VW 1.9 TDi PD - Hard to start cold - Roy Brown

My 1.9 Tdi mk5 is developed a problem where I noticed it is hard to start from cold. I fitted a new battery which has helped, but it has still not cured the problem. The only way I can start it is by putting my foot on the accerlator whilst turning it over??

I had a previous problem with an air noise in the following link which has been unresolved: www.honestjohn.co.uk/user-article/112344/vw-golf-1...5

Could these problems be related? I am currently waiting to get the car scanned with a diagnostics machine but the last time I got it scanned there was no problems apparent. Any help appreciated, cheers.

VW 1.9 TDi PD - Hard to start cold - elekie&a/c doctor
Is it cranking over fast enough?Vw do an uprated starter motor to help with this problem.It needs to be spinning at least 250 rpm ,otherwise it will not fire up.
VW 1.9 TDi PD - Hard to start cold - 3uga

I thikn you should check the starter. Have a axb engine on the t5 and it has had a problem with starting for a while.

Cheers for the replies, I think it is spinning fast enough. If you get it started then switch it off, then start it up again it starts OK. I will take a look at the starter tommorrow to see. Just noticed the alternator was replaced along with a new belt so would like to think its not it acting up. Thanks

Well had a look today, I think the starter is working fine. Sounds more like the car wasnt getting fuel even though on the guage it had 1/4 tank and no fuel low light on. I put in some fuel via a jar and it sounded very echoey. Im afriad to start it incase it air locks now, is there any tips on how I can do this so it doesnt air lock? Cheers

VW 1.9 TDi PD - Hard to start cold - Perfection
Could be the fuel pump. Whilst cranking the car ask someone to tap near the tank to see if the starting is improved.
VW 1.9 TDi PD - Hard to start cold - Big John

Glow plugs?

Got it sorted, must just be a faulty float. I cleaned the glow plugs just to be sure and put diesel in the fuel filter and primed the system by turning the key a few time. Starts first go now