All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Smileyman

I don't have the technical expertise to separate out the truths, half truths and lies, but am convinced my next car will be petrol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3467612/Why-diesel-car-greatest-s-touted-low-carbon-fuel-s-cost-tens-thousands-lives-air-filthier.html

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - drd63

Regardless, they are horrible to drive imo and my current car is diesel. Hope to go back to petrol next time.

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Bolt

It will not matter what form of fuel is used to transport us, there will always be a reason to why its bad for us/environment.

considering the warnings about both petrol and diesel as far back as I remember, I dont think there is much we can do about it for a few years, due to the cost of moving to type of fuel ie electric, but that has even more problems

trying to charge millions of cars at once is moving problem to power stations instead....

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - focussed

Regardless, they are horrible to drive imo and my current car is diesel. Hope to go back to petrol next time.

Why are diesel cars horrible to drive? I would hate to have to go back to petrols, lack of torque unless turboocharged, you've got to rev the guts out of them to get anywhere etc.

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - gordonbennet

Many modern Diesels are indeed horrible to drive, there is nothing more frustrating than a vehicle that feels strangled of fuel at revs below (up to) 2000 then all of a sudden its comes on stream and does like hell but only for 1500 rpm or so of power burst, and you have to be stirring the gearstick like you're baking a cake to keep the torque in the right band with increasingly more gears through necessity, a right pita at moving junctions...part of the reason for the short life of some clutches IMHO with people inadvertantly slipping the things.

There are more Diesel cars out there than enough, though there are many underpowered petrols too, difference being they're flat all time.:-)

Some excellent examples entirely the opposite of course, generally engines with high swept volume power cylinder, and the right gearbox (usually proper autos) are very good at masking flat spots, and not all petrols are gutless at low revs, some come into their own at low/mid range revs despite having no forced induction.

There's good reason the remappers have done well in recent years, in many cases it wasn't people looking for massive power gains but simply to make their Diesels in particular more driveable by lowering the point of spool up so spreading the torque band wider.

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Wackyracer

If that newspaper article is true, both GB and myself should be dead by now from all those diseases. HGV drivers must breath in more diesel exhaust fumes than enough in a life of driving trucks, coupling up trailers with the engine running etc.

I drive an old IDI engined car and the power deliver is far superior to a petrol or indeed a modern HDI engine. I hate cars where you have to rev the engine just to be able to pull away without stalling it.

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Cyd

I hate cars where you have to rev the engine just to be able to pull away without stalling it.

Totally agree. It's why I don't care for Hondas with V-TECs.

How about this:
300Nm from 1750rpm, rising to 380Nm at 2400 to 4200rpm. Max power 270hp at a leisurely 5200 rpm. The rev limiter is at 7000rpm, but if you get to it, the torque and power has long since died to virtually nothing.

No need to pick the precise gear you need! Got 3rd on a roundabout? Save yourself the change down to second and just let that torque do the work. Wanna overtake on the motorway? Just plant it on the floor in 6th and that 380 torques will propel you forward like a scalded cat. With a lighter foot 40+ mpg is possible still with reasonable progress.

But if you really do wanna wring the best out of it, change up at 4500 - 30-110 through the gears in 10 seconds dead (fantastic overtaking) and 0-60 in 6.7 secs (if you really must), and both include 2 x 0.75 second gear changes when the power is clearly disconnected from the wheels. Oh, real times, me driving, decent timing gear.

Best of all? It's a petrol. 2 litre turbocharged. Clean, smooth and quiet and no messy hands at the pumps. And non of this DPF rubbish.

I'll have a decent forced induction petrol any day of the week (try a supercharged XF-S!!).

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Cyd

lack of torque unless turboocharged, you've got to rev the guts out of them to get anywhere etc.

ESPECIALLY true of non turbocharged deisels

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Bromptonaut

ESPECIALLY true of non turbocharged deisels

Uh?? Are there any non turbo diesels now?

Only driven the XUD and it's DW derivative, non turbo IDI units. All pulled like trains from 1500 to 3000 rpm. No need to rev at all, indeed doing so is a cwot.

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - lordwoody

Amazing that anyone would choose petrol on your analysis, of course it bears little resemblence to the real life experience of most petrol engined car drivers, plus we don't have to worry about the endless technical problems experienced by diesel drivers. Mazda 6 diesel anyone?

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - RT

Amazing that anyone would choose petrol on your analysis, of course it bears little resemblence to the real life experience of most petrol engined car drivers, plus we don't have to worry about the endless technical problems experienced by diesel drivers. Mazda 6 diesel anyone?

