12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - sneakyd

Looking to get a new car for a 130 mile commute per day.

My budget is 12k.

Looking at all options but hopefully in 3 years time will have some value left in whatever i buy.

Been looking at :-

BMW 320d Business Edition 184ps (2010) with 22k on the clock

Vauxhall Astra 2.0 CDTi EcoFlex (2015) with 7k

Skoda Rapid Spaceback 1.6 TDi CR (105ps) (2015) SE Tech with 1600 miles

Citreon DS3 1.6 BlueHDI DStyle (2015) with delivery mileage.

I'm currently running an Alfa Romeo 156SW 1.9 JTD Multijet Veloce (150ps) and its gone 106k so time for a change.

Not purchased a car for 8 years and until change of job recently needed a commuting car. I have a bit of work to get mine going as it should hence the need to change.

My preference would be the BMW but am a bit wary of spending on a 6 year old car. Read some horror stories about them so any advice would be appreciated.

Any other recommdations are welcome. These are just models I've seen.

Thanks

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - dafskipman

Any Ford Mondeo Diesel should be well up to the job. Not exactly glamourous, but reliability (usually) second to none. Generally rated very highly by the experts, read HJ's car reviews. Loads of models to choose from, If you want all the bells & whistle's, look at the Titanium X, if you're not bothered then a Zetec should suit your needs. Initial heavy depreciation should work in your favour, as a nearly new MK4 should now be well within your budget, as it's recently been supersceded by the new MK5. Main thing is, test drive as many makes/models as you can before parting with your 12k.

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - Engineer Andy

Rather than just scanning the local newspaper ads and Autotrader, I would make a list of all the things you want from your new car, not just how you'll use it, then check through the reviews here for cars that, on the face of it, meet those criteria (including running costs other than just fuel) - those you have been looking at are very diverse in terms of size/body style/performance/trim/running costs.

E.g.

Do you need a car that can adequately seat 4 or 5 people, or an animal (estates) in the boot, or heavy/large loads regularly?

Will you be the only one driving the car?

What is your budget for insurance, VED, servicing, allowance for replacement parts, including tyres (all of which would vary a LOT comparing a 6yo BMW with a year-old Astra for example)?

Do you want luxury (and what gadgets can you afford it to have - note that they may fail on older but more upmarket cars and then be worthless or expensive [to fix] playthings), or ride comfort (not easy to have both these days), or a more 'utilitarian' vehicle that will last a long time (how long do you intend to keep it?)?

I would read through some of the other threads asking similar questions so you can put your list together - it kind of gets annoying having to keep repeating the same respons (above) every time some newbie wants some advice about buying a car - you should check the 'How to buy & Sell' section of the website as well.

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - daveyK_UK

if you want it to have value after 3 years and an extra 90k, then it will need to be Japanese or German.

Personally, I would go for a 1 year old diesel Honda Civic - that should fall within your budget.

If you need more rear leg room and boot space (the boot in a rapid is huge), you will be able to pick up a new skoda rapid with the 1.2 tsi higher output engine for £12k.

Look out for the seat Toledo, its the exact same car, different badge but a good Seat dealer is hard to find.

Go for the 1.2 tsi Rapid/Toledo; while the 1.6 diesel may seem to have better fuel economy on paper, it will cost you considerably more to buy, to service, to insure and the 1.6 VW diesels have numerous problems.

the 110 1.2 tsi in a rapid should get you 55mpg if you average around 80mph, you can get over 60mpg if you sit around 60mph.

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - Avant

I agree with the petrol option in the Skoda Rapid - you can also have it with the 1.4 TSI. Both will feel livelier than the 1.6 diesel: the Rapid can be the normal hatchback or the Spaceback, both with huge boots.

If you'd prefer a diesel, don't ignore the Ford Focus: the 2.0 TDCI will give you more performance than the 1.6 with little loss of economy. Better to drive than a Vauxhall Astra and shouldn't be any more expensive for the same age and mileage.

The Honda Civic diesel as suggested above is another good option: I'd be put off by the poor rear visibility, but those who have Civics say that they can live with it.

Edited by Avant on 21/02/2016 at 19:50

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - Smileyman

I'm looking at the Rapid/Toledo for the same reason - note the 1.4 engine only comes with DSG transmission which is a pity. The spaceback version is slightly smaller & cheaper to buy but the boot is still a decent size.

Intrigued by the 55mph claim, one of the issues to consider is the range of a tank of petrol, don't want to be spending too much time at the pumps.

Edited by Smileyman on 22/02/2016 at 23:38

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - Ian_SW

Given the distance, I assume this is motorway commuting.

What you'd need more than most for that is a big comfortable seat and a good stereo.

I'd add the Insignia to the list. It's not really any difference in price to the Astra but much quieter and more comfortable on the motorway. In a similar category, the Avensis is also worth a look.

