Mondeo 2014 2.0 TDCi 140 ZBE - Mondeo TDCi - next 50k miles? - Quoth

Hi all,

I bought a 2014 Mondeo about 18 months ago with 7.5k on the clock - since then I've taken it up to 48k miles and it is coming up to the 50k service. Thus far all servicing has been done at the main dealer and all has been well. All I have done is changed the tyres once and the rear brakes last month.

However, I'm pretty sure that the next 50k miles are when the problems can arise and I'm keen to prevent them as best I can.

I do a Yorkshire - Kent run every few weeks - about 3.5hrs each way with no holdups: A1 - A14, M11, M25, M20 and this accounts for the majority of the miles. Otherwise it has a few trips around a pretty fast dual carriageway and the usual school / supermarket journeys.

What should I look out for in the next year or so? Routine servicing etc. I know about but what about cambelts / DPF failures / DMF issues? The cambelt is rated for 125k miles but I seem to hear of them going much earlier. How about the DPF? I try to keep it clean by my manner of driving and using only Shell Nitro diesel.

Any pointers most welcome.

Mondeo 2014 2.0 TDCi 140 ZBE - Mondeo TDCi - next 50k miles? - RobJP

First off, how often do you have it serviced ? Ideally every 10k miles for your mileage. That, on it's own, hugely reduces the likelyhood of lots of other problems. Make sure the correct (probably a low-ash) oil is used, and the same for the filter.

The DPF : while the big trips are ideal for extending the life of a DPF, it's what the car does the rest of the time that really matters. Lots of short runs from cold will lead to problems sooner rather than later.

The DMF is largely down to mechanical sympathy. Take care of your gear changes, and you're less likely to have problems.

The cambelts, while there have been problems reported, seem pretty rare. Especially given the number of these engines in use. I wouldn't really worry for now. Maybe a 100k service job.

Finally, try (and yes, it's difficult to remember) to idle the engine after a decent run at speed. When you get into motorway services, for example. You've already done half of it while finding a parking space, so 30 seconds once you've come to a stop is fine. That allows the oil to cool the turbo bearings, leading to a longer turbo lifespan.

RobJP

That's really helpful - thanks so much.

I have always done the 12.5k mileage. In the past, when I had a focus and did more city miles, I would change the oil and filter inbetween each scheduled service. Maybe I should do that with the Mondeo as well.

Gear changing - I suppose we all think that we do that correctly. For what it's worth, I try not to change up until about 2200 - 2500RPM; changing down is a different matter but I think I do it as the revs reach the correct PM.

Good about the cambelts - will aim for the 100k service.

The interesting bit that you said was about allowing the oil to cool the turbo bearings. TBH, I rarely use the service stations - generally do one journey door to door. I will have to give it a few minutes idling when I reach home / destination. Worth remembering - thanks.

I hope to keep this car for 150k or more - another 3-4 years at current mileage - or longer if it's not causing any problems.

Thanks again!

Edited by Quoth on 20/03/2016 at 12:29

Quick follow up query:

Is changing the oil and filter half way between the regular services a worthwhile cost? I can get a mate to do it for cost of parts and a pub lunch!

Thanks

Mondeo 2014 2.0 TDCi 140 ZBE - Mondeo TDCi - next 50k miles? - craig-pd130

Quick follow up query:

Is changing the oil and filter half way between the regular services a worthwhile cost? I can get a mate to do it for cost of parts and a pub lunch!

Thanks

Can of worms status: open :)

Some will say yes, others will say no. The truth is, the only way to REALLY tell if it's worth it is to send off samples of your car's engine oil for analysis, to see how much it has degraded in use in terms of dilution / viscosity loss / wear metals etc.

But even if this shows that it IS worth changing the oil more frequently, it's no guarantee that the engine will last longer, as all sorts of things can fail which aren't dependent on oil.

Also, each test will cost you more than 5 litres of oil and a lunch for your mate ... so it's up to you.

My 10p worth is this: get your mate to change the oil every 6 months, but not the filter - change the filter at the annual service. Oil filters become more efficient at filtering after a period of use (within reason, obviously) because the material trapped inside reduces the pore size in the filter material.

In the motorcycling world, it's common practice across the major manufacturers to change the oil every 4,000 miles, and the filter every second or third oil change. Of course, the more frequent oil changes are needed because a) bike engines tend to rev higher and work harder than car engines, so the oil is subject to more punishment and b) bikes share the oil between engine and gearbox, and the long-chain hydrocarbons that maintain the oil's viscosity get literally chopped up when lubricating the gear teeth.

But it underlines the point that in the manufacturers' view, the filter's capability usually outlasts that of the oil.

Certainly didn't mean to disturb the worms ;)

Given that my service schedule comes up at about every six months and most of my driving is fast motoroway / dual carriage way, I think I'll leave it as it is for now. The 50k service will be booked in soon and that seems to have a lot that needs doing.

In the summer months there are many fewer short trips as the bicycyle gets used much more.

I'll take a look at Ford Etis and have a chat with the workshop manager when I take the car in.

Mondeo 2014 2.0 TDCi 140 ZBE - Mondeo TDCi - next 50k miles? - piggy

Thank you Craig. The advice about the filter change was really helpful. I always change the oil in our cars every 6k but wondered if I should change the filter at the same time. Your point has clarified this dilemma for me. In my opinion any engine with a chain driven cam will benifit from this regime.

Mondeo 2014 2.0 TDCi 140 ZBE - Mondeo TDCi - next 50k miles? - Cyd

Yes, I would advocate extra oil changes. I would change the filter too for what they cost. Well worth a pub lunch I'd say.

Also don't forget the gearbox oil. I'd advocate a change every 50k. I've found Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle to be excellent. Improved change when cold, generally quieter and I can't prove it but I'd swear it seems to let a few more horsepower through to the wheels.

www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/products/cars...l

Also get one of these drive in car wash places to clean the underside of the car down around this time each year too. I get them to spray the underside with their wheel cleaner first, it seems to do the trick.

I'm now close to 68k miles and have booked in for an early third birthday present: Its first MOT :) [Due on 1st March but as other work needs doing, I decided to get it all together.

My tyres are near to needing changing - is 28k miles good for a set of Michelin Primacy 3? - so I decided to get an interm oil and filter change and the MOT at the same time. May well need some new brakes too I suspect - front at least.

My local Shell garage closed down so I tend to use BP Ultimate most of the time now.

OVerall, I'm very happy with this mile muncher - it never misses a beat and seems very happy sitting at 70MPH on the A1 most week.