Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Pilquin
I am thinking of buying this car but it has done 85000 miles the high miles is putting me off it has full service history and is £5500 do you think I should stay clear ? It is a 2012 thanks
I only do 5000 a year at the most

Edited by Pilquin on 16/04/2016 at 16:00

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Cyd

What does "full service history" mean, please? Specifics please.

It has receipts for services since new
Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - RobJP

What he means is how often has it been serviced (every 10k, every 20k, every year ?), and has it been properly serviced, or just the minimal possible.

For example, if it's needed a cambelt service, has that been done. (that's just an example, I've no idea if this model is cambelt or chain cam)

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - bazza

I think what Cyd is asking is the mileage intervals between services and/or whether it is on extended intervals or every 12 months or so. The reason for asking is that this particular engine has a turbo fitted and how it has been serviced, particularly oil and filter changes, is likely to influence a buying decision. As for 85K, that is nothing for a modern car, it should do double that looked after properly. But these engines are relatively new and relatively highly tuned, so longevity is a little bit of an unknown at high mileages. I do know it's a great engine to drive in a Fiesta, haven't tried it in a Focus. There are lots of clutch problems listed on this site and generally, so look out for that.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - John F

It should be at least as durable as the 1.6 Zetec in our 2000 Focus; at 5k a year it will take you another 5yrs to do what ours has done with no attention at all apart from oil, occasional belt dressing and a set of plugs. It is just the sort of car which provides the best vfm for the low mileage driver - not old, lots of presumably motorway miles thus negotiable low price.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - scot22

I find it interesting learning about additional elements I would never have thought of, know nothing about.

I could not understand why 'full service history' needed any query. Subsequent posts have enlightened me. No wonder I made so many questionable buys in the past !!

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Bolt

I find it interesting learning about additional elements I would never have thought of, know nothing about.

I could not understand why 'full service history' needed any query. Subsequent posts have enlightened me. No wonder I made so many questionable buys in the past !!

Still is queried by some, because service history can be just a stamp in the book, question is, has it been done, anyone can stamp the service book at the garage.

I used to work at a main dealers and some of the service was not possible to do due to time involved doing it (I left the trade partly over it)if you did a service properly it would take too long and you lost bonus, its well known about it anyway.

Whether it still happens, I dont know, but it questions whether the car you buy was done fully(I suspect not but thats my opinion only) proving it is another.

thats why there is so much controversy over servicing, apart from the point oil changes have become too long apart, years ago a Turbo had 6k for oil/filter change, its now in some cases over 12k

I noticed on one new car its 18k service, far too long imo- my old Civic 2006 diesel I serviced every 6k over 34k/2 years because it was a turbo,still sounded sweet/ run well after 134k so regular oil/filter changes do make a difference

sorry gone on too long....

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Cyd

"Full service history" is an utterly meaningless phrase. Suppose the car has had just one service in 85k, as long as it's documented then it's history is full, isn't it? Yet, anyone who nows even just the basics would walk away from such a car.

Turbochargers on a petrol engine are significantly higher stressed than turbos on diesels, primarily because of the higher exhaust gas temperatures. This leads to a greater tendancy for sludging up and carbon build up generally, especially when drivers turn off when it's hot. Premature failure of the turbo is usually the result.

Good quality, clean oil is the turbos best friend. Similarly for good, clean coolant (petrol turbos are usually water cooled these days).

Personally I'm a fan of turbocharging. I had a Rover 800 Vitesse Sport, the 200PS T series. I bought it at 80k/3yrs and only sold it on to a ROC member at 187k/15yrs old. In all that time I change the oil religously every 5k and the coolant every 3 years. It never missed a beat. My current car is a Saab 9-3 Aero 2.0T with a tune to 270hp/375Nm. I bought it at 42k/3yrs and it is now 104k/9yrs, again never missed a beat, again religiously serviced. Oh, and BTW I'm an ex rally driver - my cars get driven HARD.

