Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - mhenderson

I keep wondering if I should buy a new car, first new one since a terrible Renault 9 on no-deposit finance years ago, a car that put me off buying new or Renault ever since. I run a 61 reg 1.6 Focus, which is very good, though it hates speed humps, and is a lovely car to drive. A new one would only be self-indulgence, I know.

In a local Ford dealer they have the new 1.0 EcoBoost Focus, but they seem pricey, compared with a trade-in offer. Am I right in thinking that the 'special deals' advertised only apply if you take out credit ? All manufacturers seem desperately keen to sell you some kind of credit, which I don't want. I don't want any of the other stuff like Gap insurance either. I'm old fashioned and just want to go and buy it for cash. Is this so unusual ? I don't want to lease one, or anything else.

Perhaps I'll stick to the old one, especially after reading about dubious claims for high m.p.g., as I know my 1.6 petrol is reasonably good on fuel consumption.

Perhaps I'll carry on dithering, and not spend any money.

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - RobJP

Yes, it seems a lot of discounts are tied to finance deals. Most dealers seem to want to sell finance more than they want to sell cars.

You could always try brokers : for example coast 2 coast (I've just been on and checked) are quoting £3,726 off a Ecoboost Focus 'style'. Though, once again, they do say that the discount includes £1450 finance contribution, and if not taking finance then you'd need to add that back in.

There is a sneaky alternative. Under various consumer protection / finance laws, you can cancel and settle a finance agreement with (I think) 2 weeks, and pay no penalties. So you buy a car on finance, and then settle it within that fortnight.

Do note : I'm not in any way an expert on this sort of thing. But I know people who have done it

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - John F

I keep wondering if I should buy a new car.....

Much the wisest option if it's your own money.

I keep wondering if I should buy a new car.....

Much the wisest option if it's your own money.

Yes, I am inclined to agree !

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - Avant

The best thing for you to do is to have a long, preferably unaccompanied, test drive of a Focus 1.0 and see how you like it compared to the one you've got.

Some people seem to love this engine, others dislike it, and economy is more than usually dependent on how you drive it. My personal view is that the engine is ideally suited to the Fiesta, but to pull the Focus along at a reasonable pace it brings penalties in economy. The new 1.5T Ecoboost engine is only £500 more than the 1.0 and might be more of a natural successor to yours.

If you can afford a new car and would like one, go for it. I think yours is at the age when you either change it now or run it into the ground. There's merit in both arguments.

The best thing for you to do is to have a long, preferably unaccompanied, test drive of a Focus 1.0 and see how you like it compared to the one you've got.

Some people seem to love this engine, others dislike it, and economy is more than usually dependent on how you drive it. My personal view is that the engine is ideally suited to the Fiesta, but to pull the Focus along at a reasonable pace it brings penalties in economy. The new 1.5T Ecoboost engine is only £500 more than the 1.0 and might be more of a natural successor to yours.

If you can afford a new car and would like one, go for it. I think yours is at the age when you either change it now or run it into the ground. There's merit in both arguments.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I have driven the Fiesta with the 1.0 engine, and it is very good, but as yet have not had the chance of trying a Focus, quite a different car.

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - concrete

My daughter has the Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost and it is a cracking drive. It really sits the car. As Avant rightly states, the Focus is a bigger car to power and the 1.0 eco may struggle.

Buying cash is still the best way in the long run and the cheapest usually. Like Rob my friend used to negotiate a deal based on the dealers lowest price, usually with finance. But before even signing the papers he would write a cheque out for the same amount. Usually the dealer would accept, though not always. If you have the 'brass neck' go for it. He used the same technique for freezers, TV's etc etc. Seemed to work mostly. Interesting about the possible finance loophole. Is anyone on the forum sufficiently informed about finance agreements vis a vis the settlement terms, to offer an opinion? Cheers Concrete

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - Wolfan

I don't understand why anyone would want to waste money on a new car, far better to buy an ex fleet/lease one wth warranted mileage and a verifiable service history let the original purchaser and HMRC suffer the depreciation.

The aforementioned are in a far better position to negotiate a good deal for the initial purchase and as long as there is at least a year of the manufacture's warranty left to remedy any problems that may arise a good two year old car with higher than average mileage can be had for about 35% of it's original cost.

Edited by Wolfan on 22/04/2016 at 19:45

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - gordonbennet

I don't understand why anyone would want to waste money on a new car,

It doesn't always work out cheaper, we've only bought one new vehicle and that was a Hilux in 2007, not possible to find a used as cheap as the new deal we got.

I don't understand why anyone would want to waste money on a new car,

It doesn't always work out cheaper, we've only bought one new vehicle and that was a Hilux in 2007, not possible to find a used as cheap as the new deal we got.

By no stretch of the imagination can a Hilux be classified as a car, few fleet operators would have need of them. The OP is considering a Focus, a cheap and cheerful car allotted to sales reps and other junior employees. I would be surprised if a Hilux would be on his wish list, however I am happy to be proved wrong. I stand by what I posted and would add the more expensive the car, the greater the saving .

Edited by Wolfan on 22/04/2016 at 22:04

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - drd63

Focus is hardly cheap and cheerful, it's a really well engineered thoroughly developed and designed car. Not sure what point wolfan is trying to make with comments about sales reps and junior employees, I'm sure he (she) wasn't deliberately trying to demean the OP's choice of car but that's how it comes across.

