Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - Don Simon

Hi

I have recently purchased a new Disco Sport with the new ingenium engine and I have been shocked at how poor the fuel economy is. I really Like the car but am avereaging only 34.2 miles to the gallon and the best I can get is 39 to 40 to the Gallon if I drive very, very sedately. Compared to the published data this is apalling. I am just wondering if anybody would like to share their experience with me as I am beginin to wonder if their is something wrong with my vehicle. Whilst I never expected to achieve the published figures I am so far of them I need to do a sanity check.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - skidpan

Its a big heavy 4 x 4, what did you honestly expect. Modern technology and fancy names cannot defeat the laws of the universe. Some people get little more than that with a FWD 1.6 diesel.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - gordonbennet

Agreed, shifting a nearly 2 ton all wheel driven motor on big tyres is going to cost in fuel, unless extreme restraint is going to be used re acceleration, cruising speed and maintaining progress as much as possible.

According to HJ's real MPG (above), you're getting about the same as other owners.

edit, i've only seen one or two of these new Disco Sports, and the ones i have seen have, just like Ewoks, been driven like the devil himself was at the wheel, max acceleration flying up to junctions, heavy braking, max acceleration back up to speed, hardly surprsing they're slurping juice...not as i'm suggesting our OP drives like his pants are on fire.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/02/2016 at 17:43

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - slkfanboy

Wow only 34mpg thats better than the 24mpg I would got years ago from my Volvo XC90.

Not really sure why on earth you would image that is bad?

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - Don Simon

Wow, pretty brutal responses in reality I am actually not that surprised at the real world fuel economy in reality. I obviously was not clear my disappointment was driven by Landrover claiming MPG figures of between 45 to 60 MPG based on the new "super efficient engine design" and "lightweight aluminium construction".

Obviously I never expected to achieve this but my frustration is the difference between the published figures and the real world. Thanks any way for the well intentioned and meaningfull responses I have had so far!!

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - xtrailman

The RR sport is only around 2.1T a much bigger car.

Edited by xtrailman on 03/02/2016 at 19:00

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - gordonbennet

from HJ's reviews above

RR Sport Kerb Weight 2115–2572 kg

Disco Sport Kerb Weight 1854–1863 kg, which by the time a lone driver and his bits and pieces are accounted for it will be a good 2 tons, not as it makes a scrap of difference.

Interestingly RR Sport appears to have lost weight, previous model was Kerb Weight 2455–2675 kg which is about right as on the export paperwork those and Disco 3/4 were declared at 2.7 tons.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - bazza

34mpg--sounds pretty good actually, I'd be happy with that. BIL's Freelander is much worse, more like 30 mpg tops. As comparison, neighbour's Altea 1.6 tdi is averaging 42mpg ( and that's on the optimistic fuel computer!). That's actually pretty terrible, seeing as our petrol Focus can nearly match that in the summer! Again, they claim something ridiculous (60mpg) but we all know (and you know!) these figures are fantasy.

Freelanders can have quite some stings in their tails.

I worked with a chap who owned a late 2006 Freelander 1, HSE Diesel auto fitted with the BMW engine as i recall, i thought something was wrong when i noticed the tax disc for something around £450, gulp, some mistake surely...when i got home looked it up on Parkers VED guide, sure enough it slips into the top banding, whoda thunk it.

I can well understand the OP's annoyance, and its high time this fantasy world of official fuel figures was either abandoned completely or came with a warning like cigarettes now do, along the lines of...''this information is as trustworthy and useful as a politicians promise''

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - xtrailman

RR lost around 400 kg a few years ago. Mainly due to a alli body.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - Cyd

Wow, pretty brutal responses in reality I am actually not that surprised at the real world fuel economy in reality. I obviously was not clear my disappointment was driven by Landrover claiming MPG figures of between 45 to 60 MPG based on the new "super efficient engine design" and "lightweight aluminium construction".

Obviously I never expected to achieve this but my frustration is the difference between the published figures and the real world. Thanks any way for the well intentioned and meaningfull responses I have had so far!!

You've clearly missed an important point which you would have understood if you'd read up on the subject:

All OEMs are required by law to conduct their tests in a lab

The only fuel economy results they are allowed to quote (by law) are the results of the lab test

SO if those results differ from real world then that is the fault of the law, not the OEM.

As an aside though, I know several people with new Disco Sports and they are all very happy with the economy compared to previos similar vehicles.

Personally I can't believe you're unhappy with nearly 40mpg from such a vehicle. If I could get anywhere near that from my saloon car I'd be grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - Ethan Edwards

My 12 Qashqai 2.0 Td Automatic 4x4 gives me up to 46mpg doing long runs. Perhaps you should get an old Nissan.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - HandCart

The car is also new: The economy may well improve a bit as the engine piles more miles on.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - madf

It is winter .MPG -10 to 20% on cold days..

