Fitting LED bulbs to halogen downlighters - csgmart

I've just bought some new light fittings for my k****** and the packaging states they are suitable for energy classes C and D bulbs only (they come with halogen bulbs which are rated as D).

We also bought some A+ rated LED bulbs (GU10 fitting) which I want to use when the light fittings are installed. The packaging of the new light fittings has all energy classes crossed out apart from C and D which rather suggests that it is not possible to install and use lower (or higher) classes of bulbs.

I can understand why fitting a higher energy class of bulb would be an issue but I'm foxed by the reference to not using a lower energy class bulb.

Any electrictians out there like to offer me their opinions please?

If it helps this is a link to the item I purchased :- www.diy.com/departments/diall-brushed-chrome-effec...d

Fitting LED bulbs to halogen downlighters - focussed

The fittings and the bulb holders look identical to the type we have in our k******-bought from Lidl here in France.

The bulb end fitting type GU10 can be a halogen bulb or an led bulb -any bulb with a GU10 base will fit.

I have no idea what energy class C or D means.

We had halogen bulbs in the fittings, we now have Philips led bulbs, the 5 watt 36 degree beam spread are easily the equal of the 50 watt halogens, and they don't radiate any heat unlike the halogens and the power saving is just a matter of doing the maths.

10 halogens at 50 watt each = 500 watt

10 leds at 5 watts each = 50 watts

I have no idea what energy class C or D means.

See here for more details of Energy Class.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_energy_label

As part of the EU I'm sure you've seen these plastered on almost every type of electrical item you can buy in France, just as they are in the UK

Fitting LED bulbs to halogen downlighters - dimdip

Can't see why, electrically, the LED bulbs would be incompatible if high-energy halogens are okay. It's not something silly like the LED lamps being too long to fit?

Can't see why, electrically, the LED bulbs would be incompatible if high-energy halogens are okay. It's not something silly like the LED lamps being too long to fit?

Nope - the bulbs physically fit the light fitting.

Fitting LED bulbs to halogen downlighters - Energyman
It is probably linked to the heat generated by the different class of bulb affecting the fitting.
Put your hand in front of a halogen then compare to an led.
Fitting LED bulbs to halogen downlighters - dadbif
I have replaced all my halogen GU10 bulbs throughout my home, just plug them in.
It is important that you get the right type, they should be "warm white", some of the others are too harsh and produce a very sterile white light.
Bought mine from Wickes, sound £3 each. Been using them for over 12 months, no problems.
Not sure about down lighters, don't some of them have transformers in circuit?
I have replaced all my halogen GU10 bulbs throughout my home, just plug them in. It is important that you get the right type, they should be "warm white", some of the others are too harsh and produce a very sterile white light. Bought mine from Wickes, sound £3 each. Been using them for over 12 months, no problems. Not sure about down lighters, don't some of them have transformers in circuit?

My old downlighters have a transformer but these new units just wire straight into the mains and the LED bulbs are 240v.

I'm of the opinion that I'll just fit them and forget - I could understand if they were hotter than the halogen bulbs they are replacing but I believe they generate very little heat so should be fine.

Fitting LED bulbs to halogen downlighters - dadbif
I wouldn't worry about heat, compared to the halogen, LED's are stone cold
Fitting LED bulbs to halogen downlighters - Cyd

Some LED retrofit lamps are 'longer' than standard GU10s - usually the higher power ones (6watt or more)

However, the reason in your case is that the lights are quoted as dimmable. Only halogen lamps will retain that function. Most LED GU10s are non dimmable (note that you can buy dimmable ones now but at £££s).

However, the reason in your case is that the lights are quoted as dimmable. Only halogen lamps will retain that function. Most LED GU10s are non dimmable (note that you can buy dimmable ones now but at £££s).

Ah, good spot. Strange that they would rather lose apparent compatibility with low energy lamps just to be able to market the fittings as dimmable. They must think that's more attractive to some/most potential buyers.

Fitting LED bulbs to halogen downlighters - Cyd

It is. I did 7 years as a domestic electrician. Almost everyone with downlights wants them on a dimmer.

Fitting LED bulbs to halogen downlighters - focussed

It is. I did 7 years as a domestic electrician. Almost everyone with downlights wants them on a dimmer.

Sorry mate I don't - why would I want to dim the k****** lights?

I just want to switch them on and see what I'm doing-sorry if that's a bit simplistic!

Sorry mate I don't - why would I want to dim the k****** lights?

No need to swear

;)