PX'ing car change timing belt prior - chefslot

Hi thinking about part exchanging my car as i need something a little smaller, but the timing belt is due replacement, do you think i should get it done prior to this so i am not knocked down on price?

Regards

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - RobJP

No. They won't specifically ask about the timing belt and if it's been done, and you never volunteer information like that.

Yeah but i always ask when i buy a car about it, might keep quite lol

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - Wackyracer

I agree with Rob, say nothing. If they sell the car and the belt breaks, that is the dealers problem, not yours.

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - tanvir

You wont recoup the cost. You'll probably lose out if you get it changed.

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - Topdude

What about the next owner ?

You keep it quiet, the dealer keeps it quiet, the next owner knows nothing about timing belts !

If the worst happens their new car is scrap !!

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - slkfanboy

For sure you won't get your money back. Most dealers do ask about the next service is due but cambelt suestion unlikely.

Alway be honest, So if asked specifically say it due. There is nothing wrong in say it's got a full service history evan if the service is due.

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - Bolt

Its up to the next owner to check, anytime I buy a car with one I always replace regardless

Some owners do lie about it being changed!

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - FoxyJukebox

Note to any salesman of a formal or independent dealership. Never ever sell a 5 year old car without evidence of whether-or not-it has had a cambelt change.

Note to any buyer --if there is no evidence--then walk WELL away.

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - RobJP

I'll slightly revise my original reply :

If the salesman asks "Is it due a cambelt", or "Has it had a cambelt", then you must answer truthfully. Failure to do so would be fraudulent.

But knowing that most salespeople have all the mechanical knowledge of a duck, that's highly unlikely.

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - Gibbo_Wirral

Note to any salesman of a formal or independent dealership. Never ever sell a 5 year old car without evidence of whether-or not-it has had a cambelt change.

Note to any buyer --if there is no evidence--then walk WELL away.

Or haggle the cost of a cambelt change off the price.

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - catsdad
I've just sold a seventeen year old car, owned by us since it was six months old, for £350 to a dealer. He did check the cambelt replacement due date and receipts for its last change a couple of years ago.

It had a new Mot and I had advertised in Auto trader with all known faults listed as I didn't want any comeback (moral rather than legal) if it went to a private buyer. We also naively perhaps hoped it would go to a good home.

I suspect even a hard-nosed dealer is going to look favourably on a seller who is open but if I hadn't advertised it then, like others here, I'd only have honestly answered any questions he had.

If I'd repaired all the faults prior to sale there is no way we'd have got this back in the sale price.
PX'ing car change timing belt prior - Smileyman

Very interesting - I've a friend who wants to give up driving - they have asked me if I want to buy their car. It's a W reg VW, petrol, very low mileage regularly serviced, but to date no mention of the timing chain - considering the age of the car finding out when the chain was last changed is one of my top questions (she won't know, will need to check the service bills)

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - bathtub tom

If it's been regularly serviced (annually), then I'd suggest there shouldn't be a problem.

I sold an eleven-year-old Almera that I'd serviced annually and that had no problem with the timing chain (which were notoriously made from cheese).

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - Ethan Edwards

Aren't you confusing rubber timing belts (which can break) with timing chains ( which usually do not need changing that much).? My old XT had a chain we did 80k plus on the chain and it was fine.

PX'ing car change timing belt prior - RT

Aren't you confusing rubber timing belts (which can break) with timing chains ( which usually do not need changing that much).? My old XT had a chain we did 80k plus on the chain and it was fine.

A number of modern engines have a recommended change interval for the cam-chain - longer than belts but the same disaster if they break.

Ok cool, yes i was going to tell the truth if asked, and no doubt it would be as i always ask when buying, but was just wondering if i changed it myself the £80 somewhat £ to the cost of them knocking of £200.

Cheers for all your reply's sorry i need to set up email notification.