Puegot Boxer Van 2L petrol 1997 - Problems after Cam Belt Change - Flyer5

Hi

any ideas what might cause this?

1997 2L petrol.

Had the cam belt changed, new plugs, filters, liquids etc.

When I went ot pick it up it started and died. It would start, as soon as you pressed the throttle it died. Mechanic came out and said it had previously been botched to make it run (it was running on the throttle all the time)

He said it may be MAP sensor so had to leave the van.

Got charge 70 quid for a map sensor and told the van was ok so went to pick it up.

Started it up and it started and ticked over, as soon as I put pressure on the throttle it cut out. It did this for 5 minutes then started running ok

mechanic reckoned he spent 4 hours fault finding and found a dry joint on the ecu.

Mechanic reckoned it had been running rich for ages and needed a run out. drove it home and it did seem nippier and to run smoother than before. Parked it up (a week ago - its a motorhome) went to start it today;

It started and ticked over lovely, no spluttering or change in tickover.

Put it in reverse and started pulling off the drive and had to stop. Tried to continue and it died.

Now, every time I start it it starts ok and ticks over, but on any pressure on the throttle it dies.

Im asking the wider audience, any ideas what this could be?

Cheers

Puegot Boxer Van 2L petrol 1997 - Problems after Cam Belt Change - hardway

A dry joint on the ECU?

Wow,

Yeah it can happen but....

He must be some Tech 'cause when you open up an ECU you usually just close them up again and send it to the testers.

I've opened them up to check for water ingress but never have I checked the hundred+ solder joints inside.

Which one would you start with?

Anyway you and me would be just guessing without the camper being scanned.

Preferably with Peugeot Planet diagnostics,

I don't know if it's because they're French but P,P is the only reliable diagnostic system to use.

But if I was forced to guess the first thing I would be testing/suspecting would be the throttle pedal sensor.

Get it scanned first.

Puegot Boxer Van 2L petrol 1997 - Problems after Cam Belt Change - Cyd
He must be some Tech 'cause when you open up an ECU you usually just close them up again and send it to the testers.

Why?

Before I returned to Automotive Engineering I did a 7 year spell as a domestic electrician. I worked with 3 local gas fitters wiring up central heating systems and diagnosing electrical problems. All three would call me if they suspected the boiler pcb was at fault. I would inspect it and re-solder any dry or faulty joints. It was a surprisingly common problem. I fixed loads of them and saved custmers £000's (boiler pcbs have a tendancy to be extremely expensive).

It's not that hard.

Puegot Boxer Van 2L petrol 1997 - Problems after Cam Belt Change - Railroad.
Dry solder joints are very common on fuel pump relays too. Over the years I've repaired dozens of them on various different cars.....
Puegot Boxer Van 2L petrol 1997 - Problems after Cam Belt Change - dadbif
Common fault on MK1 MX5 Airflow meters too, easy fix.
Puegot Boxer Van 2L petrol 1997 - Problems after Cam Belt Change - Flyer5

Ive looked at the PP stuff on ebay, my van has a 3 pin socket, the only adapter i can find from 3 to 16 pin says fiat and lancia, do you know if the PP stuff works with an under the bonnet obd connector? all the stuff i can find refers to the inside the cab connector