There's no reason these engines shouldn't be able to complete sky high mileages, but to do so they will need looking after. regular servicing and a sympathetic driving habit are however prerequisits.

So, I ask again, what servicing has it recieved?

Ok it's had a full service every year including filters oil change that's all I know unfortunately thanks
Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - gordonbennet

So serviced every 20k miles approximately?

I'd be out the garage door like a shot and without the car, most people here who run cars long term well out of warranty would generally like to see annual or every 10k miles servicing, whichever comes first, that car should have had an interim oil change between major services IMHO.

On the subject of clutches, yes modern cars do seem to suffer rapid clutch wear and i suggest much of it is down to engines lacking low engine speed torque, leading to increased revs and regularly slipped clutches in day to day use even if the driver doesn't realise they are doing so...and the fashion for high first and reverse gears even in some heavy 4x4's, which also suffer fast clutch wear, that one litre engine might have brilliant torque once above say 1400rpm, but you still have to get the car moving from rest at what 7/800rpm max, aint going to happen in the real world of fast heavy traffic and junctions.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Avant

Don't be afraid of high mileage on its own: 85,000 in 4 years is likely to have been done mainly on motorways - an easier life than if it had been pootling to the shops and back and done 8,500.

Like others, I'd be more worried about the small petrol turbo. There are lots of Focuses out there to choose from, and if you can find a 1.6 with FSH and moderate mileage you might be happier.

Car buying is a bit like overtaking - if in doubt, don't.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - RobJP

Just to say that I'd agree with GB, now that you know the service history (annual / 20k miles)

Walk away.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - slkfanboy

Some have said about timing belts, but these are not a servicable part in the 1.0t engine, i understand.

As with many ford engine 12,500 service intervals is good new and if have been all done (important with any turbo engine) no reason to worry.

Clutch could be near the end of life depending on the car was driven and like to have some items like brakes pads and so on needing doing.

I don't see 85k has a big milage and would not worry to much, but understand some ware items are going to need doing.

Thanks for your advice I'm going to walk away but with a heavy heart I really want to buy it but common sense has won the day cheers
I'm going to walk away but with a heavy heart I really want to buy it but common sense has won the day

I think you are right to do so, had there been a bunch of receipts stapled to the service book showing fred blogs had slipped an oil change in between the annual services i'd have been quite happy to have considered the car in favourable light, not just for the extra oil changes but proof that the previous owner had mechanical sympathy.

No shortage of used cars, another will be along in a minute.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Wackyracer

Some have said about timing belts, but these are not a servicable part in the 1.0t engine, i understand.

According to Ford, the timing belt 'should' last the life of the engine. I wonder if they might retract that statement at some point?

I'm very suspicious of 3 cylinder engines. Many cars with 3 cylinder engines have shown the engines lives to be quite short.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - scot22

'Car buying is a bit like overtaking - if in doubt, don't.'

Can the techies provide a like button ?

Pilquin good to see someone who has posted and been open minded about responses.

Hope you find a good one.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Falkirk Bairn

>>85000 miles the high miles is putting me off it has full service history and is >>£5500 do you think I should stay clear

Much has said above above service history & longevity of a new engine design.

Nobody has said that it is over priced - you can get a 6 mth old ex rental for well under £10k with only 7 to10K on the clock - a 3.5 yr old with 85K @ £5,500 seems really dear.

I'm very suspicious of 3 cylinder engines. Many cars with 3 cylinder engines have shown the engines lives to be quite short.

