any - More parking woes! - Smileyman

Someone I know visited their local supermarket with a friend who is disabled (walks with a stick, has a blue badge), they ate a meal in the restuarant and did some shopping, spending a little over 3 hours on site with the car parked within a relevant normal bay in the supermarket car park. Unfortunately a private parking enforcement company has sent a letter stating the car was parked for longer than the authorised 3 hours and wanting a payment, reduced by 50% if paid within 14 days.

I have told them to complain to the store manager, supported by receipts with time stamps and highlighting the fact that disabled shoppers do need more time than more able bodied shoppers & asking that he intervenes to get the matter discontinued.

Is it safe to ignore this letter? The person I know is spooked by this matter.

Thanks!

Edited by Smileyman on 19/02/2016 at 22:17

any - More parking woes! - John Boy

I doubt whether the complaint will do much good. As the disabled person was accompanied, then 3 hours is a long time for a meal and shopping. I'd make the complaint pronto and I'd certainly not ignore the letter.

any - More parking woes! - RT

I doubt whether the complaint will do much good. As the disabled person was accompanied, then 3 hours is a long time for a meal and shopping. I'd make the complaint pronto and I'd certainly not ignore the letter.

Disabled people don't get any quicker just because they're accompanied - and like everyone else they only get 2 hours at motorway services.

Complaining to the store manager now is the way forward.

any - More parking woes! - NARU

I'd start with a read of the FAQs here: forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

You'll then follow the link to here: forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4766...9

Was the parking company Parking Eye? I now go out of my way to avoid retailers and retail parks where Parking Eye operate the car parks.

Edited by Marlot on 20/02/2016 at 05:57

any - More parking woes! - oldroverboy.

last year I had a problem at Wickes here in Colchester...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=109714

Asda in Colchester have a sign that says if you need longer, tell us.

The retailer can get it cancelled as long as the OP has NOT paid.

any - More parking woes! - hillman

Ring the local newspaper and let the editor know of the incident. The newspapers know that headlines sell newspapers and the shops hate adverse publicity

Having spent more time reading the subject I note that the Supreme Court has supported the use of charges by parking enforcement companies (November 2015)

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/parkingeye-vs-beavis/

Here is a petition to stop private parking companies charging disproportionate penalties in car parks - ie to get the law changed

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111925

any - More parking woes! - dan86

Petition signed

Edited by dan86 on 21/02/2016 at 09:04

any - More parking woes! - Theophilus

I've also signed ... but the numbers are so far short of 100,000 required for parliament to debate the petition I fear its prospects are minimal.

any - More parking woes! - daveyjp
Beavis was judged on very specific circumstances and there are plenty of reasons why it wouldn't apply in lots of cases, but thats a side show.

The Equality Act trumps any parking restrictions and this is the line of attack with the retailer. Plenty on moneysavingexpert, search for couponmad user.
any - More parking woes! - John Boy

As it happens, I'm the carer for a disabled person, who has a blue badge, and she agrees with me about this. In those circumstances we would make sure we were back within the time limit, even if it meant 2 visits. As she said "If every disabled person was allowed to go over the time limit and get away with it, then mayhem would result".

The level of charges by private companies is another matter and we've both signed the petition.

any - More parking woes! - Gibbo_Wirral

Don't ignore the letter - appeal.

popla.co.uk/

The good news is the parking company has emailed today saying that the charge has been cancelled

My friend is chuffed with the quick response - the moral of the story is to sort out the relevant evidence then appeal in a timely way.

Take comfort from this positive result - and if you think you will need more time discuss the matter with the customer services desk whilst in store on the day.