Ford Focus - Condensation in Headlights - Glasgow26

Went to see the Ford Focus that I'm due to pick up tomorrow evening. I noticed that the headlights have some condensation - the Salesman has said that this could be due to the car sitting around in the compound and not being used. I don't know if I should now go ahead with buying the car. Its a bit offputting. I feel a bit panicky about it all.

Ford Focus - Condensation in Headlights - Wukl

Don't get in a state about it, really not worth it! I notice alot of cars (even a new Audi up my road) with bits of condesation in the headlights. It has been very damp for a long time now in (I'm assuming you are in the UK) and unless the car is used everyday it's easy for condensation to build up. If it were just one headlight, I'd be more concerned the unit was faulty rather than it being doe to prevailing conditions.

As long as it is condensation of course, and not 'standing water' which may point to something more serious. Don't panic, but are you confident there is no other sign of water in the car? Under the carpets for example, any smell of damp (or conversely too much air freshener) etc, anything to suggest the car may have been the victim of flood immersion?

Ford Focus - Condensation in Headlights - Glasgow26

There doesnt seem to be any sign of water anywhere else. Its a pre-reg Focus with 42 miles on the clock. Yes, I'm in the UK (Glasgow, Scotland where its cold!). Its put me off buying the car to be honest.

Ford Focus - Condensation in Headlights - Galaxy

There must be loads of pre-reg Focuses (Foci?) around that are for sale.

Just look for one that doesn't have condensation in the headlights!

Ford Focus - Condensation in Headlights - focussed

I've got a Honda Civic that is what might be called "in storage" this winter. IE It sits around in a barn and gets used a couple of times a month and yes the headlights and foglights get condenstion in them where they didn't fog up before not being used. It isn't due to faulty light units because I replaced one of the foglights 3 months ago and it's got condensation in it.

Run the car up for 15-20 mins with all the lights on and it'll slowly disappear.

It could be one of the rare occasions when a car salesman is telling the truth!

Ford Focus - Condensation in Headlights - slkfanboy

All modern headlights are ventilated through small holes at the top and bottom. Ideally, they allow a gentle flow of air through the enclosure. If there was no ventilation there would be no way for the condensation ever to disappear. However, this flow of air can also allow moisture to enter the headlight. And then the same thing happens to the glass in the headlight as happens to the windows in a car when it’s cold outside and warm inside. You get a thin film of condensation. So basically when you start driving the car it will be gone!

Ford Focus - Condensation in Headlights - Ben 10
It's a known thing with Focus headlights. Especially if it's been standing for a while. The moisture will disappear when the lights have been on for a while, they are ventilated to accommodate this. My 15 plate Focus does it as well. It's been a trait of the Focuses from the mark 1.
But if there is any water sloshing around, the seal has gone or the vents are blocked.