These "endless technical problems" inflicted on turbo-diesels have now all been introduced on turbo-petrol engines which have just as much techical complexity now as the turbo-diesels.

I'd love to afford a V8 non-turbo petrol doing 15 mpg on a good day but I'll have to settle for a V6 turbo-diesel doing 30mpg on a bad day.

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - craig-pd130

Don't worry, when the use of fossil fuels is finally legislated into history, Ford Motor Co. will finally launch the engine that runs on water alone that they've kept secret for the past 50 years ;-D

So all those poor souls who perished and lost everything in Blair/Bush/Cameron/Obamacare middle east oil wars needn't have done so after all?

Forgive the ghoulish irony (no humour intended), but most of us realised money/power/oil/influence and regime change to suit the west was the base reasoning for Iraq and Libya alone, and look how close we came to attacking the only stable regime in Syria, 13 votes.

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Gibbo_Wirral

Its the Daily Mail. Here's a great link of all the things they've reported on in the past that cause cancer:

www.anorak.co.uk/288298/keyposts/the-daily-mails-l.../

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - slkfanboy

What we can say as a fact is that the usa worry more about NOx and Paticles and the EU about Co2. Hence the VW scandled being a non issue in europe and 18 Billion+ issues in the US.

After that we have to decide what we mean by clean air. Personally when I orked opposite a fuel depot, i think black fog from diesel caused by the trucks coming in and out was bad for my health.

>After that we have to decide what we mean by clean air<

Yes exactly, there is no such thing as clean air,unless you work in a clean air factory that is, some seem to worry more about exhaust fumes than the germs/dust that float about in the air....

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - kiss (keep it simple)

They missed out D for Daily Mail

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - madf

I assume this is an early April fool.

Anyone - but ANYONE - who quotes the Daily Mail as a reason for doing /not doing soemthing is winding me up...

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Ethan Edwards

I disagree Turbo Diesels driven well are quite entertaining. The D Mail is a joke and I read it for a laugh not news.

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Steveieb

I agree with Gordon Bennett, the golden era of diesels appear to be over, at least in performance terms.

Having tried the modern Diesels in terms of the Golf 1.6 TDI I wondered what had happened to the wonderful torque curve i once enjoyed with VW Diesels. The engine kept stalling on take off.Although the economy was brilliant.

So along with several of my friends now retired from the motor trade, I have gone back in time and enjoy the wonderful characteristics of the PD 140 BHP in my 03 A4.

I am wondering what can surpass the golden era of diesels which we enjoyed in the early 2000 s before the EU started forcing manufacturers to meet these technically impossible limits of emissions.

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Big John

I don't have the technical expertise to separate out the truths, half truths and lies, but am convinced my next car will be petrol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3467612/Why-diesel-car-greatest-s-touted-low-carbon-fuel-s-cost-tens-thousands-lives-air-filthier.html

Particulate emmisions are a real health problem although the issue is complex - it's not just diesels that produce them

To improve efficiency/CO2 many petrol engines now have direct injection however a side effect of this is the production of particulates!

GPF's (Gasoline Particulate Filter) coming our way next year for some petrol engines, although there are some engines now being produced with both direct and port injection to avoid this problem

Edited by Big John on 29/02/2016 at 19:36

"Many modern Diesels are indeed horrible to drive"

You've been driving the wrong ones then GB - get yourself into a Civic or the Accord with the 2,2 Honda diesels, sadly no longer available- I've got both at the moment one at 138 hp the other is 178 hp-great to drive, not particularly economical if you hoof them around granted, but both are around 8.5 secs 0-60, neither have been interfered with, just properly serviced. They are both more like driving a big petrol t]han a steriotypical diesel, loads of torque from way down low and then get a bit boosty at about 1600-1800 rpm all the way up to around 4500 if you want to.

You've been driving the wrong ones then GB - get yourself into a Civic or the Accord with the 2,2 Honda diesels, sadly no longer available- I've got both at the moment one at 138 hp the other is 178 hp-great to drive, not particularly economical if you hoof them around granted, but both are around 8.5 secs 0-60, neither have been interfered with, just properly serviced. They are both more like driving a big petrol t]han a steriotypical diesel, loads of torque from way down low and then get a bit boosty at about 1600-1800 rpm all the way up to around 4500 if you want to.

