On the hunt... - SalimShady

Hi Guys,

I'm on the hunt for a new car and i've been trawling the internet and i've short listed below 4 cars that I like and just wanted other peoples opinions and knowledge:

Toyota Avensis 1.8 V-Matic TR M-Drive S 4dr
NEW SHAPE ++ FACELIFT MODEL
Saloon
94,000 miles
Automatic
1.8L
Petrol

Mercedes-Benz C Class 1.6 C180 BlueEFFICIENCY Kompressor Sport 4dr
£5,990
2009 (09 reg) |
Saloon |
109,000 miles |
Automatic |
1.6L |
Petrol

Audi A4 1.8 TFSI S Line Multitronic 4dr
£6,250
1 OWNER + FSH + 2 KEYS + MINT
2009 (09 reg) |
Saloon |
154,100 miles (Motorway miles-Ex Company car)
Automatic |
1.8L |
Petrol

BMW 3 SERIES 320i ES 2.0 Petrol 4dr
£6,495
2009 (58 reg) |
Saloon |
88,636 miles |
Automatic |
2.0L |

Which one would you go for and why? and why not the others

Thanks

On the hunt... - pollarj

I would go with the Toyota. I also have the 1.8 but in manual. It's a lovely smooth engine and economical

On the hunt... - Alan

The mechanic who services my car said toyotas are the most reliable.

On the hunt... - slkfanboy

I'm sure the Toyota is CVT and thats not going to excite me. Audi is a bit too high milage evan if looks mint.

It's then down to the BMW & Merc. I have to say i am not too keen on BMW 4 pots petrols, diesels are better.

Kit wise and gloss wise the Merc is equal to the BMW and Audi and their petrol engines and auto's seam good to me.

I have a merc auto and driven Audi's and BMW with autos and they drive pritty much the same, which is basically very well behaved.

All 3 will have sealed for life gear boxes, but I get the gearbox oil changed if you intend doing milage

Then again i do have and SLK but did love my 320D BMW.

On the hunt... - NARU

Hi Guys,

I'm on the hunt for a new car and i've been trawling the internet ..

You don't say what's important to you, what type of journeys you'll be doing, whether it's just you in the car, or family, etc, etc.

So what's good for me may not suit you.

Toyota for reliability

Merc if you want to look like a junior exec

Audi if you want that image

BMW if you like centre vents which you can select between cold air on your face or hot air. I really liked that feature. THough I wouldn't buy a 4 cylinder BMW.

On the hunt... - dimdip

You don't state the price for the Toyota

You don't state the price for the Toyota

The price is 4675

On the hunt... - steelghost

I have a slightly newer version of the Toyota you mention, also with the CVT 'box. I generally rate it, and went into considerable detail on the pros and cons in my review on this site.

I'll grant you, it's no fireball, but that's because it's a naturally aspirated 1.8 (albeit a very good one) rowing along a 1.5 tonne estate car. The manual (which we also tested before deciding on the auto) is also, you've guessed it, not going to be amazing in the performance stakes.

However if you want an auto because you want smooth driving, it's a very amiable thing to drive. If you want to press on (a bit!), there are plenty of ways to do that without getting CVT "droning".

For us the number one thing a car needs to do is not go wrong, and we're not fussed about the badge, so the Toyota was a clear choice for us.

If you want performance the Audi is probably going to be the quickest, at least in terms of in gear performance which is what really matters in day to day driving. But you're paying for the badge - as you also are with the BMW and Merc.

Do you want reliability? "image"? Driving pleasure, such of it is available these days? Toys? Comfortable suspension?

On the hunt... - coopshere

I ran a 2010 Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8 petrol CVT for almost 5 years. Serviced by Toyota throughout. Only complaint is the awkward to use electronic parking brake which doesnt auto release on that CVT model, it was replaced under warranty at 2 years old, other than that totally reliable. Power is more than adequate with 38-40mpg (42mpg on long French motorway journey fully laden cruising at 75-80). You need to adapt to the slightly different driving characteristica of the CVT over other types of auto which doesnt take long. Would still have it but wanted something a little higher and newer.

On the hunt... - Avant

The lower price makes the argument even stronger in favour of the Toyota: to some extent, with the other three you're paying for the brand.

If you feel that the others would be more fun to drive, widen the search to include a petrol Mazda 6 (avoid the diesel), which should be just as reliable and a bit better to drive. Not so many of them around though.

HI

Thanks for everyones input....

I guess it does come down style over substance....As much as I love the Audi, The Toyota is the sensible option and besides I have heard very mixed reviews about the multitronic gearbox and the fact that BMW's dont come with folding rear seats as standard is a little rubbish - well thats what i've found