ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower - FoxyJukebox

Advice plse!-At Npower's request last week- I submitted accurate meter readings on my direct debit dual fuel account-which at the time(28/1) was £389 in credit.

My usage-as recorded by the meter reading(29/1) this last winter quarter was slightly lower than estimated. Only slightly.

On checking my account this morning I see that since the 29/1 meter reading Npower have applied 5 bill reversals on my acount resulting in increased credits, the most recent being a staggering £2850.

Obviously I am going to challenge them on this, -it's an accounts muck up-but this time-instead of listening to telephone advisor "youarecurentlyincreditandwearecurrentlypreparingyourfebruarybillwhich..."..I am tempted to ask them to return me the £2850 and see what happens?

Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on? If --as i suspect they have utterly mucked this up and got their figures in a twist-with any luck I might win my first major energy bill accounts battle?

To re-iterate-there are no unusual energy circumstances on my account, no major reductions in my usage and no current billing disagreements or disputes. I have been with Npower for at least 10 years.

Comments VERY welcome!

ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower - alan1302

As it's a credit I'd just e-mail them and wait and see what they say.

Suppose you could request your credit but never know if they change their mind later on down the road and want it back!

ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower - Avant

It's all done by computer, and you have to remember that computers are mindless. Just let it happen, and if you get the credit paid to you, put it in a savings account and wait for a year or so, and spend it when you can be sure they won't ask for it back.

ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower - galileo

Npower are notorious for inaccurate bills and have been fined recently for their disastrous record in sorting out errors. (details in the Saturday Telegraph the other week - here's a link. tinyurl.com/je4b9p3)

ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower - FP

I think Avant is spot-on.

I would ask for the refund, bank it and get interest, but not spend it.

ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower - dadbif
Good advice, done it in the past "bank error in your favour", for those who used to play monopoly...
ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower - csgmart

Advice plse!-At Npower's request last week- I submitted accurate meter readings on my direct debit dual fuel account-which at the time(28/1) was £389 in credit.

My usage-as recorded by the meter reading(29/1) this last winter quarter was slightly lower than estimated. Only slightly.

On checking my account this morning I see that since the 29/1 meter reading Npower have applied 5 bill reversals on my acount resulting in increased credits, the most recent being a staggering £2850.

. I have been with Npower for at least 10 years.

Comments VERY welcome!

Firstly if you've been with npower for 10 years I would strongly recommend you get a quote for switching to another supplier. Energy companies love customers like you - they make an absolute mint from people who just don't switch. I do a lot of work with the big 6 energy companies and I reckon you could save yourself over £300 a year (obviously I don't know your exact circumstances but the average person who hasnt switched for 10 years of so would do that). Staggeringly more than 60% of households have never switched - unbelievable. It's like throwing money down the drain. I'm sure a few on here will say "oh, we had a really bad experience etc" but I've switched about 7 times and I've never had a single problem. Must have saved myself £100s over the past 15 years or so.

Secondly, I know npower very well. They had a new SAS computer system installed about 3 or 4 years ago. It doesnt work very well and has been largely incapable of generating customer bills at all, let alone accurately. They've been fined by OFGEM on several occasions and banned from taking on new customers for a period of time until they sorted the backlog out.

I would take the advice of the person who said that you should ask for a refund - that might get some action.

ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower--but now NO BILL can be generated - FoxyJukebox

Ok--many thanks--the latest on this for anyone interested.....

1) My credit is now £2994 ...yippee....but but

2) A bill has been promised after 3 february meter reads...,,,,yes 3!....my on line account screen apologises for the "winter bill" being late.The Npower advisor I spoke to this morning assures me that she will generate a bill for me within 5 days. I am not hopeful.

3) Npower advisor admitted that the £2994 credit showing was a glitch--and that other account holders were likewise in credit ...I stayed quiet on hearing this.

4) Npower is comfortable with my useage history--I am using 10% less energy this winter. They need no further information (meter reads etc)from me.

5) I have the option of switching internally to another tariff--but before that can take place-a bill has to be generated. Should I leave the company--that can also not happen until a bill has been generated!

6) My issue and associated options would all be resolved if i can force the company to issue to issue a bill-but it seems the accounts department is imploding.

Anybody else out there as mucked up as me here?

ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower--but now NO BILL can be generated - gordonbennet

We haven't actually paid any money to NPower for over a year, you need to be a financial lawyer to make head or tail of the bills and i'm far from that, bill reversals add this subtract that, and that for electricity only, in credit for months on end, we got fed up of it.