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - Happy Blue!

Needs to get to at least 10,000 miles and being properly run in (as per the HJ guide on this site) before you can start to determine if the economy is poor.

I bought a new Renault Captur petrol last April. It took to least 2,500 miles before the economy settled down to a fairly regular 40mpg. Diesels, being tougher engines need a longer period to bed in.

Last CX-5 took 10K miles to run in, the xtrail more like 20K, but the latter showed an noticable improvement in fuel economy, the CX-5 was really no different.

Warmer weather has more impact IME.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - slkfanboy

>My 12 Qashqai 2.0 Td Automatic 4x4 gives me up to 46mpg doing long runs. Perhaps >you should get an old Nissan.

While i would a qashqai in preference to a Yeti etc. Off road and pure solid build make the Discovery something else. Driving accoss field at 50ish is like the M25 to a Qashqai and yes it's 4x4 which handles ice and snow well, not up to much when trying to drive out of a deep ditch.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - Chrishunt

I can understand the OPs shock and dissappointment at the apparent difference between promised (sales pitch) and real-world economy figures. I know that sales mpg figures are obtained from lab testing but some manufactures are significantly better than others when it comes to the difference - Honda springs to mind with a difference of around 10%.

As others have said - the car's not properly run in yet and it's winter so I would expect around 15% better in the summer and with a few thousand miles under the belt. That will bring you up to a fraction over 40mpg.

On the subject of the engine - I've seen reports that it hasn't been well received with most people believing it still needs a bit of work to be truly competitive. Could be that its release has been a little rushed, albeit that it has no doubt helped sales.

I can't say i was convinced by a couple of tricks they use to increase efficiency.

From memory a variable speed oil and water pump, just another complication and expense to replace?

Its also significantly down on power compared to the very old 2.2 it replaces, only 178 bhp, but the torque is excellent with a max at 1750 rpm i believe.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - oldtoffee

I get 28mpg out of my Santa Fe that is supposed to give me 43mpg and 36mpg out of the wife's C4 1.2 Gutless I mean Cactus that is supposed to give 65mpg. Real world driving versus lab conditions surely everybody knows about this by now?

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - madf

I can't say i was convinced by a couple of tricks they use to increase efficiency.

From memory a variable speed oil and water pump, just another complication and expense to replace?

BMW have done that for a decade.

And they arn't noted for engine durablity.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - Ethan Edwards

>My 12 Qashqai 2.0 Td Automatic 4x4 gives me up to 46mpg doing long runs. Perhaps >you should get an old Nissan.

While i would a qashqai in preference to a Yeti etc. Off road and pure solid build make the Discovery something else. Driving accoss field at 50ish is like the M25 to a Qashqai and yes it's 4x4 which handles ice and snow well, not up to much when trying to drive out of a deep ditch.

Maybe but boy do you pay at the pump and through the nose, for the ability that 99.99999999% of owners will NEVER use. For fear of scuffing their over priced metal.

You have to examine your needs and buy accordingly. I never need to drive through ditches to get to work and back. I use roads. Poor you having to drive through the darkest depths to get to Tescos er Waitrose.

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - NARU

You've clearly missed an important point which you would have understood if you'd read up on the subject:

All OEMs are required by law to conduct their tests in a lab

The only fuel economy results they are allowed to quote (by law) are the results of the lab test

SO if those results differ from real world then that is the fault of the law, not the OEM...

Mmm.

The Landcruiser I drive is in the second-to-top tax band. That's OK. I accept that its a big heavy beast.

But the following year, Toyota changed the diff oils for a lighter grade, and it sliped down a tax band, seeming to use a little less fuel (31.4 mpg instead of 30.4). My understanding is that the lighter grade was only used in the UK.

www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota-land-cruiser-11-0...p

Surprise, surprise, the real-world MPG is exactly the same as the older model.

So ... the fault of the law? Or the fault of a manufacturer gaming the system?

Edited by Marlot on 06/02/2016 at 09:48

Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - injection doc
You don't buy land rovers for economy !
My First Freelander 2 only did around 26mpg until 14 k then it started to improve.
My 2nd Freelander 2 , again with the 2.2td engine achieves around 36-42mpg if it's kept under 65 & driven by a nun.
Once it goes up to 70+ or used to overtake it drops to around 32-33 but it's only done 11k currently so I still expect improvement.
Expecting 46-60mpg is a little hopeful from 2 tons and 4WD..
Landr Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 Manual HSE Lux - New Discovery Sport Fuel Economy - Compost Corner

My Outback 2.5 man petrol got 32mpg.

My wife's Evoque 2.2 auto diesel got 28mpg.

Go figure.