Jaguar X-Type 2.0d 2004 157k - Sod's Law Strikes Again - joegrundy

Having recently posted a 'positive' story about my car passing the MOT, reasonable cost for brakes, etc., and how I was looking forward to a trip to France, it had to happen, didn't it?

Trip to France went well, 1100+ miles of mixed motoring @50mpg (some loaded down with Chateau Plonk) until ... Monday night, 50 miles from home, at western end of M4, had to stop because of serious overheating (red warning lights and gauge at max). No loss of coolant, oil ok, electric fan working. Cooled down quickly (outside temp 5 deg). Belts in place and working.

Called my breakdown and very impressed by them (contractor was Civic Motor Services Swansea). Turned up within 30 minutes (this was 11pm) and guy was personable and knowledgeable. Diagnosed b*****ed thermostat (seemed reasonable to me, but I knew much more about cars when I was poor and ran a M1000) and car quickly recovered to my home.

Tuesday morning, took car round to my local indy -very busy - and collected it Wednesday morning. Themostat changed, bill £90 inc VAT and anti-freeze etc. Wednesday afternoon took car to town, got it washed (as you do) and all was rosy - until I negotiated our steep High St. in a queue - and the temperature shot up again. So back to Indy, and I await his call.

Looking on the positive side, I was looking forward to see what happened. I've had the car for three years and the temp gauge has only once ever gone beyond a quarter. That was climbing hairpins in the Pyrenees with outside temp 36 deg.

I'm hoping that Wednesday's aberration is caused by an airlock or something simple - but if so, I'll be disappointed that my Indy didn't check for this before giving the car back.

Still, c'est la vie!

Update - for my own benefit as much as anyone else's.

Collected the car Saturday morning, situation unchanged. The expansion tank cap was hard to remove (a well-known problem, I later found out).

Going back in this morning for new cap and - I think from looking at various forums etc. - best to get the water pump changed. I was a bit tempted to do it myself (pump's about £60) but TBH I've lost enthusiasm over the years from doing my own cars.

I wonder if I'm being unreasonable in losing a bit of confidence in my Indy. He's got a lot busier now, does MoTs, tyres, etc., and has taken on extra staff. When he does the work himself, it's fine, but it's increasingly difficult to deal with him rather than one of his team, and I'm not convinced that they listen when I describe symptoms. I wonder if they're doing the quicker simpler turn-round jobs with a higher profit margin. Makes business sense, of course, but may lose some customers. (I've never baulked at paying any bills, confident that they would be justified and reasonable).

Car first went in a week ago. Overheating, no coolant loss, no heat output from heater, rad staying cold. Bit disappointed that the diagnosis has taken so long, and also car handed back twice unfixed, especially as my standing instruction is to spend what it takes but give me a call if it's going to get stupid.

It's increasingly difficult to find a good Indy, and those that are good may have a tendency to take on so much that they lose the points that make them attractive in the first place.

(I've just found out that my milkman's son is a Ford mechanic who does hobbles - may have a chat with him depending on what happens today).

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d 2004 157k - Sod's Law Strikes Again - gordonbennet

I'm not familiar with the model, but even if the thermostat had jammed shut, and especially because of that, the heater should have been pumping out masses of hot air.

Dodgy water pump should become apparent as soon as you try to bleed the system, and where possible i still do it the old way by removing a heater pipe from as near the bulkhead as possible, inlet followed by outlet if poss, water should be flowing well, and yes your indy should have spotted this, if indeed it is the water pump thats at fault.

Finding anyone who gives a fig any more in any walk of life is getting difficult, monkey see monkey do, our leaders and supposed betters are with few exceptions not worth a light, though usually good at trousering money, so hardly surprising that mere mortals follow their example.

Milko's (now that's a rare job too) lad sounds worth investigating but keep an open mind, he might like the easy stuff like servicing and brakes, but how would he feel about a clutch on one?

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d 2004 157k - Sod's Law Strikes Again - slkfanboy

Jag's are easy to blead as there is a bleed point right next to the bulkhead. The temp not reach the central point could be a faulty sender or that the thermo stat had been sticking for a while.

I guess the pump with plastic fins may well be the cause and it's sad the Indy didn't pick this up.

Thanks for the comments.

An update - collected the car at lunchtime today, new waterpump fitted (total bill £140 incl. pump, anti-freeze, labour, and the Very Awful Tax).

Have given the car a substantial test and all seems to be fine (heater working well). Still only goes to about 1/4 or 1/3 on temp gauge but I can live with that. Was shown the old pump (probably the original, had plastic vanes) - the splines on the drive shaft were almost completely worn away.

So, a reprieve for the old girl.

I know that cars are inanimate objects but somewhere deep inside of me I believe that they respond to some TLC. To this end can I ask a question?

I have a home steam cleaner thing which has a good jet attachment (works well on my oven ). I am tempted to give the engine bay a blast with it. Any problems in doing this?

Thanks.

(I have another question about alloy wheels, but I'll post that separately on the tech threads).

Edited by joegrundy on 22/03/2016 at 18:18

I've pressure washed my engine bays before but am selective where the water goes, try and avoid drive belts, avoid anything with bearings like alternator and water/power steering pumps and obviously avoid anything delicate and electrical, might be worth wrapping the obvious things in plastic bags before doing the deed.

Even lorries subject to massive miles in all weathers have embossed labels under the bonnet (lift up grill) warning you to avoid ECU's and other such things with washers, recently my own vehicle went in for allegedly normal service item of fully cleaning radiators...the vehicles are well known for cooling issues...they are supposed to remove the radiators for weighing before and after cleaning out to ensure the job is done right (yes i think its cobblers too, money spinner) however they obviously steam cleaned through the things in situ because later in the week a loud rattling started up, limped it in and lo and behold the auxilliary drive belts tensioners and idlers had run dry bearings due no doubt to hot pressure washing them out...aha caught you out..:)

PS, yes cars have souls that is without a doubt, treat them well and they repay you in spades.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/03/2016 at 20:25

PPS, new water pump too so they must have really blasted through the rads, surprised they didn't blow the cores out.

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d 2004 157k - Sod's Law Strikes Again - bathtub tom

I've only ever used a pressure washer on my old trials car when it's come home plastered in mud. I'll never use one under the bonnet under any circumstances - I've heard too many stories of water getting where it shouldn't. Wheel bearings seem particularly vulnerable.

A friend's water leak problem turned out to be him using a pressure washer. When doing the sills, water was getting past the door seal at the bottom of the door.

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d 2004 157k - Sod's Law Strikes Again - slkfanboy

> have a home steam cleaner thing which has a good jet attachment (works well on my >oven ). I am tempted to give the engine bay a blast with it. Any problems in doing this?

Not a good idea. It can dry belts and bearing causing them to fail and can get water into the electrics too. So unless really bad leave well alone.

Thanks for the advice.

I have put the steam cleaner away for another year. 2017 may be the year of the clean oven and shower (possibly).

Cheers.