BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - Ghj67

I recently owned a 2002 BMW E39 530d which I bought from new, covered 172000 largely trouble free miles and sold it in excellent condition. I changed the oil every 6-7000 miles.

I have replaced it with a new 2015 5series F10 535d with 50,000 mile service pack but the first oil chage is not due until 21,000 miles. I recently took it in to the local BMW dealer for an additional oil change at 10,000 miles. When booking I was told that an additional oil change was not necessary and that I was wasting my money, but after I insisted they agreed to do the work for an estimated £182. When I dropped it off on the day the receptionist again insisted the work wasn't necessary and I was told that BMW would not normally carry out unnecessary work. As they had agreed to book in the car they then agreed to undertake it. Actual charge £210.

I intend to service this car optimally and keep it for 10 years and 180-200,000 miles, can you advice the optimal oil change frequency - 7000 miles, 10,000, or advised by BMW.

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - gordonbennet

We'll assume you intend another long ownership...edit, idiot i am should have read, and digested, the second sentence....

If it were mine i'd slip in a change at 10,000 at half way house.

However i wouldn't be bending over and taking that quite scandalous rip off charge, i'd change my own mid term but if that doesn't appeal maybe find an indy whom you trust to put quality oil and genuine filter, say nothing to the main dealer but keep receipts to prove sensible service regime when you eventually come to sell the car, the private market will appreciate.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/01/2016 at 19:42

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - RobJP

I've got a 325d, and hate the extended oil change intervals. I also used to work in oil technical development and testing at one of the majors, so this isn't just personal opinion or bias.

My car was reckoning on first oil change at 18-19k. I had it in to my local BMW dealer (Llandudno) at 10k for an oil and filter change. Total cost approx £180.

Now, my car only had a 2.0 engine, where yours is a 3.0, so I'd expect your bill to be higher. However, as long as the garage isn't ripping you off, then I'd go main dealer. I'd also tell the dealer NOT to reset the service requirements on the car, but only to enter the work done into the service record on the car. That way you still get your 'service inclusive' changes at the due time / mileage.

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - elekie&a/c doctor

As above,I would do a mid term oil and filter.Just make sure the correct low ash oil is used.More info here;www.bmw-service.co.uk/service_icons

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - Avant

I would hope that both engines and oils have progressed a bit since service intervals became commonly 10,000 miles - which was about 30 years ago I think.

Recently a BMW salesman told me the dealership recommended 12 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. OK - what would a salesman know about it? - but that does seem reasonable.

You'd like to think so Avant, but until these makers start putting their money where their service requirements are, and as Kia/Hundai/Toyota etc, offer genuine long life warranties to match their long life (ho ho) servicing-to-please-leasers, many of us will assume that they still fit timing chains (or other weak point of any chosen brand) of cheese in the most stupid places imaginable that last not very well, we'll just continue service things the way we've found works.

Yup, as GB says.

Much like you'd hope that oils have advanced, you'd also hope that timing chains, timing belts, waterpumps, pickup strainers in sumps, mechatronics units in gearboxes, ABS modules, etc. were all built to last (or be easily serviced) these days.

Oops. Maybe not.

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - craig-pd130

Recently a BMW salesman told me the dealership recommended 12 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. OK - what would a salesman know about it? - but that does seem reasonable.

12 months or 18K miles is the Volvo service interval: there is no long-life option, they want to change the oil every year. On its new VEA engines, Volvo also stipulates that ONLY a specific 0W20 Castrol oil is used, the motor was designed with this low-friction, low-ash oil in mind.

You can look at this one of two ways:

1) Volvo believes that a year or 18,000 is the realistic service life of the oil in its engines, or

2) Volvo wants to give its dealers annual service revenue, and doesn't have a large enough market presence to be bothered about minimising service costs to attract the fleet / PCP buyers for the critical 3-years-from-new ownership period.

As GordonBennett pointed out above, it is amusing that none of the so-called premium brands will put their money where their mouth is, and actually offer a warranty longer than three years. This tells you everything you need to know about how much those premium brands spend on marketing, compared with engineering and development.

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - hardway

Ah yea the receptionist said!

Oh she'll know all about it?

But she will know the conditions of the "service pack"!

I'll refer you to google and the million mile BMW,

look it up.

Probably something you'll aprecieate.

Anyway despite "common" knowledge oil DOES NOT DETERIORATE!

But it does become contaminated,

mostley with combustion gas blow past.

thats where you get the nice black colour and sludge.

Mercedes sprinter vans were at one time a byword for reliability,

thenn they changed the service schedule,

to the joy of fleet buyers,

instant reduction on yearly running costs!

Great for fleet operators,

not so good if your in the market for a S/H van.

If you want to get your oil changed more often I'm with you.

Google million mile BMW for the proof that neither you or I need.

Buy the oil your self and an O/E filter and get any good indie to change it.

It'll cost you a lot less and come time to sell it yours with full and additional sevice history will have them lined up round the block.

The OP has said that they are looking at keeping the car for a serious length of time. As such, at least in the first 5 years, I'd recommend getting ALL the 'additional' services carried out by BMW.

When out of warranty, the likelyhood of getting 'goodwill' contributions will be highly dependent on having a highly comprehensive main agent service record.