So i did a quick price comparison check and decided to go with Robin Hood Energy (Nottm Council run), one of the cheapest for us, did the swap and got the final bill from Npower (unless they come up with another in 6 months time which wouldn't surprise me) which goes out any day of £1293.

The cynic in me wonders if this is a way of keeping customers captive, some would struggle to make these one off payments, and you can hardly leave owing hundreds or thousands.

Compare with ZOG energy who we're with for gas, we had a new comb boiler last year and the credit we were building up with them through now too high monthly payments was increasing, so i sent them an email asking if they would reduce the DD, within the hour an email arrived (always fast on the ball and friendly), DD reduced and all but £30 of credit to be refunded which i hadn't asked for, which appeared in our account overnight, cannot recommend enough.

NPower join British Gas on my personal list of never again matey.

ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower--but now NO BILL can be generated - gordonbennet

Add Sky TV to that list, like trying to get rid of ticks.

ENERGY-£2850 credit at Npower--but now NO BILL can be generated - Wackyracer

I'm with Npower and can't really fault them which is more than I can say for EON who were trying to fleece me rotten.

I usually chop and change the tariff as soon as I spot they do a better deal than what I'm on.

ENERGY - FoxyJukebox

Phew--this has taken 6 months to sort out--but things are just about ok now after a complaint and an account reboot.

Looking at my latest bill -with all meter reads and anomalies "sorted" has left me with an acceptable £214 credit -that's fine. HOWEVER on the bill itself the following figures are totally FOXING

!) "How your cost is split" shows an annual figure of £1642

2) "Your predicted use" shows an annual figure of £1807.

3) The attached dual fuel useage predict chart shows an annual figure £1447.

I am not a mathematics expert-but logic dictates that all the above figures should be the same. (I am prepared to accept that the £1642 might be an annual arrears-but if it is--why doesn't it say so?).

I can't help thinking that if i got a petrol bill after a fill up in a garage with an annual usage split figure, a predictive use figure and a projective use figure with a few standing charges thrown in I would think the oil companies had gone off their rockers

Energy companies need to start living in the real world.

ENERGY - daveyjp

Whilst it costs slightly more I still prefer:

Use the gas and electricty

Wait for a bill - more often than not an estimate

After a week give them a revised meter reading

Wait for a revised bill

Ignore correct bill for 3-4 weeks

Wait for reminder

Pay after 7-10 days of reminder arriving

That way I get up to two months of the money in my account.

In 30 years I have only had one problem and that was when a BG meter reader mixed our readings with next door.

Edited by daveyjp on 05/05/2016 at 14:22

ENERGY - FoxyJukebox

I like this approach. That way you avoid the constant revisions in monthly dual fixed (ha ha ha!) tarrifs caused by seasonal influences. You just pay AS YOU USE. Maybe these multiple price fix tarrifs are just marketing ploys to make people feel good?

ENERGY - gordonbennet

Another final final bill from NPower, this one for a mere £31...will this be like a bitter divorce from a gold digger who just keeps coming back for more dosh i wonder..:)

ENERGY - FoxyJukebox

Their latest trick is an instant automatic request/invitation to raise, retain or lower your monthly payment on submission of meter readings. However-If your useage is down and they recomend a reduction, this will take into account built up credit( for the next winter quarter)-so it's a neat way of Npower banking your credit. Beware though--your payments will escalate next winter because you've not built up credit!

Honestly-do they think their customers are m****s?

ENERGY - alan1302

Their latest trick is an instant automatic request/invitation to raise, retain or lower your monthly payment on submission of meter readings. However-If your useage is down and they recomend a reduction, this will take into account built up credit( for the next winter quarter)-so it's a neat way of Npower banking your credit. Beware though--your payments will escalate next winter because you've not built up credit!

Honestly-do they think their customers are m****s?

Don't have the problem with EON. With give our meter readings and they do adjust how much we should be paying but it doesn't cause any problems with winter as that is taken into account.

Sounds more like an nPower problem - but as they are known for being very pooor I'm not sure why anyone would use them and then criticsie them?

Edited by alan1302 on 02/06/2016 at 13:50

ENERGY - Engineer Andy

To be honest (and in my opinion, based on media reports, stories from friends/family/here and personal experience), most utility firms are rubbish, and adequate at best. I changed when I moved into my flat 10 years ago from Powergen to SSE, and generally have had a decent-ish customer service experience. I admit I may have been lucky.

