Ford Focus 1.6 EB Titanium X - Confusing HPI Check results. - Finguz

We have just HPI checked three vehicles we have been looking at. They are all advertised as having one previous owner.

In the HPI results two of the cars are described as having no former keepers and no date entered for the last change of keeper, while one of them states 1 former keeper and a date as expected.

All the other details in the HPI check look fine for all the vehicles.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be?

Ford Focus 1.6 EB Titanium X - Confusing HPI Check results. - RobJP

Because some garages are less honest than others.

I'll put it this way. I buy a car brand new, run it for 2 years, and then part-ex it in. That car, on the forecourt, has had one owner. Clear as day.

If i bought a 6 month old car (a pre-reg, or someone has had it on a short lease, for example), run it for 2 years, and part-ex it in, then TECHNICALLY, on the V5, there is one previous recorded owner, while it is sat on the lot.

Semantics really. What you need to ask : "Including the current person named on the V5, how many keepers has the car had ?"

Of course, if a garage is willing to twist the truth and basically lie about such a small detail, are they really to be trusted with your money ?...

Thanks for the reply!

That makes sense, but the HPI check is showing 0 former keepers, not 1.

I don't understand how a couple of 2-3 year old used vehicles can have 0 former keepers?

The two garages ( main dealers as it happens ) say each has had one former keeper, but the HPI checks say they have had 0 former keepers??

I was assuming there had been an error with the checks?

If I'm being thick, I apologise ;)

Edited by Finguz on 30/03/2016 at 17:49

Ford Focus 1.6 EB Titanium X - Confusing HPI Check results. - Steveieb
I was quite concerned when I received a report from HPI about a vehicle I was about to buy which indicated that the mileage was going in reverse.

Once I had established the correct mile ages which tallied with the MOT s HPI corrected the data. But garages can enter incorrect information when a vehicle goes into a main dealer for any work.

I almost missed out on an excellent vehicle because of incorrect data.
Ford Focus 1.6 EB Titanium X - Confusing HPI Check results. - twitcherman

HPI would list them as having one current keeper (the first) and no former keepers.

So the one listed as 1 former keeper is likely a 2 owner vehicle and the two listed as 0 former keepers are 1 owner vehicles?

The plot thickens.

I will make sure I quiz the dealers when we visit on Saturday.

Ford Focus 1.6 EB Titanium X - Confusing HPI Check results. - twitcherman

I think that's right. I doubt HPI updates fast enough to know that the previous owner has sold to a dealer.

I'm sure there was a thread on here where dealers were advertising two owner cars as "one former keeper" because that was what it said on the V5...