Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Citroen Suspension Oddness - asc99c

Hi all,

Taking kids to swimming today, I hit a pothole and the suspension 'broke' somehow. It felt initially like one of the rear shocks had gone: every bump in the road left the car bouncing from side to side and it felt like the suspension was bottoming out on speed bumps. When I got there (was only half a mile from where it broke) I saw the nearside rear wheel arch was practically sat on the wheel.

I booked in the car at our local (independent) garage for next Tuesday, and hoped I'd be able to tip toe home from swimming.

However, the drive home was fine. The back corner was back up to it's normal height. I gingerly drove over the half dozen speed bumps around the pool and essentially the car felt back to normal. It completed the journey with no problems.

So now I'm really confused! Any ideas how suspension can break and fix itself? And what chance have I got of making it through a 30 mile trip for my nephew's birthday party on Sunday?

Andy

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Citroen Suspension Oddness - Metropolis.

Does your car have the air suspension? Could be that the air suspension bag on that corner released its air and was gradually pumped back up again hence why it is now at normal height. Shouldn't be doing that though. Could be a variety of reasons from a dodgy valve, a knocked sensor (they can be sensitive to water on these models) or a leaky air bag but i'd have thought that would be more gradual!

If it is a leaky bag, best to replace before the compressor dies from being overworked. Much more expensive than a replacement bag.

See here, applies to grand picasso too.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/citroen/c4-picasso/87704/cit...s

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Citroen Suspension Oddness - asc99c

Yes! I knew it lowered for loading etc. but I'd always thought the compressor noise was a little motor moving it! So looks like Citroen would probably pay a share of the cost, but I guess I'd have to take it to Citroen for that. And given prior experience I'd really rather not, if it's only a £120 part anyway.

Any idea how tricky the air spring is to replace? Metal suspension springs are generally 30 mins to an hour IIRC.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Citroen Suspension Oddness - Metropolis.

I think most air systems are similar, so here's a Land Rover Discovery guide..

www.discovery2.co.uk/Rear%20Air%20Springs.html

Doesn't seem overly difficult