New 1.6 diesel is as good as the 2.2 even though some say it isnt, I can drive it exactly the same as I did the 2.2...ie, it will pull away at tickover from standstill, and accelerate as well as 2.2 but more economical

Not checked that out yet, but looks to be around the 55mpg mark in town, not that bothered really, it goes well enough for me.

as for diesels being horrible to drive, some people do talk rubbish, if they dont like them just say so

It was test driving the Civic with the 2.2 diesel which convinced me to get the 1.8 petrol. I'm not denying you can get some decent performance from a modern TD but it's just feels like a chore. Turbo petrol has to be the way to go.

It was test driving the Civic with the 2.2 diesel which convinced me to get the 1.8 petrol. I'm not denying you can get some decent performance from a modern TD but it's just feels like a chore. Turbo petrol has to be the way to go.

Pressing the accelerator is a chore, you didnt know how to drive it, its as good as the petrol once you get used to the turbo lag

And there you have it "once you get used to the turbo lag". And the narrow power band, the clattering noise. It's not the pressing of the accelerator which is a chore but how a diesel feels when you do drive it hard, it just feels like it can't be bothered. I'm not for one minute suggesting the 1.8 petrol in the Civic is a good engine it just felt more engaging than the diesel.

And there you have it "once you get used to the turbo lag". And the narrow power band, the clattering noise. It's not the pressing of the accelerator which is a chore but how a diesel feels when you do drive it hard, it just feels like it can't be bothered. I'm not for one minute suggesting the 1.8 petrol in the Civic is a good engine it just felt more engaging than the diesel.

So you dont like diesels then lol

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - RT

I've only owned 2 turbo-diesels, a Hyundai 2.2 and VW 3.0 - neither suffers from any turbo lag due to the use of a variable-geometry turbo, as most cars get fitted these days - and at 430/580 Nm instant torque everything is as instant as you want.

With modern throttle-by-wire cars, any perceived throttle lag is more likely due to the electronic throttle mapping - usually with faster response in Sport mode.

You've been driving the wrong ones then GB - get yourself into a Civic or the Accord with the 2,2 Honda diesels, sadly no longer available-

er, 'no longer available'

and that your worship is the case for the prosecution..:-)

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Smileyman

linked to DM as there is no paywall to negotiate ... unlike the DT - whatever you think of the DM and the report the subject is serious and needs to be debated!

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - Brit_in_Germany

And nowadays the DT site has the same content as the DM anyway.

"New 1.6 diesel is as good as the 2.2 even though some say it isnt, I can drive it exactly the same as I did the 2.2...ie, it will pull away at tickover from standstill, and accelerate as well as 2.2 but more economical."

Some say it isn't- so do I.

I think you are overstating the new 1.6 I-Dtec it's only got 300nm torque and 120 hp

The old 2.2 ctdi has 340 nm torque and 138 hp.

How can it be as good or perform to the same level?

Civic 2.2 ctdi 8th generation 8.3 secs 0-100 kmh

Civic 1.6 ctdi 9th generation 10.5 secs 0-100 kmh

It dosen't!

The 2.2 ctdi in my type S Accord has 380 nm torque and 178 hp.

"New 1.6 diesel is as good as the 2.2 even though some say it isnt, I can drive it exactly the same as I did the 2.2...ie, it will pull away at tickover from standstill, and accelerate as well as 2.2 but more economical."

Some say it isn't- so do I.

I think you are overstating the new 1.6 I-Dtec it's only got 300nm torque and 120 hp

The old 2.2 ctdi has 340 nm torque and 138 hp.

How can it be as good or perform to the same level?

Civic 2.2 ctdi 8th generation 8.3 secs 0-100 kmh

Civic 1.6 ctdi 9th generation 10.5 secs 0-100 kmh

It dosen't!

The 2.2 ctdi in my type S Accord has 380 nm torque and 178 hp.

No good comparing the accord 2.2 and remapped ecu version of the Civic (which accord and Civic are)

My perception of the 1.6 is as I stated,(probably all it is, my perception of it rather than actually does) opinions vary, but its still a good Diesel imo

All & Any!! - Diesel Fuel? - DirtyDieselDogg

The humble 105BHP 1.6TDI in our Octavia is plently fast enough to get me in plenty of trouble with the law, if I was not as observant as I am.

It would certainly drive better without the complexities of the DPF system, but the next time I get DPF issues, this being "fettled" by a competent Indy.

I have however over 5.5 years and 90,000 miles have very very little DPF trouble, despitite a hugely unsuitable daily driving regime.

It is NOT as econominical as a 1990's/2000 era diesel was though.

Progress

huh!