take?" How do you deal with them ?

When I sell my cars I price them on the lowish side to attract more potential buyers. Let's face it, you want to get rid of it! The price I ask is the price I get, I don't accept offers.

If a potential buyer has been around for ten minutes or more, or if they've been out for a test drive, I get the wife to ring the landline number it's advertised on. She'll then shout "it's someone about the car". I reply, "get their number, tell them someone's looking at it now and I'll call them back".

Yes-I've used that one before-I get MOH to call my moby, put on her posh voice and say "I'm calling about the car-is it still available?" with the moby on loudspeaker-it does improve their decision making somewhat.

And I've actually had a main dealer salesman try that one on me in a showroom - but I could see the secretary on the phone in the office at the back of him and her lips synched with the voice on the phone.

I asked him "Why does your secretary want to buy this car?"

He went red and changed the subject.