500 motorway miles per week - what car? - Chantelle97
Hi, I am looking for a car to do around 500 motorway miles per week (for the university term so approximately 25 weeks of the year). I'm looking for a comfortable car with decent MPG (43+). However, due to being an 18 year old who has had a crash I'd need something in a relatively low insurance group. At the moment I'm driving an 07 Fiat Grande punto.
Thanks
500 motorway miles per week - what car? - 72 dudes

Are you looking to buy new or used? What is your budget?

Used and around £6000
500 motorway miles per week - what car? - Bromptonaut

Are you at Uni already or intending to start next September?

I latter be aware than not all universities welcome student cars and place restrictions via permits etc. My daughter was a Sheffield Hallam and would have found it very difficult to keep a car either at Halls or her year's private rental.

Not easy on campuses either.

Hi, I am at university however I shall be commuting each day due to my parents health is deteriorating quickly. I am allowed to keep a car provided I pay for parking as its Cardiff University. This doesn't really bother me as my parents health is more important that parking fees, as a result I'm looking for a reliable car for a hour commute each way.
500 motorway miles per week - what car? - oldroverboy.

My wife travelled daily from Carmarthen to Pontypridd for a postgrad diploma course, and we used a chevrolet cruze and epica part of the time and both did the job well.

I would suggest for you a kia rio 2010 and later 1,2 petrol. we have one as our main car now and you should get one with some warranty on within your budget. Just about to replace ours (2013) with a kia venga for the higher seating position.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 23/01/2016 at 17:03

Thanks, I shall be looking into one. I will be commuting from Llanelli to Cardiff each day so it's a similar distance.
500 motorway miles per week - what car? - scot22

No comment re motoring issue. However, very best wishes Chantelle - its lovely to read of a young person being so caring and responsible. You deserve every success : do use University support services if you need help.

500 motorway miles per week - what car? - Cyd

What's wrong with continuing to use the Punto? Pile the miles on, then throw it away.

Hi, I currently leave my car at home due to myself and my mother sharing a car (I leave it at home while at university) So, I'd rather folk out myself for a new car opposed to my mother buying one. I also know my current car is pretty reliable and she is familiar with it (had a new clutch,cambelt,starter and flywheel done in the last 4 months so she doesn't have to worry about it breaking down.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Edited by Chantelle97 on 23/01/2016 at 23:33

500 motorway miles per week - what car? - bazza

I drove a similar commute some years ago. Coming through Swansea/Port Talbot, you'll need to allow for traffic and minor shunts fairly regularly. There are places around Cardiff UNi that are free street parking if you don't mind walking 10 or 15 mins, eg Woodville Road area-- if you get there at the right time.

Car wise, a Fiesta 1.4 would be a good option, straighforward car and good all rounder. You don't really need to spend 6K. As ORB suggests, a Kia Picanto/Rio or the Hyundai i10 worth checking out. Don't forget Yaris 1.3, tough and reliable. That would probably be my choice, or the Fiesta.

500 motorway miles per week - what car? - Oli rag

Another tick for a Toyota Yaris from me. A Mazda 2 (not diesel) could be another good choice, never driven one, but the ride may be a bit hard.

500 motorway miles per week - what car? - Chris M

So if you both like the Punto, why not buy another one for your mother to use during the week and you use the current one for commuting. It takes the wear and tear and the new one doesn't.

500 motorway miles per week - what car? - 72 dudes

A Kia Rio would be a good choice, as Oldroverboy says, as would a Fiesta. You don't even need a 1.4 for motorway journeys, the 1.25 is surprisngly spritely and has no trouble cruising at illegal speeds. Fiestas are comfortable too.

I would avoid the smaller city cars that Bazza suggests, too small and uncomfortable for 100 miles per day, and as they's be working harder, no gains in economy.