Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - bradmax
Hi people I did think this was an honest website but things I have read about remapping/ engine tuning are all wrong . If you have used a good Remapper then the file will not brake your car , so do a little digging into the company you would like to use , find out WHO they get their files from (50% buy good quoilty files) if they won't tell you avoid them as it will be a cheap knocked up crap that will damage your car pritty quick . Ok let's say you have your car mapped by a good guy and you have problems it will never be the file its totally down to a problem with your car that the map has highlighted something you need to fix yet people who do have bad experiences always blame the mapper because they chose to have junk they don't look after remapped also a good honest macanic will tell you the same the ones to watch out for are the ones who blame the map as they are just trying to take more money from you because of their lack of knowledge (easy to blame a prob on the map instead of fixing the prob) so never tell them you have mapped your car or before they have seen it their mind is made up ,as an example 2.0 tdi vw engines come from 82hp to 140hp with the ONLY diff is the file everything else is totally the same only detuned so the Best Buy is the 82hp model as you can map it to almost 200hp gaining much better fuel eco too with that much needed extra power . If you car runs perfect get it mapped but by a good mapper with the correct genuine tools . One customer I've had for years always has his cars tuned bought a brand new Merc c class and wanted to wait untill he had 2000 miles on the clock but before that happened his gearbox and engine had to be replaced so who's folt is that Merc putting bad files on cars ,NO it's not he was just unlucky and got a bad egg theses things happen 1000 miles on the clock or 50k if somethings going to brake it will . Also with the VAG range VW/Scoda etc they can now be put back 100% stock only with CMD , with kess it leave a trail the dealer will find and kill your warranty but CMD will not leave anything the dealer can find so even more reason to have a remap so please don't let mr know it all tell you about how bad it is to remap your engine when they pick littler for a living make your own mind up . Ok I've been as honest as I can be hope this helps ,good luck on your remap
Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - oldroverboy.

Advertising.. product cmd?

Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - Bianconeri

Advertising.. product cmd?

Could be, incomprehensible gibberish so hard to tell.
It was 3am , no not advertising cmd , just letting you know incase someone try's to trick you using another tool . Do you want to be told they can stock your car for service only to find out your warranty is void
Please tell me how you added any value with your comment , so why don't you correct all the grammar so other people can understand it instead of trying to put me down for letting people know the truth , yes I am a remapper yes I use CMD but also use all the other tools they all have good and bad points but CMD is the only tool I know of to totally stock a vag protecting your warranty if something should fail so if your told something different watch out you may just get bitten
Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - RT

Given that car makers spend billions on mapping their car engines, you should be offering your services to them - so they can save money.

Do you think car makers care about you , Audi wouldn't spend £2 for extra safety on baby seat fitments plus the gov don't like you saving extra money . Once you have your first remap you will always remap . I've remapped 1000s of cars and only ever had 5 problems but always easy fixes like range rovers egr vales failing , they fail mapped or not so just blank them off problem gone forever or holes in pipes another easy fix . What car do you have and the year I will tell you what your missing out on
Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - Wackyracer

I don't need a re map, last week I bought a bottle of super XL snake oil fuel additive and now I'm on 1000bhp+

Do you think car makers care about you , Audi wouldn't spend £2 for extra safety on baby seat fitments plus the gov don't like you saving extra money . Once you have your first remap you will always remap . I've remapped 1000s of cars and only ever had 5 problems but always easy fixes like range rovers egr vales failing , they fail mapped or not so just blank them off problem gone forever or holes in pipes another easy fix . What car do you have and the year I will tell you what your missing out on

I got two speeding tickets with my last car, which had far less power/performance than my current one so I don't see the point.

