Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - FoxyJukebox

At 05.35 this morning when dropping off passengers for their 07.35 flight-I was delayed yet again ( this isn't new!)by the seriously stupid roundabout just before the final access road to the aiport( nr Ibis hotel). It added 20 minutes to our overall journey time. There was thus plenty of time to observe the continuing permanent earthworks and roadworks on around the final car park access areas. Signage is poor, no advance warning of charges, no emergency stopping. Struggling to find change in total darkness for the £2.80 drop off fee for less than 2 minutes ( naturally no change given)caused friction and delay to other drivers behind me.

On exit from this drop off-drivers are then taken on a wide scenic route around the old long stay car park alongside the run way, the fastest only exit being back up the road towards the main M1 roundabout or to the city centre if by remote chance you might wish to go there( nobody did).

WHEN IS THIS RUBBISH BUILDING WORK/ROAD WORK GOING TO STOP?...it's been going on for years and years --and -by the way, passengers arriving by car and bus seem to be being dropped off further and further away from the main terminal entrances, no attempt is being made to make the footpaths walkable.They are riddled with pot holes( footpaths!) and of course there is no footpath coverage, so when it rains--you get drenched at once, before your journey even begins. The taxi rank by the way-seems to have disapeared completely(?).

If anyone is driving to the airport this easter or summer I would recomend they allow at least a further 40 minutes to navigate the final 1km route and drop off if they want to be certain to catch their flight. For those arriving by train and relying on the bus from the station--i would allow an extra hour.

Sensible passengers might be advised to avoid the airport altogether. Better still-why doesn't the whole wretched place just close down until a proper underground rail station(however deep) is built. it must be cheaper to do that than muddle away with thse hopeless roadworks which have been giving delux employment to hundreds if not thousands of people for over ten years.

Obviously I have complained to the airport and the car park owners -but I suspect my e-mails will be deleted. I can just imagine my e-mail being read by some lounge lizard thinking "How else can we keep our little cottage industry going for as long as possible. To hell with what passengers want" ...

Luton airport is a disgrace to the UK.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - brum

Luton airport is a disgrace to the UK.

Agreed.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - movilogo

I never understood why someone needs to pay a fee to drop off passengers!!

If anyone drops passengers on road he'd get £80 fine on post!

The only way to drop passengers off legally (i.e. not risking a fine and avoiding drop off fee) is to drop them outside of Holiday Inn. However, from there it is quite a walk (especially with luggage) and there is no pedestrian footpath either!!

Luton Airport is run by Luton Council so ultimately the council jobworths to blame.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - Ian_SW

Ultimately, the only way to make them do something about it is for people to stop using the airport.

Easyjet who account for most of Luton's air traffic seem to have moved some European flights to Southend, which is probably them starting to recognise that nobody likes using Luton.

Oddly, despite being much criticized for many other things, Heathrow, particularly T5 is actually very good for drop off, with a road with pull in bays on both sides. As long as you are actually dropping off, the staff don't move you on too quickly, though possibly this is because they are busy preventing all the minicab drivers hanging around there for pickup.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - Bromptonaut

Luton Airport is run by Luton Council so ultimately the council jobworths to blame.

Like all our former Municipal Airports national government policy means Luton is leased out. It's actually run by a company called TBI - mostly owned by AENA - the Spanish Airport company.

Not much the 'jobsworth's' can do now.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - Brit_in_Germany

They advertise free drop off parking at both the mid and long term carparks with a free shuttle. Does this not work?

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - bathtub tom

They advertise free drop off parking at both the mid and long term carparks with a free shuttle. Does this not work?

Does the shuttle then have to join the traffic queue?

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - focussed

My wife used to use Luton to vist her sister near Bedford from us here in France, she got so p***ed off with the scruffy sleazy dirty expensive facilities in the airport, she now flys to and from Stanstead.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - elekie&a/c doctor

I would pay extra to not use Luton ,it is a complete shambles.It is at the bottom of any satisfaction survey and should stay there.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - Ethan Edwards

Southend is a superb airport. I hope that it gets far more flight destinations and soon. I live only a couple of miles down the road so no nimbyism from me.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - Bilboman

"Were you truly wafted here from paradise?" "Naaah, Luton Airport!"

yes!

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - slowdown avenue

tend to agree with op. but use the free parking drop off 200 yards before terminal and let passengers use free bus

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - veryoldbear

I had to sue the dump twice

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - bathtub tom

I had to sue the dump twice

Please tell us.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - veryoldbear

I had to use the dump twice over the last few months and each time used the short-term car park which now seems to get further and further away. Each time I got back in the dark it was urinating with rain, was diverted round endless barriers by some jobsworth in hi-viz, stepped in a pothole, got soaked and got into my car (eventually) in a very sour frame of mind

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - dimdip

Leeds-Bradford also charges £3 minimum to drop off / pick up. A one-way road in and no possibility to leave without paying once you get wind of the trap. I really hate that sort of dishonest opportunism.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - John F

For those arriving by train and relying on the bus from the station--i would allow an extra hour....

...Luton airport is a disgrace to the UK.

Actually, it's our favourite airport now. Mid term parking is reasonably cheap and now easy from the M1, almost walkable to the terminal, unlike dreadful Stansted (car parks miles away and toy train from shopping mall to gates.) And no queues last Saturday mid morning!!

But the rail/shuttle bus link is stupid. Instead of planning a direct route from the airport side of the station on the road which the normal town buses use, it leaves from the wrong side of the station and drives away from the airport to eventually join a road which enables it to cross the tracks to get to the road to the airport. Tried it once - never again.

Access to Luton airport drop off zone etc - Avant

A difference here between parking and dropping off. But there are many joys of living in rural Dorset, and the likelihood of never having to go to Luton Airport again is definitely one of them.

Further to my initial post-I understand that there is no time limit for dropping off/collecting. However the £Clock keeps rising-big time. I say this --since it could well be one of the reasons why there is a queue to get in at rush hour (05.50!)--and as we all know--put empty spaces in a car park(anywhere!) and they will be filled. Personally I would want "out" at once--but there are always some who for some odd reason at airports just love to linger. However--this is a cash cow--so doubtless it will remain.