Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK6 1.4TSI buying advice - Josh93

So I think (after some really good help from people on here) I have decided on my next car. My budget is around 6-8k (most likely the higher end) and I'm looking at around 4-6 year old Golf with as little miles as possible (around 40-60 problably) and with decent trim (preferably match). I'm looking for any advice on what to really look out for or any other indicitation of what is likely to be a good buy.

One in particular that i've seen is this, which seems like a great car www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160421318...p

Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK6 1.4TSI buying advice - Avant

One that's done 8,000 - 12,000 miles a year is optimum - not too high or not too low.

I think someone has said on your other thread that you should avoid the ones with both turbo- and supercharger. Look for a full VW service history. I can nnever remember whether this engine has a cam belt or chain, but if it's a belt, make sure it's been changed if it was due to be.

And, of course, look on the car-by-car reviews on this site for other things to look out for.

Edit - I think this one's likely to be a chain. Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's only a minority of chains that give problems.)

Edited by Avant on 29/04/2016 at 22:38

Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK6 1.4TSI buying advice - Josh93
Oh really you reckon even for a golf I should be looking at such low mileage? Surely a car with 10k a year for 5-6 years is going to be a good buy as it could be primarily motorway miles. If I was to get a golf with such low mileage it would have to be s sped and probably only 1.2tsi with my budget which isn't appealing to me at all.
Volkswagen Golf - Golf MK6 1.4TSI buying advice - bazza

I think, although I'm no expert on VWs your budget of 8K or a bit more might put you into a 7th generation Golf, if you look hard enough? Which has a belt drive 1.4 and appears a much stronger engine and fine car all round. The MK6 Tsi will be cheaper but does have the chain drive and there's enough noise on the internet forums to conclude it's a weakish aspect. Again, a complete service history is essential.

Don't forget, you can buy the same car exactly in Seat Leon guise, at far better value. Don't get hung up on the badge, VAG are experts at badge engineering !