Malta imported car - daveyK_UK
Hi,
Can someone kindly advise as to the problems and pitfalls of buying a Malta import?

The car in question is a Ford Focus 1.0 Zetec spec, the spec seems identical to the UK spec.

The price is considerably cheaper than a pre reg UK spec car.

What are the pitfalls?
Cons?
Problems?
Will it have a proper V5?

Thank you for any help.
Malta imported car - daveyK_UK
One more bit of info, the dealer tells me it has a 2 year ford warranty but no breakdown cover.

Thanks
Malta imported car - TedCrilly

If Maltese imports were such a bargain wouldnt everyone would be buying them!

Does the price you are expecting to pay include all UK taxes and duties and does the 2 year warranty apply if the car is registered here in the UK? Also will the docs indicate it is an import and consequently impact on its 2nd hand value and possibly cause insurance difficulties?

I think you need to be certain of those points before going any further in the decision making process.

Edited by TedCrilly on 30/01/2016 at 21:08

Malta imported car - xtrailman

When i liiked into a Nissan T30 import, they didn't have the same equipment, no alarm and a different warranty, plus reduced residuals.

Less under body protection was also mentioned, so do your home work.

Malta imported car - Falkirk Bairn

I bought an Xtrail in 2007 - Cyprus import - 3 yr warranty.

I bought a CRV 2012 - Cyprus import 3yr warranty (60K not 90K as per UK) but I am a low mileage driver now so no difference to me.

Both have been fine, no repairs only servicing, tyres & wipers.

Neighbour had some teething issues with his Focus. Local Dealer sorted matters out OK under warranty.

My CRV was some £5000 less than the best deal at a UK dealer. I paid £13.3K + my Xtrail as T/I. One Honda dealer wanted £19.6K+my Xtrail. The only spec difference was no locking wheelnuts which cost me £30 for McGards as fitted by Honda UK.

Malta imported car - Engineer Andy

My current car (2006 Mazda3 mk1) is also an import from Cyprus (through Motorpoint and a blindly good deal it was too on a car with delivery miles only!) - it still had the CoC, 3 year warranty and had the speedo facia and odometers changed from km/h to miles/h. All part of the EU, so no problems with the paperwork (one of the few 'good' things about our membership).

Malta became an EU member in 2004, so the same rules should apply as (the Greek part of) Cyprus, so in theory there shouldn't be any problems if the above conversions are done (Malta, like Cyprus, drives on the left like us so no problems with LHD cars). If its a direct import, this will need to be checked before the OP takes possession.

The car, will, however, be likely classed as an 'import' by some/all insurers and will cost a bit more (though not as much as a 'grey import') even though it is materially the same as UK spec models in its components - the actual trim levels do vary (mine was similar to a TS2 [and was called a TS2] but had front fog lamps in lieu of a CD player (just the radio only) and tractio/stability control (never needed), hence the cheap deal (£10299+prep charge).

Not sure about the V5 if the OP is importing it themselves and buying directly from a Maltese dealer, rather than as I did where Motorpoint arranged all the V5 and other paperwork.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 31/01/2016 at 08:49

Malta imported car - Smileyman

check the speedometer - UK cars need to have miles and km on them, with the odometer in miles - not sure if Malta will comply (also applies to Cyprus & Eire)

Malta imported car - Auristocrat

Toyotas sold in Malta are to the same spec as UK cars, because Toyota GB are responsible for sales within the UK and Malta. Other European countries have separate importers.

Edited by Auristocrat on 31/01/2016 at 10:30

Malta imported car - Ethan Edwards

Malta is in the EU isn't it? Why do you need to pay import duty etc. Are we only in the EU when it suits the powers that be then?