Vauxhall Astra J 1.4 SRI Turbo - Help needed! Car warranty - mlearmonth233

Hi guys.

I am looking for some much needed advice, any help would be appreciated!

So I bought a 2010 plate Astra J in October (4 months ago) on finance from a car dealership. The car has been running without any problem until recently it underwent complete engine failure, without any prior indication of any problem. I mean, no warning lights etc. I had 3 months free warranty and then took out my own warranty just last week.

Now i am in a predicament where I have a car in the garage that required a whole new engine (quoted £3500) and the warranty is not valid as I have no service history on the vehicle.

I believe that this may have been an issue with the vehicle before I even purchased it? Should the garage that I bought the vehicle be liable? Is it right that my warranty is not valid?? I really have no idea about cars so any help is welcome.

Thanks

Vauxhall Astra J 1.4 SRI Turbo - Help needed! Car warranty - oldroverboy.

While I sympathise with you, The only advice I could give you honestly is to

1. Research the vehicle and its problems BEFORE purchase. Next Time.

2. Never ever buy a car without servive history, however cheap.

3. Treat all warranties as very expensive toilet paper.

Finally attempt to source an engine from a write off, plenty around, try e bay.

Perhaps not the advice you would like.

Vauxhall Astra J 1.4 SRI Turbo - Help needed! Car warranty - Cyd

What was the nature of the failure? And why must this mean a 'new' engine?

Go to a good independant garage and enquire about either a secondhand motor or a remanufactured unit or even rebuilding your own engine.

Can't help you with the warranty except that you should have checked if you can meet the T's & C's before you bought it. Most are not worth the paper they are written on as they have more get out clauses than I've had hot dinners.

Vauxhall Astra J 1.4 SRI Turbo - Help needed! Car warranty - catsdad

Under Sale of Goods act the supplying dealer is liable for such issues for 6 months. Such faults are deemed to have been present at sale and the dealer would have to prove they were not. Do not involve other garages. The OP using "recently" and referring to a week ago suggests they might be trying to buy a warranty after the failure. If so trying to claim is both uneccessary and fraudulent. Apologies if the warranty was bought before the failure but the vagueness raised my suspicions.

Vauxhall Astra J 1.4 SRI Turbo - Help needed! Car warranty - daveyK_UK
Problems with the 1.4 turbo engine - lots of head gasket issues which is a shame as its a cracking engine, some people on the Vauxhall owners forum have noticed GM have tweaked the engine in recent months to get rid of the problem for newly built cars.

Might be worth checking owners forum for advice
Vauxhall Astra J 1.4 SRI Turbo - Help needed! Car warranty - TedCrilly

There was a recall on these, to replace an oil feed pipe to the turbo. I would be checking to see if yours was one of those affected and if the work was done. Ring your local Vx garage and ask them, they will know from the reg no.

Unlikely Vx will want to help you out though, not without any service history.

And before you go trying to lay the blame at the dealers feet and quoting all that SOGA talk you need to know EXACTLY why it failed and how. You cant expect them to pick up the pieces if you have let it run low on oil or filled it with diesel or if its done more miles than the Ark Royal and died of natural causes.