Auto estate - 3 series, C Class or ??? - Zolasdad

I will shortly be in the market for a replacement car. I will want a mid size estate, but it must be an auto. I intend to keep it for a good few years, so am happy to spend time looking for the right one, once I decide which best suits me.

I don't want anything physically bigger than 3 Series/C Class

Must be auto. I'm wary of DSG type transmissions so would want one with a torque converter - a proper auto

I'm naturally inclined to diesel, but I expect to do lower mileage now so a petrol might be a more practical choice.

Budget about £7000

Any thoughts please?

Auto estate - 3 series, C Class or ??? - Happy Blue!

Hmmm..... second hand car, only £7k budget. That means an old German premium brand with consequent possible repair costs. How about newer model cars such as: -

Ford Mondeo

Ford Focus

Mazda6

Honda Accord

Hyundai i30CW or twin Kia Ce'ed

Thanks.

Mondeo and Accord both physically too big.

Had brief experience with an I30 (petrol) auto and found it breathless and having to rev too much to make progress, I was used to diesel though and might have been over sensitive.

Experience of Mazda Premacy diesel was good.

Focus well, don't hear too much against them given numbers produced.

Auto estate - 3 series, C Class or ??? - phil_z70

I wanted something simular last year but not estate,

Opted for an early BMW 320d se E90 auto 163hp m47tu2 engine

The M47tu2 engine doesn't have a DPF, the timing chain is on the front of the engine and this setup was a great success and it's easier to get at unlike the newer engines, the EGR is easy to get at, swirl flaps want removing for piece of mind (has no effect on the car)

Autobox is 6 speed torque converter (ZF) very smooth, even smoother after I has it serviced (expensive) they are not sealed for life according to ZF, with the correct maintainance it should outlast the car

Tax is £225 per year but I pay monthly so I dont get a big bill, Fuel usual approx 42 mpg with a easy 20 mile e/w commute, have had 48 mpg on a longer run

It was hard to find one with a good history (oil changes etc) and mine was expensive for a 10 year old car bought privately,mine had 63k on it

It's great to drive and has plenty of torque, I think it's good on fuel, easy to work on (service myself except gearbox)

It's a thought if you don't mind spending quite a bit on an old car, I love mine

Could be a bit of a mission to find a good one though

And this reinforces my prejudices!!

This would probably be my first choice (at the moment) but trying to broaden my horizons a bit.

Auto estate - 3 series, C Class or ??? - Avant

I can quite understand that if you fancy a BMW, a Focus isn't quite the same thing, good car that it is.

For something a little different and not too expensive or too big, you could look at the Volvo V50 (mechanically similar to the Focus) or the Mazda 6 estate (avoid Mazda diesels, but the petrol ones are by all accounts very reliable).

Auto estate - 3 series, C Class or ??? - gordonbennet

Out of the two for me it would have to be the Merc, too many issues affecting the other as the miles rise (unless you go 3 litre petrol), Merc who had dropped the ball big time cleaned their act up a lot by the time 2007 on C class arrived.

Whichever of those two makes you choose, try to find one of the excellent MB indy workshops to keep it in shape.

Left field choice, Subaru Forester, even Legacy/Outback in budget is smaller than it looks, you may never buy another make.

Thanks and Avant.

I'm not a badge snob, currently running a Skoda and Peugeot. I don't mind getting my hands dirty doing whatever I can myself.

The MB/BMW were just the two that came to mind with torque converters. I've run diesels for years and like the driving characteristics and the economy, but mine were and are old school, pre DPF. With my anticipated reduced mileage It didn't seem sensible to gamble with these technologies and that petrol would be worthy of serious consideration, balancing that against the poorer economy. Just trying to eliminate any weaknesses (potential or real) before I start my search.

V50, I hadn't thought about to be honest.

The Subaru of course, is legendary but full time 4WD is another hit on the economy side.

I have nothing against the Focus either.

This is the sort of thing I was hoping for, opening my mind a bit!

Auto estate - 3 series, C Class or ??? - gordonbennet

Well seeing as you're a chap with an open mind, take the Subaru for example, Outback with 2.5 engine bought for say £6k, spend £1100 on LPG conversion (incl flashlube, most important) and you have an ultra reliable car that will do all you ask of it averaging 25mpg @ 50p per litre, thats Diesel economy with petrol simplicity in anyones book...we have two LPG converted cars, one MB 3.2 litre one Outback H6, its our choice of fuelling for the forseeable, we don't calculate whether to convert on a 'payback basis' only, best avoid direct injection petrols if LPG might be of interest.

German cars without DI take very well to LPG if thats of interest, harder valves and seats in the main, but you could struggle with a BMW for somewhere to put the tank, my MB has run for years on it, possibly smoother than on petrol.

Filllpg is a good site for filling stations of all types incl prices, and lpg forum for a general discussion site frequented by installers too for more reading.

You're in good company here, many of us have come away from Diesel, after roughly 30 years in my case, lost their basic desirabilities of simplicity and durability.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/04/2016 at 11:23