Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - graham123

I own a 2012 Ford Focus (Mark 3) 1.6 ti vct (petrol) with nearly 19 000 miles on the clock.

How much engine oil (in mm) should this engine be using for how many miles of driving e.g. 500ml for 2000 miles of driving.

Thanks

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - skidpan

Why not leave us alone and ask on the Focus Forum.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/2-ford-focus-club/

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - galileo

You can't use a mm of oil, mm is a measure of length, not volume or weight.

As others have suggested, go ask your pointless questions on a Ford forum or at a Ford dealers.

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - quizman

Are you old enough to drive on the road?

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - Oli rag

4 pecks or 1 bushel per thousand furlongs is fairly standard for this engine.

Hope this helps.

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - FoxyJukebox

Surely a family car doing a reasonable 8k miles a year will use no more than a litre of oil?

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - FP

I agree with other posters that the OP has some kind of strange obsession about trivial matters, particularly what is happening to his engine oil. Either that, or he's having a laugh.

However, to take the question seriously for a moment, there is an issue with certain prestige or performance cars using a significant amount of oil. Not Ford - not normally, anyway, as far as I'm aware.

My Focus Mark 2 2-litre (80,000 on the clock) appears to use no oil at all. It never needs topping up between changes.

The answer to the OP's question is that his car shouldn't need any oil in 2000 miles. It will certainly have used some, but too little to worry about, unless there is a problem.

The OP should stop obsessing about slight changes of level on the dipstick, because that's a pretty crude way of measuring anyway. If the level suddenly drops below minimum then he can start worrying.

P.S. Have you noticed that Graham asks a question every few weeks, gets various replies, but never comes back again? There's no dialogue. Perhaps he just enjoys provoking our responses. Perhaps he likes it when we're rude.

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - gordonbennet

Another forum has a particularly annoying troll who's choice of names has certain similarities.

Oil consumption wise, i'm not bothered about a little use, a pint every couple of thousand miles wouldn't worry me one bit, though neither of our three petrol cars use anything measurable despite aged between 14 and 20 years and none less than 100k miles but all well serviced from new.

The family Aygo has been sounding rather rattly over the last year or so, uses a little oil but always has used a bit, probably that single pint in 2k miles, its now out of warranty but the rattling has been reported several times to the dealer whilst still in warranty who say there's nothing wrong so if it goes bang they'll be getting a visit.

Owner came up to see us last week so as well as slipping a set of new front pads in i treated it to an oil change with my own oil, Morris Full Synthetic, and genuine filter, sounded a little better to me in start up which is fpften the case but i went to the factors in it to pick up a new air filter cos the other was filthy (not impressed, full Toyota history), convenient intial bed in of the new pads too, hardly needed as it happens.

Anyway by the time i got back the engine sounded very different, rattles have virtually vanished, the owner is shocked how much quieter it is, and speaking to her yesterday that's still the same.

This isn't the first time, coincidentally with another Toyota, Landcruiser, where putting a known very high quality oil in has made some extremely dubious sounds disappear permanently, i'd put the previous oil only 1000 miles before when i serviced it, that was a household name too.

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - Gibbo_Wirral

Mine never seem to use any oil, but I do changes every six months so maybe that's why?

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - John F

My records show that up to 80,000m our Focus needed 500mls between changes at approx 12k/2yrly intervals. From 80k to 92k it needed 1.5l. From 92k to 103k it needed only 1l. So far at 112k it has needed 1.5l and I am waiting for it to go to the minimum and warmer weather before I renew the bog standard cheap 5-30 semisynthetic I usually use and which is perfectly adequate for a not particularly stressed engine.

So more than 5k per litre for a 100k plus engine which has had to work reasonably hard is about what one would expect, I think.

I think the air filter might have been changed just before we bought it 12 yrs ago - it is easily serviced with a stiff small paintbrush and a vacuum cleaner.

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - Bolt

Unless the OP is the owner of one that drives through Bromley at the weekend,as soon as it pulls away from the lights it leaves a blue fog behind and you cannot see for several seconds

It should not be on the road

Ford Focus - How much engine oil should my engine be using? - 3uga

Find workshop manuals and look there. The dv6 engine or 16tdci has 100ml of oil eating at 1000km.