VW golf 2001 - 1.4l petrol - VW golf 2001, noise diagnoses - joeprosho

Hi all,

I just spent a whack of money having my timing belt replaced on a 2001 VW golf because i was hearing a squeaky belt noise. However, this has not fixed the issue, and I don't think the garage have a clue either (they just wanted to make a quick buck with the timing belt job).

so you can find a quick recording of the noise here - drive.google.com/open?id=0B0hV3zoptQ7JMU5KUEdMWjJm...M

The noise only happens intermittently and has been happening for the past three weeks. When in the cab it sounds like the noise is clearly coming from the left hand side of the car, just behind the glove box. But there don't appear to be any belts in any of the pieces of engine equipment behind that location...

i thought i'd throw it out here on the off chance anyone was able to help...

edit: only recorded the noice on my phone so the mic quality is not great, i would say it sounds lower pitch in real life

Edited by joeprosho on 28/03/2016 at 16:56

VW golf 2001 - 1.4l petrol - VW golf 2001, noise diagnoses - Peter D

Turn the air blower off. It may be the motor or debris in the fan. Regards Peter

will give this a go and let you know, thanks for the suggestion

VW golf 2001 - 1.4l petrol - VW golf 2001, noise diagnoses - madf

Sounds liek a failing electric motor.. bearing gone or dry.

As above, electric fan..(Switche may have failed in on position)

cheers the pair of you, i really do think it is the fan now you have suggested it, i've heard comparable nosies from PC fans before so i'll get it looked into

appreciate your input.