Really? Which ones? They've come a long way since the AutoUnion 2 stroke of 50yrs ago. Rational evidence, not suspicion, please.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Trilogy

Some of you will have read elsewhere on this forum that I know of a Focus 1.0 ecoboost owner who had engine failure at 40,000 miles as a result of coolant loss. He had his car serviced annually and was only doing about 10,000 miles a year.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Decto

Known fault due to a brittle plastic hose which fractures and dumps the coolant. Hot turbo, no coolant = fail. Ford have now updated the hose from 2014 and swap the hose FOC on next service for older cars. Engine itself is solid, should have spent a few more pennies on the hose.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Trilogy

Known fault due to a brittle plastic hose which fractures and dumps the coolant. Hot turbo, no coolant = fail. Ford have now updated the hose from 2014 and swap the hose FOC on next service for older cars. Engine itself is solid, should have spent a few more pennies on the hose.

Hose was replaced before failure. Coolant loss location was not found.

Really? Which ones? They've come a long way since the AutoUnion 2 stroke of 50yrs ago. Rational evidence, not suspicion, please.

VW Polo's with 3 cylinder engines - notorious for burning out exhaust valves in cylinder 2.

Vauxhall Corsa 3 cylinder engines - very short engine life.

Rational evidence? JohnF ? you do make me laugh.

Edited by Wackyracer on 17/04/2016 at 22:00

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Avant

What is supposed to be the great advantage of having three cylinders?

It's not economy (unless you drive very sedately), and for the above it doesn't seem to be longevity either.

I can't help feeling that car engines have mostly had an even number of cylinders for a good reason all these years.

Torque size and weight i suspect Avant, 330 cc per cyl has got to be a better bet than 250 and if its 50lbs lighter and shorter to boot, it makes design easier.

Some of them sound superb, indeed one of the NA one goes like hell, that being the 2 stroke fitted to Wartburgs, which would give a Jag of its a day a run for its money.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - Bolt

Torque size and weight i suspect Avant, 330 cc per cyl has got to be a better bet than 250 and if its 50lbs lighter and shorter to boot, it makes design easier.

Some of them sound superb, indeed one of the NA one goes like hell, that being the 2 stroke fitted to Wartburgs, which would give a Jag of its a day a run for its money.

IIRC it was to do with balance problems using just 3 cylinders, but was overcome by using balance shafts rotating in the opposite direction to balance the engine out

Now I think they have improved the machining and materials of the engine to make a smoother more powerfull unit

their are a lot of sceptics regarding how long they last in cars but I reckon that will go away once theyve been proved

Edited by bolt on 18/04/2016 at 01:41

IIRC it was to do with balance problems using just 3 cylinders, but was overcome by using balance shafts rotating in the opposite direction to balance the engine out

The Ford Ecoboost doesn't have a balance shaft, they purposely unbalanced the flywheel and crankshaft pulley to counteract the balance of the engine.

The Ford Ecoboost doesn't have a balance shaft, they purposely unbalanced the flywheel and crankshaft pulley to counteract the balance of the engine.

The combo of odly balanced flywheel and the unbalanced shaft provide the smoothness.

Ford like everyone is try to make an engine that meets the needs and has a low CO2 output.

Simply to meet claimed CO2 the engine uses the least turbo boost posiable. The small engine at idlie produces little CO2 and the modern elec controlled Turbo can be very precisely controlled to give balanced performance/CO2 figures.

So basically on paper and in the labs looks greats, On the road not so cleaver.

Until the lab testing get more like real use conditions engines are going to be produced this way.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - 72 dudes

Well, GB, the Jag would certainly disappear in the Wartburg's rear view mirror, but I feel that would be down to the clouds of filthy blue smoke rather than any real performance advantage! :-)

According to the information I read from one of the manufacturers of the 2 new engines (Ford or PSA I can't remember which) they said the advantage was it is easier to get the turbo working at lower revs due to less pulsing on the exhaust compared to 4 cylinders. Other benefits are less friction (25% less friction from piston rings, piston to cylinder wall, valve train etc.) Small lighter engine size. There was also mention of it's easier to get it to working temperature and keep it at working temperature.

Edited by Wackyracer on 18/04/2016 at 11:01

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - 72 dudes

It's not economy (unless you drive very sedately), and for the above it doesn't seem to be longevity either.

