Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.1 Petrol - Scrap or Sell? - KatyRev

Hi,

I'd appreciate any advice. My car is a Suzuki Alto 1.1 Petrol 2006 with 99,000 miles.

My brakes have been binding so i took my car to the garage today and was told that i need the following repairs..

New handbrake cables x 2

New Handbrake shoes

New rear wheel bearings

And brake binding to be sorted

I was quoted £560 for this. I don't use my car much anymore and don't want to spend lots on it. It's due an MOT shortly so there could be more problems with it. Parts are expensive as Suzuki Alto 2006 parts are stocked anymore.

At the garage, the near rear wheel binding broke so I paid a hefty £177 to get it road-worthy again. I didn't get anything else fixed.

I want to get rid of my car but should i scrap it or try to sell it on? And if so, how do i do this?

I know that Suzukis are reliable and (should be) cheap to run so i don't want to scrap it if someone might want it!

Many thanks.

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.1 Petrol - Scrap or Sell? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think a good option would be to put it in for an mot test before the current one expires to establish what other work will be needed.Based on the findings of the new test,you will be able to establish if the car will be an economic repair.If not,I would put it on flea-bay as spares or repairs with a low start bid.If it sells,then make sure all the details are filled in correctly on the V5 registration document for new keeper.

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.1 Petrol - Scrap or Sell? - KatyRev

Thank you - that's really really helpful and good to hear a kind, non-biased voice after a stressful day!!

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.1 Petrol - Scrap or Sell? - gordonbennet

A large savings could be made getting the rear wheel bearings complete in their hubs...they might even be sealed units in hubs anyway...from a breaker, its entirely possible you could find everything else you need from the same car that was otherwise good but written off due to accident.

I see no reason for this work to cost any more than £250 tops inc the parts from a scrappy.

If the car is otherwise good, it seems a shame to scrap, sounds like its been neglected for so much rear bearing/brake work to be needed all at once, but there could well be several more years of useful life to be had with a bit of tlc.

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.1 Petrol - Scrap or Sell? - bazza

Although £ 600 might seem like a lot, in car terms it's not a massive bill these days. I would follow the above advice. It's easy to be seduced by a £100 a month deal on a new car but looking at even that it's £3600 over 3 years. if u can keep the suzuki going for a few hundred quid it's cheap motoring for a Year or two.

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.1 Petrol - Scrap or Sell? - mark

Take a look on line through sites like Carparts4less or Eurocarparts and you will find all the parts you have listed for around £150. If you can find a current online voucher code you can trim another 10 -15% off that.

I would have then thought 4 hours labour maximum for the parts to be fitted.

Any competent independent garage should be able to do this and you should be able to find one that will charge around £50 an hour if you ring around.

Regards

Mark

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.1 Petrol - Scrap or Sell? - liammcl

just to add to Mark's comments
www.GSFcarparts.com - trade counters , so you can ask if they are the right parts , and order online , with a 45% off, at times

Liam

Edited by liammcl on 29/04/2016 at 02:34

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.1 Petrol - Scrap or Sell? - slkfanboy

Im sure any car not used much is going to have binding/sticking brake issues