They appear to have a better, and more understandable billing service than the likes on nPower, who have regularly come bottom in the 'big 6' customer service rankings and feature on BBC Watchdog etc with tales of customers' woes related to billing problems. I'm still amazed to this day how a firm providing only a handful of basic/straightforward services to the consumer, with a known regular payment method and way of checking usage can get things so wrong in this day and age. You have to wonder at the quality of their management/staff at all levels. Steering clear of them is, in my view, sound advice. They'll either get the message and change for the better, or go out of business.

ENERGY - daveyjp
Scottishpower are baffling me.

Changed in December. Just a gas bill in March, no way of providing an electric reading and no estimate from them. Come May they ask for readings. Website doesn't allow me to enter readings for electricity, but app does!

They e-mail for readings and I provide readings on about 20th May, 26th May bill arrives with my readings from 20 May and they have then estimated useage to 24th May! Bill is so confusing as they seem to use a rolling balance with debits and credits from previous bill I've had and paid.

They have asked for new readings so I'm going to provide new ones and see what happens!

No wonder those on DD get confused.
ENERGY - alan1302

I changed when I moved into my flat 10 years ago from Powergen to SSE, and generally have had a decent-ish customer service experience. I admit I may have been lucky.

Was reading an article the otherday where SSE came out on top for customer service/satisfaction

ENERGY - gordonbennet

update on our present energy suppliers, Zog for gas, Robin Hood for leccy.

Zog continue to be efficient and pleasant to deal with, following the fitting of a new boiler last year the bills have dropped considerably, easily viewed because Zog send an annual usage report in bar graph form showing the last 2 years usage, simple to understand even for a clot like me. We noticed the account credit was increasing thanks to this so i sent them an email asking to reduce the DD, within half an hour a pleasant email came back confirming DD reduction and refund of all but about £50 of credit, arrived in our bank the same night....full marks Zog.

Robin Hood's electric billing is a joy after nPowers mumbo jumbo, i send reading and its taken by variable dd a couple weeks later, nothing could be simpler. Staff pleasant on the phone and sorted out a long standing address of meter issue that no one else could over the last 14 years in 5 minutes flat. Only been with them since Jan or Feb but this is likely to be a long term arrangement just as with Zog for gas.

Cheerio big 6, never again.

As for nPower, the final final bill of £30 was finally deducted so i cancelled the DD at my bank, had an email from nPower telling me i'd cancelled said DD so they wouldn't be able to take the regular payment...the irony of that is probably lost on them..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/06/2016 at 23:26

Energy bills only twice a year - FoxyJukebox

Ok--here's the 2017 latest Npower billing trick. They are only issuing bills at six month intervals unless you request otherwise. Thus the marketing message that you should submit regular meter reads to ensure that you are not underpaying or overpaying is somewhat bogus.

There may be many who are happy to be in denial about there blockbusting gas useage during the winter months , but I am one who likes to know what my useage actually is . As a direct debit customer I am not interested in any computer generated marketing projections, comparisons, web pie charts and offers to graduate to a more expensive long term fix--I just want to know what I have used and how much MORE ( or less!) I need to pay!

I have now formally requested a bill to be generated every time I submit a meter read. If I don't get it--I'm off

Energy bills only twice a year - daveyjp

I've suffered my year of Scottish Power who can't even get billing right for credit customers.

Back to M&S (SSE) as they are cheapest for my preferred method of payment and I was with them for 2 years previously with no issues whatsoever.

Only downside is OFGEM banned incentives for switching tarriffs, so no more M&S vouchers for choosing them!

Energy bills only twice a year - FP

Coincidentally I have just been dealing with much the same thing with Npower. Suspecting my monthly direct debit for dual fuel is too high I took it up with them and they suggested taking meter readings and asking for a special bill based on that.

Unfortunately for me it turned out they were right - the direct debit amount is in fact slightly too low.

But if anyone who is paying by monthly direct debit suspects their supplier is getting it wrong and is unfairly hanging on to their money, that is the way to deal with it.

Energy bills only twice a year - Wackyracer

I'm with Npower and do my own meter reading on a monthly basis. Works very well for me.

On a similar note, I have just got a refund from EON who I left 5 years ago but, they did pay me interest on the refund.