Ford Transit - clutch/gear shift problems - rhysmac

Hi, Yesterday I was driving on the motorway and I pulled into a service area. I could not shift down in gears. When I stopped and started again, from neutral, I could not put it into gear. It was blocked. I was only able to get into gear when ignition was off, turn ignition on and start to move from 1st to 5th. That way, I made it home. Now the problem is: It starts in neutral but will not go into gear. If I turn off ignition and, as before, put into 1st, then turn the ignition on, the vehicle will NOT START. Now it seems that the battery is not kicking in when I start the vehicle “in gear”, but the Vehicle starts when in neutral. also the clutch is is not in its place. it is now lower to the ground.

2006 (new model) ford transit swb panel van
114,000 miles

The steering rack was recently changed

Ford Transit - clutch/gear shift problems - Oli rag

It sounds like you have clutch drag, this places an extra load on the starter motor and in some cases could stop the engine from turning over when in gear.

Is the clutch cable operated or hydraulic? If it's a cable clutch it could be that it just needs adjusting.

Ford Transit - clutch/gear shift problems - rhysmac
Thanks for the reply! not sure about cable or hydraulic, how do I find that out and how hard is it to fix?
Ford Transit - clutch/gear shift problems - elekie&a/c doctor

The clutch release system is hydraulic on these.Check under gearbox area for any fluid leaking or loss from master cylinder reservoir.