Registration number retention charges - Pondlife

I've got a registration number on retention coming up for renewal. The rules changed last year, so I'm wondering what the situation is now.

I've got a rentention document (V778) that says I can extend for one year for £25. Can I send that in with payment, as I've not been sent anything to say this form has been invalidated.

I've also received a reminder letter which says that I can apply to extend the retention period by filling in and returning the bottom part, but there's no mention of any fee or anything saying that I should enclose any payment. It says I should only use this if I've lost the V778.

The gov.uk website says the charge is £80 for ten years.

Does anyone know the cheapest way to retain the number for a year? I'll probably assign it to a car within a few months, so I don't need ten years.

Registration number retention charges - Doc

dvladigital.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/09/it-now-costs-le.../

It looks like there is no fee to pay.

See Q&A:

Andrew Robertson — 11/03/2015

I have had my reg no. On retention for 3 years and it's due to expire on 27/3/15.
The assignment fee has already been advanced but I just want to carry on keeping it on retention.
Do I send the retention document back as normal with the £25?

Jason Llewelyn — 12/03/2015

Hi Andrew, as the expiry of entitlement for your retention expires on 27/3/15 then you will not be required to pay the £25 to extend. Any number which is on retention and due to expire on 9/3/15 or later will no longer be required to pay the £25 fee. Thanks

Registration number retention charges - Pondlife

That's great news. Looks like I just need to send the slip back then.

Registration number retention charges - scot22

Yes, just had the same situation. For various reasons not a lot of time so to be safe has sent £25 cheque which was returned with explanation.