Toyota Avensis - advice for buying a good estate car for £2000! - adam_h_86

hello, can anyone help me out? im trying to find a relaible estate car to replace our golf that was recently deemed unecomnomical to repair! i dont have a huge budget - around £2000 , i like the sound of the toyota avensis estate but i think that from 2003 on they have dual mass flywheels as do most estate cars i look at. this worries me as the car will be mostlyused by someone who isnt the most mechanically sypathetic driver! (not me) are duel mass flywheels a weak spot of a car ?! im past confussed at the monment. are there any other cars to recommend for the money?! must be relaible and economical. thank you!

Toyota Avensis - advice for buying a good estate car for £2000! - RobJP

DMFs are largely (though not always) used on diesel engined cars to prevent 'torque shock'. Torque shock is the huge levels of low-down 'grunt' that a diesel has, which would otherwise tear apart the lowest gears of a gearbox.

So a DMF, if fitted, is there to prevent the gearbox from being destroyed.

Toyota Avensis - advice for buying a good estate car for £2000! - Oli rag

A petrol engined Avensis is both reliable and economical.

Toyota Avensis - advice for buying a good estate car for £2000! - chriswales

A Nissan Primera, they were never very popular and the last model had questionable styling. Which means the few that are on sale are very cheap.

Any car around that budget could give a few years of cheap reliable service or have repair bills costing more than its purchase in the first six months.

It can be difficult deciding when to cut your losses with an old car, but you’re saying your current car is uneconomical to repair. You haven’t given details of the age and what’s wrong with your Golf but you have said that you’re mechanically sympathetic to it. So it may be a better option to spend the money keeping your current car on road since you know that it has been treated well.

maybe i'll look at a petrol version for less long term agro with things going wrong, im not too keen on the looks of the nissan to be honest. our golf needed a new ecu, it was made in 2000, and it was quoted at around 4-500 to repair and we need to get an estate anyway so the time seems right for a change!

thanks for the info! i don't know what was wrong with a tradional clutch! maybe they would have to be too heavy?

Toyota Avensis - advice for buying a good estate car for £2000! - steelghost

It's about dampening the very sudden "pushes" that each cylinder gives to the crank, and hence to the rest of the drive chain, in a diesel engine (which is typically running slower than a petrol would be).

Toyota Avensis - advice for buying a good estate car for £2000! - pd

Most petrol engines also have dual mass flywheels. If you ask people these days thay will tell you that modern cars are often "easier" and "smoother" to drive than old ones - one reason is the DMF.

I'm pretty sure a petrol Avensis from that era has a DMF but don't let that put you off - there are many, many cars petrol & diesel with 200k out there still happily motoring around on the original flywheel - it is only the ones which fail which we hear about.

Toyota Avensis - advice for buying a good estate car for £2000! - steelghost

Quite right - DMFs not exclusive to diesel engines, but due to greater torque and lower engine speeds, diesel DMFs can have a harder time of it and are potentially more vulnerable to failure than those in petrol engined cars as a result (especially since the greater torque of a diesel makes the car more likely to experience unsympathetic practices such as repeatedly moving off without any throttle eg in a queue of traffic).