I can't help feeling that car engines have mostly had an even number of cylinders for a good reason all these years.

The cynic in me says it's largely down to claimed emissions and the EU fuel consumption figures that can be achieved, rather than any consumer benefit.

The cynic in me says it's largely down to claimed emissions and the EU fuel consumption figures that can be achieved, rather than any consumer benefit.

I would say your pretty close to the point there. A friend of ours has a Bmax with the ecoboost, it seems ok as a passenger but, I've never driven it to find out how it feels from a drivers impression.

VW Polo's with 3 cylinder engines - notorious for burning out exhaust valves in cylinder 2.

Vauxhall Corsa 3 cylinder engines - very short engine life.

Rational evidence? JohnF ? you do make me laugh.

Glad to know I amuse. But these are just observations - one could also mention some 4, 6 and even 8 cylinder engines which had problems likely to surface before the psychological 100k mark.

Unfortunately there is little comparative data for engine life, especially during the early years of a production run. So brand reputation often relies on the presence or absence of publicity from the unrepresentative few that have problems, e.g. 30yrs ago a few inept drivers of auto Audis in the US who insisted their cars had accelerated when they braked caused a staggering unmerited loss of confidence in the brand which persisted for years. So far it seems there is nothing like the subsequent justification of suspicions there were about the dreadful K series engine which was made in nothing like the vast numbers of 3pots there are now around, most of which seem to be accruing higher and higher troublefree mileages. One day I might buy one.

Ford Focus ecoboost 1.0 99bhp - Ford 1.0 ecoboost high mileage - bazza

A friend of ours has a Bmax with the ecoboost, it seems ok as a passenger but, I've never driven it to find out how it feels from a drivers impression.......

My parents have a 1.0 Fiesta Ecoboost. It is a fine car, although it has taken a bit of getting used to. There is no torque at all below approx 1500 to 2000 rpm, basically until the turbo spools up. It's also rougher, in typical 3 cylinder fashion. Once moving it's pretty quick but not as smooth as a 4, particularly at lower revs. So moving off in it requires a different approach if one is used to bigger, torquey engines, even their previous Fiesta a 1.4 petrol was noticeably easier to launch. It explains why this engine in a heavier car is causing clutch problems, after driving it for myself and therein lies the problem I feel, it's fine in a small light car but struggles to overcome initial inertia in a heavier car. It is a technically interesting engine but doesn't really offer any significant benefits in the real world over a bigger atmo engine. I suspect that they will not stand abuse, missed oil changes and poor servicing very well in the hands of owners with no knowledge or interest in what they're driving.

A friend of ours has a Bmax with the ecoboost, it seems ok as a passenger but, I've never driven it to find out how it feels from a drivers impression.......

My parents have a 1.0 Fiesta Ecoboost. It is a fine car, although it has taken a bit of getting used to. There is no torque at all below approx 1500 to 2000 rpm, basically until the turbo spools up. It's also rougher, in typical 3 cylinder fashion. Once moving it's pretty quick but not as smooth as a 4, particularly at lower revs. So moving off in it requires a different approach if one is used to bigger, torquey engines, even their previous Fiesta a 1.4 petrol was noticeably easier to launch. It explains why this engine in a heavier car is causing clutch problems, after driving it for myself and therein lies the problem I feel, it's fine in a small light car but struggles to overcome initial inertia in a heavier car. It is a technically interesting engine but doesn't really offer any significant benefits in the real world over a bigger atmo engine. I suspect that they will not stand abuse, missed oil changes and poor servicing very well in the hands of owners with no knowledge or interest in what they're driving.

The 1.0 should have good low down torque with most of the torgue in the mid range.

Turbo lag there should be none, small modern direct bolted to the engine turbos have very little lag. Its for sure nothing like my old saab 99 which you wait a couple of seconds before anything at all happen, then launched like appollo 13 into the back of your seat.