Err how about not speeding
Err how about not speeding

Correct - for which I don't need any more power so don't need a re-map!

the power is just a bonus . It's the extra miles people always get on a diesel turbo . Just look at the 1.6 tdi golf it's totally numb and not a nice drive but once mapped it is a pleasure to drive or ALL range rovers having the worse flat spots ever ask any Range Rover owner or even the caravan owners stressing the engine every time they pull off after a tune it's no where near as bad to the point they forget they have the caravan on the back not struggling up hills . I know it's hard for you to understand because of info you have been given about Remaps from road sweepers,painters,office workers,car dealerships as they know best but I would love you to have a tune from someone with high end custom tuned files then tell me what you think of a remap I know your view would change
Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - alan1302

Why do you think no one on here knows anything about engine remaps?

Because it seams everyone on here is negative yet on piston heads it's the other way round
Because it seams everyone on here is negative yet on piston heads it's the other way round

Dones't mean they don't know about them though and not sure making out in your first post that this website is not honest is a great way to extoll their virtues.

Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - galileo

Piston heads is probably more popular with under 25's who wear baseball caps while redlining their Corsa's in every gear.

This forum has a lot of very experienced and mechanically knowledgeable members, some of us have spent over 30 years in car and component design/development and production engineering (as well as many years of car ownership).

Other posters ask for advice based on such experience and knowledge, as they themselves are new drivers/not mechanically minded, so advice is given in cautious terms, which is why re-mapping is not often recommended on here.

Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - Engineer Andy

Piston heads is probably more popular with under 25's who wear baseball caps while redlining their Corsa's in every gear.

This forum has a lot of very experienced and mechanically knowledgeable members, some of us have spent over 30 years in car and component design/development and production engineering (as well as many years of car ownership).

Other posters ask for advice based on such experience and knowledge, as they themselves are new drivers/not mechanically minded, so advice is given in cautious terms, which is why re-mapping is not often recommended on here.

Indeed - I wonder whether the same 'yoofs' realise that remapping their car's ECU (if not carried out by a Main Dealer as part of a general software update) will invalidate their warranty, maybe break the law if the CO2 figure/band goes up as a result, and likely their insurance if they don't tell their insurer - even if they DID tell them, a hefty premium increase (especially as the vast majority of remaps are done to increase power/torque output) would likely result as the car is now classed as 'modified'.

Come insurance renewal time, many insurers will either not be willing to insure such cars, or will deliberately give quotes vastly more than before to ward off people who are much more likely to have speed-rated accidents because they wanted more performance for their car.

My insurance went up by £12.80

...and I bet your car's bhp didn't go up from 80-odd to 200 to account for the '£12.80' increase, unless you seriously loaded up the excess. An average small family diesel car has about 110bhp, so increasing it, say, to 150 would bump the car 6-8 groups up the insurance group table, so a tenner or so increase sounds rather low without adding further excesses.

A personally think the whole issue is rather moot as most turbo-diesel engines (aside the low powered 1.6s) have decent performance compared to normally-asiprated petrol engined cars and in my (and it seems, most people's) view don't need chipping - its petrol-engined cars that, up until the advent of the modern turbo-petrol engines (like VAG's 1.2 and 1.4 TSIs and equivalents at Ford and others), needed a bit more 'oomph' that was constantly being lost due to manufacturers downrating petrol engines to meet more stringent emissions regs and VED CO2 bands.

'Dieselgate' has shown us that you can't have your engine map cake (high performance) and eat it (low CO2/NOx) without some serious (expensive) engine alterations or additives (AdBlue) and accept lower performance. I think the days of diesel being king (except for carrying heavy loads or for vehicles doing big mileages [over 25k miles]) are over - as can be evidenced by the number of munfacturers (especially VW) trying to (relatively) cheaply offload diesels at present.