If it was me doing that mileage, I'd stick with the car for longer than 3 years. That kind of usage pattern wears the car out much more slowly than average use, but the used value won't reflect this. I know several people who do monster motorway miles for work, and they generally are able to run to about 150k before anything really starts to go wrong.

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - Big John

I used to have a new 1989 Astra 1.3 company car that worked hard for it's living - 65,000 miles a year. I left the company when it had 75,000 miles and it still had the orginal tyres and nothing had ever gone wrong - spent it's life on a motorway

With your mileage presume that whatever you buy will have very little value in a few years. it's what I do - buy cheap and throw away. I've done longish commutes for years!

Edited by Big John on 23/02/2016 at 22:37

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - SLO76
Considering the mileage you expect to cover and that 12k budget I'd be looking at a Honda Civic diesel. Tough as old boots, plenty of room, £20 road tax, 55mpg and loads of go plus it'll be far more reliable and worth more with 100k plus up than a Fiat engined Astra/Insignia 2.0 or PSA diesel Focus or Mondeo if either of them make it there without major surgery. The PSA 1600 is notorious for oil starvation and turbo failure and Fiat diesels are rarely long lived. If you must have an Astra stick to the Isuzu 1700 diesel, the 130bhp variant has plenty of go and it'll run forever. I've had bad experiences with BMW too, timing chain failure on a 47,000 mile 3 Series with full service history which topped off a painful ownership experience of snapped springs, worn bushes and a spoiler that kept falling off. Been in Brit built Honda's recently, a CRV via a Civic and both have been pain free.
12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - slkfanboy

I think i would take the BMW with 22K on the clock, I had one did 150k in three years trougble free and good mpg

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - balleballe

I'd look at a 9th gen civic with the 1.6 diesel.

Motorway driving returns exceptional mpg, and its reliable.

I have the previous gen civic with the 2.2 and I easily get 55mpg on the motorway. My friend who has the 1.6 gets around 69mpg (measured brim to brim).

The BMW should be ok, but it's 6 years old so something is bound to fail soon

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - slkfanboy

Test drive the 1.6 Civic first, some have commented it a bit sluggish

To be fair, I've driven a few 1.6's and Hondas is pretty lively in comparison to most, such as the VAG or Ford lump. Pulls reasonably well from around 1600k revs

It's still a 1.6 though, so you can't expect miracles. They may have been able to extract more power from the 1.6 but then the mpg and reliabilty would likely suffer.

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - cilvilservant

Should be able to get a 3 year old Volvo V40 in that price range. Ultra comfortable and a great cruiser.

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - Wukl

Playing devils advocate a bit here, but you say your budget is £12k, would you consider spending a chunk less, say £6k and bank the remainder as 'balance in the car'? Or - as I would do - offset lower capital cost against greater running costs and go for a decent and reliable petrol cruiser? I thinking something like a 2007 or so Lexus IS250. Might not be your thing (older car, petrol driving etc), but thought I should suggest it!

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - Falkirk Bairn

30K per year in a 8/9 year old IS250? Heavy on petrol!

Maybe better with a Auris Hybrid - newer and likely to give around 50mpg

assuming the 30K is not 85mph motorway but a mixture of driving and a light right foot!

A D-i-L averages some 52 mpg in a Lexus CT 4 year old and only needing servicing, brakes, tyres & wipers it has been 100%. (20K miles per year)

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply.

I was looking at the bmw again today and its an extremely nice car.

Dont think it will be available though.

Did a bit of proper viewing today and like a 2011 passat 1.6 tdi bluemotion se for 10k.

Has lots of space which helps with work for transporting kit around.

my driving is 90% motorway driving and cruise along at 70. can possibly take 5k off my total miles by swapping carswith my wife once a week.

Ultimately i'm looking for a comfortable and a reliable car.

Also looked at a focus and golf. Wasnt keen on the dashboard of the volvo c30.

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - daveyK_UK

that particular passat is both an unreliable car with an unreliable engine, avoid.

12k budget for a new car to do 30k miles a year - SteveLee
Did a bit of proper viewing today and like a 2011 passat 1.6 tdi bluemotion se for 10k.

Ultimately i'm looking for a comfortable and a reliable car.

Also looked at a focus and golf. Wasnt keen on the dashboard of the volvo c30.

Then forget the Passat - that era car is a piece of unreliable junk - just buy a Mondeo - a fantastic car in every respect, cheap and you can tuck a few grand away (by NOT buying German or Japanese) for any unexpected expences. The Mondeo is one of the best motorway cars you can buy at any price and they are reliable.

The other advantage with Ford is that most garages will know their way around a mondeo due to the amount of them on the road, which would also mean cheaper parts.

Mondeos are, like most well maintained cars, pretty reliable. My experience with Ford has been less than positive and I would personally never have another but I appreciate there are many happy Ford drivers out there.

You cannot beat the Japanese for reliability, regardless of what anybody says.