Which? article - hillman

The Which? On-Line today ran an article comparing the use of handbrake and gearbox when parking. I'm sure the BRs have views on this. Do you use the gears plus the handbrake when parking or the handbrake or gears alone ? There were some very sensible comments following the Which? article.

My neighbour and I live on a hill with our driveways sloping down to the avenue. My neighbour still insists that someone was trying to steal his car when one morning it was found across the avenue with its front wheels against the opposite neighbours garden wall. I question whether he had parked up using the handbrake alone and the shoes had cooled off and relaxed.

Which? article - RT

With all previous automatics, I always used the handbrake (foot-operated on the last one) as well as engaging "Park" on the transmission - even earlier, just the handbrake on manuals - but the electric parking brake is automatic on my present car.

To answer the question, I always have the handbrake set - and wouldn't use the gears as well on a manual unless parked on a hill - but then I'd also turn steering towards the kerb as even more protection.

Which? article - Bromptonaut

It's partly an age/when you learned to drive thing.

About he only thing about driving I'm conscious of learning from my Father was to always park in gear. He'd learned the lesson at a practical level having seen his Father's car start to run away shortly after being restored from being laid up for the duration of WW2. The reflex to put lever into first when securing the vehicle after parking is one I'd find very difficult to break. Having owned a Xantia at the time they acquired a slight reputation for running away. The handbrake working on the front discs was probably more susceptible to thermal effects than a rear drum set up.

My kids, learning 2010 onwards, were encouraged to leave in neutral. Modern teaching apparently emphasises risk of trying to start in gear and damaging car or causing injury to pedestrians.

Which? article - scot22

It seems sensible to me to park the car in gear, which I do. Surely it is simply an additional safeguard. Whether or not gear is engaged is part of my normal drill.

Which? article - Theophilus

I seem to recall that my 1980s-1990s Saabs didn't allow the key to be removed from the ignition (on the transmission tunnel, rather than steering column) unless the gear level was put into reverse.

Which? article - Galaxy

I always park my car (manual) with the handbrake on and the car in gear. Although, in general, car handbrakes are much better than they used to be, I still feel I'd never trust one completely. Perhaps with some of the recent concerns about electronic handbrakes, that advice is as true today as it was 30 years ago!

If parking on a hill I would also, of course, park with my front wheels turned into the kerb.

Edited by Galaxy on 19/03/2016 at 18:50

Which? article - RobJP

As (it seems) most on here, I always park in gear (first, all our cars are manual). If on a hill I also point the front wheels accordingly.

Which? article - madf

I never park in gear. The auto Jazz is always in Park and the Yaris - driven by SWMBO and myself - we agreed to never leave in gear due to possible rrors when starting up..

Never had any car roll down any hill.. ever. when parked.

Which? article - Big John

Not an easy one to answer

I used to always leave in gear (an point wheels to steer into kerb) especially with disc handbrake mechanisms as when the disc cools it shrinks and if handbrake not applied firmly may loose enough friction to cause the car to run away (drum brakes are the opposite and actually increase the handbrake forse as they cool)

However it's not as simple now:-

1)You shouldn't leave a DMF permanantely in tension - after applying hand brake in gear as you release the footbrake the car will roll slightly potentially putting DMF springs/cogs into tension (The DMF usually has a number of different strength springs to ensure smooth takeup)

2) If you have an oil pressurised cam chain tensioner you should always leave in the gear on a hill that would turn the engine in the normal direction of opertaion - if you force backwards especially where cam shafts drive other gubbins (high pressure fuel pumps etc) the tensioner side of the chain carries the force required to turn the camshafts which can push the tensioner (especially if worn) back leaving the chain slack ready for the next engine start-up. Some manufacturers eg Chrysler - stipulate not to turn engines backwards in their service manuals

I myself do leave in gear but in 1st for pointing down a hill or reverse for pointing up a hill. However once I've stopped I now don't release my clucth until I've turned the engine off, put in gear , applied the handbrake firmly and released the footbrake

Edited by Big John on 19/03/2016 at 19:53

Which? article - groaver

In gear with handbrake on.

For those who don't due to fear of mishap when starting; don't you dip the clutch automatically before turning over the engine?

Which? article - Big John

For those who don't due to fear of mishap when starting; don't you dip the clutch automatically before turning over the engine?

Indeed, many recent cars won't start without the clutch pedal being fully to the floor

Edited by Big John on 19/03/2016 at 19:57

Which? article - Falkirk Bairn

Own Driveway Perfectly Flat - in gear / Park, no handbrake

Anywhere else - in gear/Park + Handbrake

Next door neighbour, who has a slope in driveway, parked and walked towards the house only for the car to overtake him - smash the front of the car on brick wall (bumper, grill, bonnet & 1 wing + lights etc) and take out the garage door for good measure.

Which? article - drd63

If you're lucky enough to own a car with EPB you don't have to worry, just press that button and let technology do the rest.

Which? article - madf

No.

Cars should be simple.. The possible gains from doing so are only noticeable to those with OCD..:-)

Which? article - ExA35Owner

Handbrake off in wet, freezing conditions - otherwise the brake can freeze on. Got it wrong once! But in thise conditions it's also important to park on nearly level ground to make the re-start on ice possible.

Which? article - slkfanboy

It depends on the car a bit. Some cars have seperate pads for the hand break. This is to avoid issues when parking the car with hot disc/drums and as cooling releasing the hand presure. Ive seen this happen with my mum car! So I would say in gear and wheels towards curb on a hill

Which? article - dimdip

Found my Golf with its nose in a hedge at the bottom of a slope one morning. Also once had an unoccupied Passat estate glide out of a side road into my path – had I been a second or two later, might not have avoided it.

So I leave in gear as well as use the handbrake. It has become an ingrained routine to waggle the gearstick and depress the clutch before starting the engine. Interesting to read above about the potential mechanical problems with leaving in gear though.

Which? article - Brit_in_Germany

Section 107 of the Construction and Use regs requires the parking brake to be set. It is a good idea to leave in gear in case the brake releases.

Which? article - Avant

"....once I've stopped I now don't release my clutch until I've turned the engine off, put in gear , applied the handbrake firmly and released the footbrake." (Big John, above)

I agree - it's worth getting into that habit if you don't already. It should avoid undue strain on the DMF and other moving parts.