My hp was 224 mapped 295 so a good jump . Remapped it the day I got it with 23 k miles now it's got
118k full service only thing that I have needed to change engine wise was Glow plug module and 02 Sen and turbo pipe that's it in 5 years so I don't understand what you are talking about with diesel gate also my mpg has gone up and as with everything I tested and still do as when I fill up its to the brim to light on and I have only used vpower never supermarket fuel
My hp was 224 mapped 295 so a good jump . Remapped it the day I got it with 23 k miles now it's got 118k full service only thing that I have needed to change engine wise was Glow plug module and 02 Sen and turbo pipe that's it in 5 years so I don't understand what you are talking about with diesel gate also my mpg has gone up and as with everything I tested and still do as when I fill up its to the brim to light on and I have only used vpower never supermarket fuel

As I posted upthread - no-one has published before-after figures on fuel consumption that stand up to statistical scrutiny

Everyone drives diff some hard some not so it will be diff for everyone
Ok let's say 2 mercs 2 owners same miles per day both standard no remap do you really think they will get the same mpg as one may drive it harder also have you seen how they test mpg maybe you need to have a looks that's why no one gets what it says in the book
My hp was 224 mapped 295 so a good jump . Remapped it the day I got it with 23 k miles now it's got 118k full service only thing that I have needed to change engine wise was Glow plug module and 02 Sen and turbo pipe that's it in 5 years so I don't understand what you are talking about with diesel gate also my mpg has gone up and as with everything I tested and still do as when I fill up its to the brim to light on and I have only used vpower never supermarket fuel

If you mapped it the day you got it how do you know it increased your MPG?

Depends who the car maker is , vag range , bmw know as soon as they plug in . Merc,jag,Range Rover don't check for a map unless you tell them or they don't care but with vag as I said before can be stocked 100% leaving no evidence of a remap . If a brand new car brakes mapped or not the part was faulty as good maps do not go past the tolerances of any part like the vag 2.0 tdi again the 82hp -140hp have the same parts including the turbo they have just been detuned
the power is just a bonus . It's the extra miles people always get on a diesel turbo . Just look at the 1.6 tdi golf it's totally numb and not a nice drive but once mapped it is a pleasure to drive or ALL range rovers having the worse flat spots ever ask any Range Rover owner or even the caravan owners stressing the engine every time they pull off after a tune it's no where near as bad to the point they forget they have the caravan on the back not struggling up hills . I know it's hard for you to understand because of info you have been given about Remaps from road sweepers,painters,office workers,car dealerships as they know best but I would love you to have a tune from someone with high end custom tuned files then tell me what you think of a remap I know your view would change

I tow a caravan with a 2 tonne SUV which has more than enough "bonus" power. I never need to use full throttle so I know I can get more just by pressing harder.

Mathematics and statistics are my background - I've NEVER seen any claims for better economy that stand up to proper statistical scrutiny - mainly because of the difficulty, no impossibility, of getting accurate comparisons before/after without using a laboratory for a long-term test. The power/torque improvements are easy to prove on a dyno but the economy isn't.

When I see such claims for economy that do stand up to scrutiny, then I'll be there waiting to buy one.

Edited by RT on 07/04/2016 at 14:34

Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - scot22

I am by nature a positive person. The majority of posts on the forum are, in my view, positive.

Hopefully, bradmax was intending to share something he felt very strongly about ; rightly or wrongly. Our language is not always as effective as we wish and a poor choice words can get in the way of communication.

I have complete respect, and appreciation for, the knowledgeable posters on here. Bradmax, I know absolutely nothing about you : indeed don't know anything about remapping.

I think this thread is probably going nowhere of any value.

Have a look at my first post about the 2.0 tdi engines vw, everything the same but the map on the ecu
Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - gordonbennet

That first post has to be one of the most persuasive i've ever seen, anyone here considering remap is now firmly convinced not to on the strength of that alone.

It could have been even more persuasive, in the negative, if Top Gear were as enthusiatic as the other forum mentioned.

:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/04/2016 at 17:46

Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - John F

I think that engine longevity is probably inversely proportional to bhp per litre. I wonder how many of these engines 'remapped' at, say, 40,000m, will last another 100,000m without powertrain issues?

As someone who buys cheap old cars and cares for them for at least 10yrs I would not touch a 'remapped' engine with a bargepole although I understand it might appeal to a growing cohort prepared to pay well over £200 a month for a mundane car and change it every 3yrs. £2500pa depreciation is completely unacceptable to me.

Indeed - an engine that is working harder all the time surely won't last as long as another that is loaded less heavily. I presume that's why manufacturers will invalidate the warranties of cars that get chipped.

