VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - angelcyn

In the recent cold weather the stop start Bluemotion fails to kick in, the handbook states that engine temperature and other factors can mean the system will not kick in.

But it does not kick in at all until the outside temperature rises above freezing, the local dealer questioned if the air con was on which is a bit silly in freezing weather.

Does this mean that to all intents and purposes the stopstart is reliant on the temperature being above freezing or is there another reason for this failure, if it only works in "ideal conditions" there is not a lot of point to it, searching the internet reveals this is a problem does it apply to all makes stop start systems or just VAG group.

VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - RobJP

Car batteries are less afficient in cold temperatures. In really cold countries cars have higher capacity batteries fitted as standard, because otherwise your car might not even start in -30 C.

BMW operate a similar system. If the air temp is under 3 C, then the auto-stop/start does not operate.

This is to protect the battery from premature failure. It is not a fault or a 'problem'.

VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - Railroad.
The stop/start function is also disabled when the air conditioning is on and the climatronic system is set to either 'HI' or 'LO'. Or when the system is demanding hot air on a cold day, or cold air on a hot day. Use the system, you'll figure out when it works and when it doesn't.
VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - jc2

The Ford driver's manual states that "stop-start" function will not operate when outside temperatures are too high or too low but does not give the temperatures.

VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - angelcyn

Thanks for all the above, I had got to that scenario and was really fishing as to any differences with different manufacturers as to how they approached this eco system.

The only thing I find strange is if this system is sold in a cold climate country it would work on such a limited basis as to be useless.

I was extremely dubious as to its worth when I purchased the car as it was included in the spec, some years ago a regulated test was conducted as to the merits of switching ones engine off when at a standstill in traffic, the conclusion was that you only gained efficiency if the wait was 30 seconds or more, below that the starting procedure used more fuel than was gained by switching off, it would be interesting to know if that standard still applies ?

VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - RT

It's not just the ambient temperature, it also takes the battery charge status into account - all car batteries have to work harder in cold weather - takes more energy to start the car from cold, heated rear windows, heated seats, low engine rpm in traffic, etc all reduce the battery charge.

It may be that S/S isn't standard in cold climate countries.

VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - jc2

Most manufacturers offer different options for different countries-including different body styles(some countries buy more estates than sedans,for example)and also different colours.And,as already said,different batteries,heating and cooling systems etc..

VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - Steveieb

Will you be too bothered if it never works again?

Getting stuck in traffic and the starter motor and battery has the equivalent of a months use in 10 minutes. When I walk along by a stream of stationary traffic all I hear is a chorus of clicking starter motors.

Is this really progress? Or do the missions actually rise after the car starts up rather than keep it ticking over ?

VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - Railroad.
Diesel engines have no EGR at idle and so in towns they can be quite polluting. That's mainly what the stop/start system is meant for. If you wish to override it you can by either keeping your foot on the clutch pedal (although this isn't recommended) or you can use the button on the dash to disable it. Personally I keep mine working as normal as it doesn't really bother me.
VW Golf V11 TSI - Stop start failure - RT
Diesel engines have no EGR at idle and so in towns they can be quite polluting. That's mainly what the stop/start system is meant for. If you wish to override it you can by either keeping your foot on the clutch pedal (although this isn't recommended) or you can use the button on the dash to disable it. Personally I keep mine working as normal as it doesn't really bother me.

I disliked mine to start with - but soon got used to it as I discovered that the brake pedal switch has two positions - by carefully ALMOST releasing the brake pedal, I can restart the engine but stop the car moving.

And I can apply the electronic handbrake, select neutral on the autobox and release footbrake - to avoid dazzling the numpties who pull up too close behind me!