Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - Ari

Hi,

I recently found a very good looking and mint Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic for sale with very low mileage and a great price. Since there is only 2.0 badging on the back I'm assuming it's the 131 PS version.

However, I can't seem to find any information on it online. I don't even know what type of an auto box it has. Is it a CVT (Multitronic)? A regular auto? A DSG?

Please let me know what you know and what you think of the car? Fuel consumption is not an issue since I'm planing on converting it to LPG.

Thanks a lot.

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - RobJP

I believe those are all multitronics.

Ask yourself this : would you buy it if it was a Skoda Superb at that age, mileage and (most importantly) price ?

Because underneath, that's what it is. That's not a criticism. But you're probably paying 50% for the car, and 50% for the pretty badge.

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - gordonbennet

Everyone i've known with an Audi auto out of warranty, and that's going right back to the 80's and the 100cc of the time, has usually had auto gearbox problems of one sort or another.

BiL had an A4 like that, but Diesel, same box, that played up as usual and the quotes were around £1000 if some electronic fix, £4500 if it was full rebuild, car sold sharpish.

Whether seeing as its low mileage an oil change might give it a better chance of a long life i don't know, its a whole range of makes i've personally avoided, fresh oil certainly wouldn't do it any harm.

One other thing, was this the engine that had heavy oil use issues?

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/04/2016 at 00:36

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - elekie&a/c doctor
Could be a money pit,unless it can be bought very cheap.Why would anyone want to convert one of these to lpg?Would the cost of install be the value of the car?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 15/04/2016 at 00:42

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - pd

All cars die with something in the end so if it is working and cheap enough why not.

The Multitronic doesn't have a great reputation so check it works OK - no nasty juddering when coming to a stop or accelerating. I have seen them with 200k on so they can last. Fluid should be changed about every 40k miles IIRC.

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - Ari

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your time and advice.

I'm guessing it's a CVT then? Aren't those things even more durable than the torque-converter-hydraulic automatic?

FYI the car has done 40,000 km. I'm not sure how is that possible, I'll have to send it the local Audi service.

The guy is asking 5,000 EUR for it in a market where an automatic TDI A4 with 200,000 km costs upward of 7,000 EUR.

And no I wouldn't get a Skoda, because I wouldn't be able to sell it when I want in this market, hate the looks, and it's way too big for my taste.

Thanks again.

A

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - gordonbennet

Ari, walk away mate.

Just ask youself why anyone would sell a car worth well over the market value of cars with 5 times the mileage, at 70% ish of the price...answer they wouldn't...something is very wrong here.

Skoda bigger than an equivalent A4?

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - Avant

A Superb, as mentioned above, is bigger than an A4, but an Octavia is about the same size, both being built on the Golf platform.

A Skoda won't sell for as much as an Audi (as it didn't cost as much in the first place), but it weill still sell, particularly to those who realise that the oily bits are the same and the build quality just as good.

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - 659FBE

I've just had my Mk1 Superb MOT tested by my local independent, who has given me faultless service over the last 20 or so years.

His comment whilst looking at the car on the ramp: "Looking underneath, it's impossible to tell whether you're testing a Skoda or an Audi".

Obviously build date is important - the newer Superbs are built on transverse VW platforms, not the Audi N-S platform.

No auto transmission will last as long as a good manual, and the torque of a diesel engine will wreck them more quickly. I am highly dissatisfied with the reliability of anyone's CVT transmission. You can't lubricate the working elements and expect the expandable driving element to transmit drive at the same time without compromise.

The comment about resale is perfectly valid. There are a lot of image-conscious people out there who will pay for a badge - not me though.

It passed its test.

Edited by 659FBE on 15/04/2016 at 13:48

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - pd

A Superb, as mentioned above, is bigger than an A4, but an Octavia is about the same size, both being built on the Golf platform.

An A4 B6 isn't based on a Golf platform. It is related to, though not the same as, the 1996-2004 Passat.

The Mk 1 Superb is based on the long wheel base Chinese market version of the 1996-2004 Passat.

Subsequent Passat and Superb models are related to the Golf but subsequent A4 models move further away.

They all use pretty much the same parts bin though.

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - Steveieb
Can someone explain the benefits if any of having the Audi NS configuration over the VW transverse.

I learnt that the Audis design affords equal length drive shafts and being an ideal compromise between front and rear wheel drive

Sorry, my mistake. I think it's the A3 that shares a platform with the Golf and Octavia, and probably also the SEAT Leon.

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - Steveieb
Are you able to answer my question Avant ? About the pros and cons of transverse mounted engines over north south ?
Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - galileo
Are you able to answer my question Avant ? About the pros and cons of transverse mounted engines over north south ?

The answer depends on whether front, rear or all wheel drive.

Transverse engines are not ideal for rear wheel drive, transmission is much simpler if north/south engined (eg BMW, Mercedes, LGVs). A clutch change may be easier with this layout (if sensibly designed).

Front wheel drive and transverse engines permit a shorter bonnet (so more compact car) and no need to turn transmission 90 degrees from flywheel to drive shafts.

Handling is thought to be generally safer for most drivers if front wheels driven, the almost universal adoption of this arrangement suggests it is cheaper/simpler to manufacture.

The first front wheel drive cars (Cord, Citroen) and Indianapolis race cars until 1964 all had north/south engines.

Four wheel drives mostly seem to favour north/south engines, probably as they use transfer boxes and it facilitates using them.

Thanks Galileo - that's a far more comprehensive answer than I would have given! I might be the moderator but unfortunately that doesn't confer engineering expertise on me!

Audi A4 B6 - Is a 2004 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol Automatic any good? - slkfanboy

Audi north/south and front wheel drive combo is not the best of ideas. It forces the engine to be further forward (forward of the front wheel) than other conventions and that I turn results in a bad weight distro. Driving wise that can rock and loose traction. Later car with shorter gearbox or 4WD are much improved.