Audi / BMW - Audi A3 vs BMW 1 Series - sma90

Hi there, I am thinking of upgrading my car to a newer/less milage model and am undecided between the Audi & BMW. I currently have an Audi A3 54 reg, and although I like the A3, part of me would like a change as this is my 2nd A3. I am wondering whether to consider a BMW 1 series. Any thoughts/reviews or feedback would be great!

Many thanks!

Audi / BMW - Audi A3 vs BMW 1 Series - slkfanboy

It depends on your requirements and budget. Do you have a family, dog or caravan. Do you want sporty or Auto etc

Engine wise A3 has more options and BMW has fewer, all are very economical even RS3 and M135i’s.

Styling you can decide, but both look good to me, Audi being more reserved.

Inside again you decide, Both good quality Audi rather spa*** looking to me BMW looking more active.

Driving. The BMW is rear wheel drive and for me that means more fun and handling is BMW game, either can have 4WD if that what you want. For me performance wise the Audi would have to be 4WD, and the BMW either.

If space is your want, then the A3 has more and the 1 series is tight with 4 adults.

So basically it's space verses drivers fun.

Edited by slkfanboy on 18/04/2016 at 17:24

Audi / BMW - Audi A3 vs BMW 1 Series - sma90
Hi there, thanks for your message. I dont have any 'needs must' etc, altho I'd like a 5 door now. I've never had a BMW before, but from what I've read, 1 series are good cars? I want to make sure whatever I get is solid and reliable. Is performance better with the BMW?
Audi / BMW - Audi A3 vs BMW 1 Series - daveyjp

When Audi made the A3 Sportback 5 door they did at least realise that if it had five doors the rear seat passengers would need legroom, so it is longer than the three door.

When BMW made the 1 series I don't think they expected anyone to use the rear seats as despite having five doors rear leg and shoulder room is woeful. Friends have one. We can't go out as a five despite one of the five being a child.

So if you need the back seats buy the Audi. If you don't need them buy a 2 seater BMW - a Z4 is far more fun than a 1 series!