VW cancelled some poor guys warranty because he had it mapped when it was the clocks that broke costing him 2k to fix when that has nothing at all to do with a remap was faulty wiring another guy bought a jag and wanted to claim on the paint guarntee they Tried to void the clam because the car had been clocked , he won and they fixed the paint but only after jumping up and down . Both story's true the car makers will do anything not to pay out
Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - slkfanboy

I think that engine longevity is probably inversely proportional to bhp per litre. I wonder how many of these engines 'remapped' at, say, 40,000m, will last another 100,000m without powertrain issues?

As someone who buys cheap old cars and cares for them for at least 10yrs I would not touch a 'remapped' engine with a bargepole although I understand it might appeal to a growing cohort prepared to pay well over £200 a month for a mundane car and change it every 3yrs. £2500pa depreciation is completely unacceptable to me.

There are a few myths with these devices.

1) The MPG improves. no true they simply cause the trip computer to miss read as they put more fuel into engine the the ECU thinks it did.

2) The devices increase the fuel presure and some turbo boost so extra fuel gets into the engine which the ECU does not know about. Stress is therefore on the fuel pump and turbo.

3) Any car failure is always caused by the remap.

Ive used one in the past 150k and no issues.

I wont bother trying to understand what it is about. Seems fairly obvious to me after reading posts from people I have grown to respect that it is not something I will even think about.

Clueless
My first car I remapped was an Audi A3 1.9 diesel 2008 I bought it with 90k on was a sales rep car was used everyday for around 10 months then just sat on the drive for over 1 year I sold it to my friend it's got 174k on the clock and has had zero problems but look after your car then your car will look after you
i am glad I don't let people brain wash me . You voting to stay in the eu too
Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - gordonbennet

Oh dear, is it half term.

What's that mean go on say it
I just don't like people getting robbed from the guv so I only offer things I really believe in . I don't know anything about you too but from what you have put I think your a good guy and I don't try to ever trick or harm a person for paper I want them to be happy as odd as it sounds it's worth more to me then the money the world is a horrible place just filled with greed . It's like another product I am starting to sell and finally got some customers I've tested all the top brands for 8 months sometimes working 18 hour days making no money spending almost 10k just so people can buy what it says on the tin and still after I've proved my product is better in every way I even had is tested by sgs and they agree but me as just a man without money to market it with flashy websites or giving false claims it's a losing battle as the guys at the top get a cut to sell crap to people and their profit is massive they sell for about £1700 I can sell mine for £620 making £90 profit a time for a product 10 times better but you try selling to someone who thinks profit before people
Sorry I missed this bit Mathematics and statistics are my background so can you please answer this question sorry if I sound thick . With the VW 2.0 tdi it's a fact that the engine and components are identical just the file is different VW can confirm this so why do the diff models have more mpg then others ranging from 82hp to 140hp as based on what your saying shouldn't thay all have the same mpg

Bradmax - your comment that in this case I am clueless is perfectly accurate - I acknowledge that.

I do know who I would spend any money with : the arrogance and agression which comes through in your posts would certainly not encourage anyone clueless like me to trust you.

Then how am I wrong read your last post .you posted things like you was an expert then on this post say you know nothing about remapping. Ever heard never judge a book by its cover . Another one for you pot kettle . Happy to say I have work when I want but . people who have The cars mapped are nothing like you making things up just for something to do on a forum , why don't you go and have a good read about it from both sides then post
Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - Ethan Edwards

I really miss paragraphs.

Btw I have no issues regarding mapping but not for economic reasons just for more power. But from 82bhp to 240 bhp...nope rubbish. You'd have to be changing injectors etc. Probably not cost effective either.

Diesel - Engine tuning the truth - Avant

This thread got off to a poor start: some people have tried to be helpful and raised the tone of the discussion, only to have it lowered again by Bradmax.

If you want to continue as a member of this forum, Bradmax, please be more polite. I would add that the more clearly you write, the better you will be understood.

Thread closed.