Focus is hardly cheap and cheerful, it's a really well engineered thoroughly developed and designed car. Not sure what point wolfan is trying to make with comments about sales reps and junior employees, I'm sure he (she) wasn't deliberately trying to demean the OP's choice of car but that's how it comes across.

There is a plentiful supply of these for the reasons I have given. People's choice of vehicle is a matter for them.

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - Decto

While finance isn't ideal, if you buy through Ford Aquire, the minimum amount is £2500 therefore you can pay most of the car cash and then clear the small balance either by 12 months of payments or by requesting a settlement. You can do this online with your Ford account so it's easy. With such a small amount financed interest will be minimal and as the finance kick back comes from Ford, not the dealer, they can get you a better deal if you play along.

Wife has a 1.0 125 Zetec, performance is fine even with multiple passengers. 0-4mph is a little slow if you're used to the inertia of a bigger engine, but once you hit 1500 rpm in 1st gear, you'd think you were driving a more powerful car. Her friends continue to be amazed it's only a 1 litre. The only slight downside is the car is high geared so 5th and 6th are really only much use on fast A roads or motorway, don't expect any notable acceleration in sixth gear at 30mph however that's not to say you need to use the gears a lot. Take a decent test drive or hire one for a day for around £25 on the roads you routinely drive.

Only downside is the fuel economy, it's a little better than the 1.6 focus NA engine, but nowhere near claimed. On a good, light moderate speed run I can just get around 50mpg. In daily use mixed driving it's around 40mpg which is still fine. You can't break the laws of physics, moving 1.3 tonnes of car around burns an amount of fuel and while start stop may flatter the MPG in the NEDC cycle when the car is stopped for a number of periods, I think most people spend a good deal of time in creeping traffic where it has less impact.

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - brum

The EQUA Air Quality Index, launched by vehicle emissions measurement company Emissions Analytics, has tested some of the latest models from a range of car manufacturers. Cars tested are given a rating from 'A' to 'H' depending on how clean they are, with the findings openly published and freely available.........

....... The lowest-rated petrol-powered car on the list was the Ford Focus (123bhp 1.0-litre), which received an 'E' rating, meaning it only meets Euro 3 standards.

Source: www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-top...s

This strongly suggests that the 1.0 ecoboost is badly mismatched for the Focus segment.

"This strongly suggests that the 1.0 ecoboost is badly mismatched for the Focus segment."

How does it? They didn't test any other vehicle with the 1.0 ecoboost engine therefore all we have is a single data point covering the entire fitment of this engine.

There is no information as to if this is heavy car problem or an engine problem and the results don't actually state any numbers for comparison so it is not clear on exactly which element it doesn't comply with.

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - brum

NOx

Read the daily mail article about this (HJ doesnt allow daily mail links iirc) and you can see the ford focus 1.0 ecoboost is worst petrol offender for NOx emissions by a country mile.

The testing also revealed that manufacturers should have much fewer problems getting their petrol cars to pass the new laws.

Just one of 45 Euro 6 petrol models was ranked outside the A to C grades. The three-cylinder Ford Focus was the standalone offender.

My laymans conclusion is the car is probably too heavy for the engine to run economically and cleanly as it being asked to work too hard.

Ford, unsurprisingly, dismisses the results.

I, on the other hand, do not.

Edited by brum on 22/04/2016 at 22:03

As per my previous point, the focus 3 cylinder was the only 1.0 ecoboost engine tested therefore you cannot make any qualified assessment of the suitability of that engine for a particular vehicle.

In fact only three Fords are tested in the entire 400 cars so Ford are poorly represented. There are a very significant number of VAG cars tested which all seem to do ok... as Ford is the best seller in the UK, testing only three cars is extremely suspicious.

The organisation which makes these claims does not have a specified test method published so there is no clear standard they follow in testing to demonstrate how 'real world' it is.

The Ford engine makes a significiant amount of power per litre therefore is more likely to produce NOx since this is a byproduct of high combustion temperatures.

My point is that while the engine may have be demonstrated to produce high NOx in an undefined test, there isn't a single bit of evidence to suggest this relates to it being installed in the Focus. It may be the ecoboost is simply a high NOx engine whatever it is installed in.

Given there is no data for any other Ford petrol engine in the database, you cannot make any valid assumptions on this data set.

This is simply a 'non' organisation looked of 15 minutes of fame.

Edited by Decto on 23/04/2016 at 00:23

Thank you for those helpful replies to my post. When I can get a decent test drive in a 1.0 Focus I will take it, but until then I will carry on with the NA 1.6, which doesn't have to work so hard. It is still better on fuel than one of my last motorcycles, a BMW 800. I just don't want to spend a lot of money then regret it. I will continue to follow these reports of wonderful fuel consumption, using a lot of pinches of salt, as always.

Ford Focus - Wondering about new car - slkfanboy

Personally I see all these tests a complete nonse, most like paid for by VW. So many of the so called reports conflict each other in there findings.

Until test of cars is properly sorted out it seams a total waste of time buy a car based on these figures.

Driving a car around the streets of england and say one is better than the other is the definition of a uncontrol test which proves nothing.