FIAT 500L - Cam Belt - MaryJo

My small independent Garage have just completed my annual Service and MOT all well except the mechanic said even though I only have 41,000 miles on the clock he is advised by Fiat to replace the Cam Belt as I have just gone over six years old. He will cost it up for me and let me have it in due course. I am 76yrs old a widow on a small income so I am dreading a big bill, could you tell me what to expect a fair estimate will be please?

FIAT 500L - Cam Belt - elekie&a/c doctor
I guess you have to ask the question "do you feel lucky"? A cam belt change is probably going to cost in the region of £200. If the belt fails,then the cost of repairing the engine could be a lot more.
FIAT 500L - Cam Belt - RobJP

As elekie says really. I'd get it done. If it fails you'd be looking at a minimum cost of £1000, and probably more like £2000.

EDIT : just had a look on previous threads. Someone asked a similar question on these a 3.5 years ago, the cost for cambelt and waterpump was £385 - though that price was at a FIAT dealer, so hopefully an independent would be a bit cheaper.

It would certainly be advisable to get the waterpump done at the same time as the cambelt.

Edited by RobJP on 05/04/2016 at 22:56

FIAT 500L - Cam Belt - phil_z70

I would expect it to be upwards of £300 for the cambelt, tensioner and waterpump changing

As most modern cars I would expect it to be very cramped under the bonnet so doing the job would probably time consuming

I would have a good phone round for prices, also try a local main dealer, some manufacturers are not to bad on prices for these jobs

FIAT 500L - Cam Belt - John F

I would expect it to be upwards of £300 for the cambelt, tensioner and waterpump changing

Agreed. Pointless just changing the belt as failure of the tension pulley or water pump is what causes belts to break up.

If I was an old widow dreading big bills I would be balancing the cost of doing this against the risk of a broken engine. Of all the thousands of Fiats around probably only a small percentage would fail if you left the belt for longer. How sensitive are you to new strange engine noises? Failing pulleys and pumps usually give warning signs - whining or leaking. I am known on this site for never changing cambelts unless something else has failed, like a water pump - and not even then; I once changed a whining tension pulley at around 140,000m but left the cambelt, still going strong at 10yrs and 240,000m. But that was a German, not Italian, car.