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - DanCactus1200

Service intervals with manufactures are getting longer and longer now. My advice (and with all cars I've looked after) would be to replace the oil once per year or every 10,000 miles, whatever comes sooner. It isn't so much the use of the oil but time sitting in the sump also!

As you are keen to keep the car for the foreseeable future, i'd recommend these intervals get tighter and the miles pile on.

And don't forget your gearbox oil! BMW and every other manufacture I can think of say it's sealed for life, but it's best to replace around 80,000 miles. Especially if it is a manual gear box.

Certainly hope you enjoy your new F10 535, they are wonderful cars.

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - galileo

And don't forget your gearbox oil! BMW and every other manufacture I can think of say it's sealed for life, but it's best to replace around 80,000 miles. Especially if it is a manual gear box.

Hyundai changed the gear oil at the 6 yr/60000 service on my i30. Presumably Kia have the sam policy for the Ceed.

Probably why they give longer warranties than BMW/VW

Agreed about the gearbox too.

Who started this sealed for life cobblers, Merc, Range Rover, BMW, Jaguar?, all and others went through this phase no doubt to please the high mileage company car and lease markets, but you'd think they would have put a time/mileage proviso in the service regime, conveniently far off (say 5 years, 100k) that most company car sales would be unaffected, but some sort of safeguard for their once good names, if they're even remotely bothered, when in second and third user hands.

Again those who stand by their products never went down this road and their traditional auto boxes are respected as reliable/durable as a result, not so their dabbles in automated manuals eh Toyota?

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - DanCactus1200

Again those who stand by their products never went down this road and their traditional auto boxes are respected as reliable/durable as a result, not so their dabbles in automated manuals eh Toyota?

Oh, do not get me started on Toyota piloted manual gearboxes! New clutch in 30,000 miles, got to love that. My experiance is with it in Citroen C1's.

Oh, do not get me started on Toyota piloted manual gearboxes! New clutch in 30,000 miles, got to love that. My experiance is with it in Citroen C1's.

Daughters manual Aygo needed a new clutch at roughly 45k, seems soon for a later car with the bigger clutch but it does an awful lot of town work, and it was changed soon as it showed the first signs in order to protect the flywheel.

Just for comparison, Mr T wanted £700 or was it £750?, the indy we use regularly did it for £280 incl using LUK parts...how does that compare to the auto version?, in theory the same price i would have thought?

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - Wackyracer
If I was the OP, I'd do my own intermediate oil changes and not tell the BMW dealer.

I would use genuine BMW filters and a good quality oil of the correct grade/ specification, that way they should be none the wiser and there should be no problems. Alot cheaper than £200 a pop.
BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - balleballe

My mate who is a senior BMW tech changes his every year or 12k. Make of that what you will. I asked him a while back and it depends on your driving habits/styles. Shorter journeys will mean more frequent oil changes.

Interestingly, the Japanese who are known for their reliability seem to have similar change intervals. My Honda Booklet specifies every year or 12.5k (whichever is soonest) and advises more frequent oil changes if lots of short journeys are done.

An oil change with filter can be done at an independent for 100 quid, which is nothing when you look at the cost of turbo issues.

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - Wackyracer
Out of interest, what is the definition of a short Journey? less than 20 miles?
BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - YG2007

All manufacturers have extended the oil serivices of cars. This is in part to take advantage of improved lubricants and a reduction in contaminants (from over fuelling etc..) entering the oil. However Oil ages and oxidises whether you do 2000 a year or 20000 a year. It makes good sense to change the oil annually or at the recommended service interval which ever is the sooner. Modern oils can tolerate higher mileages between services but I would still do an anuual change to remove the accumulated contaminantes and give those important bits (2 turbos in the OP's case) maximum life expectancy. If you are going to do one beween the recommended mileage settings at say 10000 miles (annually) then try the lubricant websites such as Comma oil and enter your reg number. They will specify the correct oil type for your particular engine. At our garage for example we carry 6 diffent grades of 5-30 synthetic in stock to cater for all the engine specific lubricants. Make sure you put in the correct grade of oil. Its as important as the change itself. The wrong oil can lead to wear, DPF blockages, more fuel consumption and in extreme cases partial siezure.

hope this helps

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - thunderbird

When I owned a BMW I bought a Pela oil suction pump and every year sucked the oil out (well most of it) and replaced it with the correct BMW oil, think it was 0w-30 LL04, several bramnds are available.

I accept that the filter was not changed and the sump drained from the bottom but at least it got about 5 litres of new clean stuff into the engine which is better than leaving the oil in for 2 years, well it is IMHO.

If you buy one make sure the oil I good and hot, that ensures any particles are suspended in the oil instead of being at the bottom of the sump and hot thin oil is sucked out so much faster.

The oil used to cost me about £30 and still have the Pela for future use. Way better than garage prices, no mess, takes about 15 minutes.

Does the engine in this have a dipstick tube to get the Pela down?

BMW 5 series F10 535d - How often should I change the oil - thunderbird

Does the engine in this have a dipstick tube to get the Pela down?

Mine did, a 2008 2 litre.

My sons 2007 325i petrol doesn't, and from everything he's read there isn't a solution to the missing dipstick available, he was hoping there might be a suitable blanked off hole where one could be retrofitted.

If you know of such a thing, details would be gratefully received.